We're a Bombay Sapphire family here (my youngest says martinis are a family tradition :) But I do like trying new gins, although my wife isn't that adventurous. If I see the New Amsterdam Gin in the Boston area, I'll give it a shot.

or three.

There has been mention of Aviation Gin here several times. I just recently bought a bottle. So, what is your favorite drink with this gin?

This gin was more different than I had expected, but it grew on me and I enjoy it.

Anyone have a recommendation for a Plymouth replacement? I can't find it locally at any reasonable price. I'm always down to try a new brand, but this time it looks like necessity is driving the choice rather that my adventurous spirit.

Every once in a while, they seem to have a good sale at BevMo, where they drop the price for Plymouth to $10-20. I think maybe it is distributor driven, as they often also have it priced about the same at small grocery/liquor stores.

I've found I can often find well priced bottles of Plymouth at small grocery/liquor stores, even after the sale stuff is gone at BevMo.

For a good all around traditional style gin, I really like Beefeater's. Different flavor profile than Plymouth, but very good.

Others have recommended Broker's as being a good, well priced, traditional gin, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. If you try it, let us know what you think.

~Erik

I'll pay the shipping A.a. :)

For a Martini I like Plymouth. My favorite for sipping while I visit might be Rangpur.

I haven't tried Hendricks, yet. The G'Vine is interesting but it's a nostalgia thing.

There are a bunch I haven't tried but I'll get around to them.

:cheers:

I havn't seen anyone mention Miller's lately.

I like it a tad better than the Plymouth.

No elk here, but I did see a white tail doe (inside the city) when I drove to the grocery store last night.

When I can afford it, I love Plymouth in a martini. A friend of my has a bottle of the Navy Strength and is willing to trade me a measure of my Emile for a tot, and I can't wait to see what that's like.

I love Hendrick's simply over ice, or with tonic. There's something in that lovely cucumberiness that's impossible to resist.

On nights when I'm not made of money, I use Beefeater's. I find it to be a good "everyday" gin.

Unfortunately, I have discovered - the hard way - that I absolutely cannot have more than four or five ounces of gin in a single evening (no matter how long that evening happens to be) lest I really regret it the next day, and sometimes the day after. *sigh* It must be the juniper...

- Johanna

Hendrick's used to be my favorite, but now I'm <3ing Broker's gin. I'm a silly goose because I like how the bottles come with derbys on them.

Hendrick's used to be my favorite, but now I'm <3ing Broker's gin. I'm a silly goose because I like how the bottles come with derbys on them.

Y'know, I happened into a bottle of that a few months ago (long story) and I rather liked it - quite light, but still v. aromatic, I thought. But I couldn't bring myself to actually BUY a bottle of it, because of the aforementioned derby. It was just a bit too silly, even for me. :)

- Johanna

Finally got a chance to try the New Amsterdam gin. And, well, it wasn't for me. Too fruity. I got about 1/2 way through my extra extra dry martini and had to go back to Bombay. It will make a good mixin' gin I think, but it wasn't "sharp" enough for me as a martini gin.

I'm a big Sapphire fan. I've yet to find a gin that I like better for a martini.

Amazing though when I'm out and about and order one, I try not to sound snobby but I do ask for it in a specific way - up, extra dry, two olives, STIRRED PLEASE - 3 minutes later I see the bartender shaking the snot out of my gin :nono:

I was a Boodles devotee for years, but switched to the Plymouth camp (for martinis) not long ago and haven't looked back. I don't want to say I 'outgrew' Boodles, but maybe my tastes evolved past it? It's good gin and blends well, but it's... simplistic, and maybe a little sweeter than I like these days.

I like Hendrick's quite a bit too, for G&Ts or gimlets or other drinks where I want an up-front gin flavor statement. Lately when I order a gin drink in a bar, it's Hendrick's and tonic with a slice of lime.

Reading Doc's comments here, though, I really think I need to give Beefeater another spin -- it has been ages since I last had it. It'll be interesting to do a side-by-side with Plymouth.

It is nice to see gin getting more attention in recent years.

Kensington Gin. Golden amber color. Not as spicy as Plymouth. Really pleasant mouth- feel. Smooth yet complex with a finish that stretches out for a nice long time. Can anyone tell me about this gin? It was less than $30 and very tasty.

Leopold's is well worth the money if you can find it, it's definitely different than a London Dry Gin, but very tasty, and I love having variety.

I could drink gin until I was a babbling mess on the floor. In fact I have done so on rare occasion.

The missus and I recently picked up a couple sample sizes of New Amsterdam and were very pleased. It was very smooth and easy. We thought we'd get a bottle instead of our usuals, and imagine our surprise to find it was under $15! We may still hit some others for the top shelf, but for our home 'well' it's a great way to go.

Sounds like you ran out... ;) :twitchsmile:

Nope. Savin' some for you!

The missus and I recently picked up a couple sample sizes of New Amsterdam and were very pleased.

I don't know where subtle ends and lack of flavorless begins. I thought it was very smooth but not very flavorful. JMO and that's not much.