Sign in to follow this  
Scott R. Cohen

Buying Some Pre-Ban

My stocks are running very low - I'm down to 1/4 bottle François Guy, a little Eich, some Edouard gone bad that should be sinked, and one dose of my first La Fee still sitting around. I was about to make a new order when I remembered that Oxy had some Pernod Fils samples that were on the market.

So I decided to finally go for it and made my order for a large sample!

I'm very excited so I figured I'd share. :yahoo:

That's pretty accurate. An epiphany followed by sadness and frustration at modern absinthe's inability to even come close. I never had much of a desire to be rich until I tried pre-ban.

But what's the big deal? Pre-ban is all anise-y and stuff. Where's the wormwood? After all, it's called absinthe, you know. And 1914 was like a really, really bad year. Lots of like death and stuff. So I think you really don't want to imitate the past.

:)

(I'm sure someone wants to kill me now...)

ps Congrats on your pre-Ban! It will change your view of what absinthe was.

(I'm sure someone wants to kill me now...)

Why, no, Dakini, not at all.

Since I've ceased Absomphesizing my overrated 1914, I've lost that urge to Lanfraysize. :devil:

What? you mean with all the technology at our disposal, and I assume recipes and documentation, and I also assume the same ingredients are available, we still can't faithfully duplicate pre-ban? What's the deal? Or is it the fact that pre-ban has been aged 90+ years at this point? Is it global warming? The magnetic poles fluctuating? The Spice Girls getting back together? What? :euro:

Your world is about to change. At least your ideas about absinthe will. I believe some have used the term "epiphany."

Who would be given to such hyperbole? Nonsense!

Um, ok. It ranked in the top 20 personal events of my last 50 years. Maybe top 12. ;)

Since I've ceased Absomphesizing my overrated 1914, I've lost that urge to Lanfraysize. :devil:

Thankfully! I'd hate to see your avatar in a mug shot.

The sample of 1914 I tried was the best absinthe I've had. By such a huge margin that nothing else comes close. That includes the Jades I've had as good as they are. My experiences are not as varied as many folks; so my perspective is limited.

I just accept the fact that the absinthes available today might not find favor with the Parisians of 1914.

Tasting pre-Ban was a wonderful thing. But I'm sure it wasn't was wonderful as being part of the WS. Or attending HAN II.

What? you mean with all the technology at our disposal, and I assume recipes and documentation, and I also assume the same ingredients are available, we still can't faithfully duplicate pre-ban? What's the deal? Or is it the fact that pre-ban has been aged 90+ years at this point? Is it global warming? The magnetic poles fluctuating? The Spice Girls getting back together? What? :euro:

I've wondered about this...

Everyone loves pre-ban products. Jade products are supposed to be replicas. I wonder if the pre-ban absinthes are SO good only because of their age?? If one were to age Jade 1910 90 years, would it taste better? I suppose it is impossible for any of us to know.

The sample of 1914 I tried was the best absinthe I've had. By such a huge margin that nothing else comes close.

Edouard Pernot edged out the 1914, for me, although the two were quite different. The Pernot was richer, and more forward in both anise, and wormwood, a real cigar absinthe, as compared to the more floral complexity of the Pernod Fils.

And, yes, both of those blew away any of today's absinthes, including the Jades.

I wonder if the pre-ban absinthes are SO good only because of their age?? If one were to age Jade 1910 90 years, would it taste better? I suppose it is impossible for any of us to know.

Don't be silly. I put a bottle back for Oscar & Hissy's NYE Blowout 2107! :wheelchair:

Edouard Pernot edged out the 1914

For me as well. Also the H.Basinette and the Pernod Tarragona. All three exhibited more of the 'aged' absinthe caramel-y taste that I was hoping for. Regardless, the 1914 was (and still is) fantastic. And it really is a miracle that it still seems so fresh after so many years. It's like time stood still for it.

All three exhibited more of the 'aged' absinthe caramel-y taste that I was hoping for. Regardless, the 1914 was (and still is) fantastic.

If you haven't opened your second bottle of 1914, I'd say the odds are that it will have more of that "Rolls Royce leathery, caramelly effect than your "very green" bottle...unless of course, Oxy sent you two of those, but that seems unlikely, since there were only a few in such pristine condition.

I don't think either of them were the 'very green' bottles, but the one I opened still didn't have as much of that aged flavor. It definitely had the vintage absinthe color, but the flavor was still much younger than I expected.

The other bottle is under lock and key until 2014.

From the photo you posted, it definitely appeared to be the bright, very pale green color of the best preserved group...mine is the more typical golden/amber color, and definitely has that caramel-like background, which seems to have obscured that peppery quality you mentioned.

Since your second bottle is probably similar, you can look forward to it in 2014. :devil:

de Nimes if sold then could be extrait d'absinthe, not extrait d'anis and the Berger I have had was definitely one of the greatest in that vein, if not the greatest.

And congrats :cheers: Pernods are never a disappointment. And their anise is not that aggresive and sharp as in modern approximations of the style.

From the photo you posted, it definitely appeared to be the bright, very pale green color of the best preserved group

Interesting. I was under the impression that some of the most well preserved ones were in the opaque white bottles. The pics I saw of how green they were made mine seem mud brown by comparison.

Actually, in the photos I saw, the color was so pale as to be almost clear. Artemis was the first to note this unusual phenomenon, and it was speculated that, perhaps, since this cache was part of one of the very last French PF batches to be produced, the distillery had run short of sufficient coloration ingredients to achieve the more typical, deeper peridot hue.

Yours seemed just as bright, but more definitively green in color, (probablythe best bottle of the 76) and I attribute this to your being quick, and sharp enough to be first (or nearly so) to jump on the bandwagon and order a bottle... Oxy's prize he awarded for astuteness, and quick reflexes. :thumbup:

My sample just arrived today.

Sometime in the next few days when I can have some serious me-time I'll have my very first taste.

And thank you for your enthusiasm, everyone - it's appreciated. I know that I'm excited! :yahoo:

Hi all

I just purchased a small sample of Dornier - Tuller. This purchase has caused havoc with my budget. But since I missed the 1905 Pernod Fils, there was no way I was letting this batch get past me. So I just went for it. :thumbup:

Yes this is exciting, a taste of history

:cheers: to all

Good for you! I'm pretty sure you'll be glad you did, once you taste it. I know I was, and the trouble now is not sucking the damn little bottle dry. I think I'm gonna do a Shabba, and seal it up until 2014. That sounded like a really cool thing to me, and the roughly one glass I can have, maybe on NYE 2014, will be soooo delicious! :cheers:

I am going to be crass here.

How much do these samples go for? I've always wondered but have never been in the position where I could delve into this further. How much did the bottles of the 1914 go for?

Yes it is true I have no class. :wave2: