Gwydion Stone

Duplais & De Brevans - 19th Century Distiller's Manuals

Was the Duplais book ever published in english?
Yes. I'll be putting it up here sometime in the not-too-distant future. The book is somewhat thick and unwieldy (not unlike my... um, nevermind) and difficult to lay flat to get good scans, either for images or OCR.

Well, I don't know if this is not-too-distant any more, but the full text of Duplais as well as that of De Brevans are now available as free downloads from the WS web site. Each of the nearly 1000 pages was personally scanned by yours truly.

It took me much longer to secure copies than I originally thought because the Duplais I'd planned on using was too old and delicate to use without harming it. I want to express my sincere appreciation and thanks to the folks involved in moving this project forward.

It will not escape notice that this release comes hot on the heels of Oxygenée announcing his pending release of a printed, bound, hardcover scanned copy of Duplais. This is almost entirely coincidental. I say almost, because his announcement is what made me get off my ass and post this, but a good number of people know that I started this project months ago, and with no knowledge of Oxy's project, and I privately distributed CDs of it about a month ago. Recently, I found a free hosting alternative which enabled the download of the large, 33MB file. The timing is unfortunate, and this could have been avoided if either of us had known what the other was up to, but there's no way I was going to let that much work go without fruition.

The aim of my release is to simply put this important historic information in people's hands. It will stimulate conversation in the community and spread education as well as assisting those in the trade who may not have it. If you're inclined to have a sturdy, tangible book, a digital file is no substitute. But if all you want is the knowledge, these are here for you.

Best to all,

~ Hiram

Everyone just got their money's worth on this one. Wait! It's free?!!! :shock:

This is an incredible historical record. I can't imagine anyone here not going ga-ga over it.

Thanks for all your hard work and diligence, Hiram.

Dowloaded. de Brevans read. Duplais almost. The downloading was really, really quick (4 mins for de Brevans, 28 mins for Duplais).

Thank you very, very, very much :cheers: Seems that all the authors of that time were including exactly (or almost) the same recipes (like Raspail or Four Seeds Liqueur, or Creme de Barbados, etc) when I have confronted them with Polish manuals. Thanks again :thumbup:

I know a lot of people will really appreciate all the work you put into this.

Here's to you, your efforts, and to better absinthe for all! Plus it might just be legal here. :cheers:

1000 pages of scanning! Yikes! A mighty effort, fit for the ages. I downloaded them all, and will enjoy reading them, if only to appreciate the work that goes into the final product. Thanks for all the work. I know what it takes to get good scans and the invariable tweaking that goes along with it

Does anyone know if the Brevans offered by Lion follows the recipe included here? I would think it would be great to have distiller notes while one was enjoying the final product. I love the Giger label also, although I can pass on ELP... I was more of a Genesis kind of guy.

Dating myself again...

I'm guessing every modern commercial absinthe is based on the recipes in those books but tweaked to some extent in either the recipe or technique. How much is anyone's guess.

I'll forgive the ELP comment. Brain Salad Surgery was one of my favorite tours.

Thanks for the props everybody, you're very welcome.

1000 pages of scanning! Yikes! A mighty effort, fit for the ages.
It's what I do. I have a pretty kick-ass high-speed flatbed scanner.
Does anyone know if the Brevans offered by Lion follows the recipe included here? I would think it would be great to have distiller notes while one was enjoying the final product.
Yep, at least it's based on one:
Absinthe Brevans is named for Jacques de Brevans, author of the French liquor-maker's manual, "La Fabrication des Liqueurs". It is based from a recipe in this book dating from 1897. The base alcohol is a balanced mixture of wine alcohol and marc and the herbs used are sourced from the same region as those used by the most famous historical absinthe distillers. Absinthe Brevans is colored naturally, and only with additional plants. The result is a highly complex, authentically reproduced absinthe, worthy of the best makers of the past.
Dating myself again...
I pretty much stopped doing that when I got married.

I'd like a nice online copy of Harlan Ellison's I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream" about now. Can you whip that out for me before bedtime?

Actually, that made have come out wrong. Oops! There I go again.

Fascinating that none of the violet liqueur or creme de violette recipes contain violet!

They are all based on orris root!

I guess it has a violet-like taste?

I also thought that parfait amour contained violet. None of the several formulations for that liqueur contain violet, either. Mostly, citrus and coriander. Sometimes anise.

Really excited about the Vermouth recipes. Definitely going to try something similar to those soon!

OK, kudos. I should have known you'd be able to source that. Identifiable is what I was going for. Let me make a couple requests, by far less common. Obviously, nothing to do with the topic, and I'll stop after this, but....

"The Lost Elixir" by George Griffith. Whatever you find by T. L. Sherred. Find them online, downloadable, and you'll be a SciFi god.

By the way, read Sherred, and you'll be changed, I think. I was. Sound & the Fury did it to me too. As did Flannery O'Connor, as did Doris Lessing. Just a few. I love lit.