• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Amber von Doom

Amber von Doom

Mercury Girl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:53 PM

Oooooh look starting my first thread besides my intro.

Anywho, I just spent hours getting my chili into the crock pot. Tomorrow is the annual chili cook-off at my job. There are 6 teams competing. First prize is $300. Second prize is $200. Third prize is $100. I didn't enter last year and now I remember why. Damn, it's a lot of work. I hope I still want to eat some of it tomorrow after smelling it all night.

I marinated my steak last night. Stroller is being kind enough now to bring over some whiskey because I don't have any of that nutty stuff in my liquor cabinet. I've never made chili with whiskey and cream cheese before so wish me luck. Either it'll be a disaster or I'll be richer tomorrow. I'll post the recipe and some photos tomorrow if anyone is interested. :)

Now I must go pass out.
Some people are like slinkies...
they aren't good for much, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

#2 MTgrayling

MTgrayling

Thymallus arcticus viridius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:03 PM

Whiskey and Cream Cheese sounds divine, the most exotic ingredient I've tried is cocoa. Best of luck tomorrow.
I had my taste buds amputated many years ago after an unfortunate toothbrush accident, any reviews or opinions I give are suspect and should be viewed as utterly useless.

Jeremy Bentham, the Pieta, and a Precious Few Grayling ; by David Quammen

#3 Zzz

Zzz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:09 PM

Wow, chili sounds very good right now.
"All Too Easy," said he who was visible. "I feel convenient," said he who was not.

#4 Amber von Doom

Amber von Doom

Mercury Girl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:41 PM

Whiskey and Cream Cheese sounds divine, the most exotic ingredient I've tried is cocoa. Best of luck tomorrow.

Funny you mention cocoa! I put 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa in there as, as well!
they aren't good for much, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

#5 MTgrayling

MTgrayling

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:44 PM

Well then the prize is yours, and yes I'd like the recipe when you get a chance. The WS cookbook would be a great place for it as I'm sure others will appreciate it too.

If it wasn't 90+ degrees I'd be thinking of making it this weekend.
I had my taste buds amputated many years ago after an unfortunate toothbrush accident, any reviews or opinions I give are suspect and should be viewed as utterly useless.

#6 Amber von Doom

Amber von Doom

Mercury Girl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:45 PM

Wow, chili sounds very good right now.

It smells really good right now because it's up to a good simmer! I'm going to let it cook for another hour, put in the cream cheese and then let it cook on low for another couple hours before putting it in the fridge overnight. Then I can warm it up slowly tomorrow morning.

Oh geez I'm making myself hungry.

#7 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:46 PM

Ooh! I have a chili recipe that I'm quite proud of. :pirate:

Such a shame it's so short notice. B)

:cheers: Ya'll
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#8 Amber von Doom

Amber von Doom

Mercury Girl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:53 PM

Well then the prize is yours, and yes I'd like the recipe when you get a chance. The WS cookbook would be a great place for it as I'm sure others will appreciate it too.

If it wasn't 90+ degrees I'd be thinking of making it this weekend.

I don't know why my boss insists on having this cook-off in June and July every year. It inevitably ends up being one of the hottest days of the year and we're outside at NOON setting up presentations for our chili. Actually, I just looked at the weather and we might luck out in the low 80's tomorrow afternoon. I hope it's not hotter than that!

Will post the recipe tomorrow because once I taste it I'm sure I'll be adding a couple things to it :)

Ooh! I have a chili recipe that I'm quite proud of. :pirate:

Such a shane it's so short notice. B)

:cheers: Ya'll

You should post the recipe anyway! I know I'd like to see it.

hmmm I probably should have posted this in The Cookbook forum, btw. My apologies. I don't know if a moderator can move it on over there or not. :)

#9 MMarking

MMarking

Resident Francophile

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

My favorite chili recipe is one I found in Consumer Reports magazine a zillion years ago. Nothing fancy, no ostrich meat or exotic prickly cactus. Just meat, beans, onions and spices.
Good friends are the family you wish you had been born into.

War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate.
Marvin Gaye

#10 Amber von Doom

Amber von Doom

Mercury Girl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

My favorite chili recipe is one I found in Consumer Reports magazine a zillion years ago. Nothing fancy, no ostrich meat or exotic prickly cactus. Just meat, beans, onions and spices.

Let's read it!!

btw - I won 2nd place today which is NICE!!!!!!!! People tell me I was robbed, though.

#11 MMarking

MMarking

Resident Francophile

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:13 PM

Congrats! :cheers: When you are#2 you try harder.

Here it is. (The corn isn't in my original recipe out of the mag.) When I get daring, I use pinto and kidney beans!

Marvin Gaye

#12 Amber von Doom

Amber von Doom

Mercury Girl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:28 PM

Here it is. (The corn isn't in my original recipe out of the mag.) When I get daring, I use pinto and kidney beans!

True - I intend to be number 1 next year. I'm very nearly already marinating the meat for it. :)

#13 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,720 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:11 AM

Mole? (with an accent over the "e", not the blind varmit) Dan's tried it and says I should sometime before I die.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#14 Amber von Doom

Amber von Doom

Mercury Girl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:33 AM

INGREDIENTS
2 cups, medium onions, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1/3 cup, sliced jalapeno peppers (10-25 slices)
1 - 28oz. can stewed tomatoes
1 - 6oz. can tomato paste
1 - 15.5oz. can black beans
1 - 15.5oz. can red beans
1 - 14.5oz. can chicken broth

2.5 to 3 pounds stew beef

1.5 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoons cayenne pepper
2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
1 Tablespoon black pepper
1-2 Tablespoons "Original" Louisiana Hot Sauce
cup Sazerac Rye Whiskey

2 cups, shreeded cheddar cheese
4 oz. Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1 - 16oz. bag of tortilla chips

DIRECTIONS
The night before marinate meat in half of the chicken broth, half the spices and half the Lousiana Hot Sauce.

Chop up 4 medium onions and 1 large green pepper and set aside.

In 10" skillet, brown 2 lbs. of beef, drain excess fat in a strainer, and place aside.

Saute 2 cups of chopped onion and entire chopped green pepper for 5 minutes over medium heat.

Add sauteed onions and green pepper to ground beef.

In crock pot, stir in stewed tomatoes, tomato poste, chili beans, the remaining chicken broth and the remaining spices. Add beef, onions and bell pepper and simmer for 2 to 3 hours on high.

Add Cream Cheese and Whiskey. Stir until Cream Cheese is melted completely.

Reduce heat to simmer for 2 hours, sitrring occasionally.

Ladle chili into serving bowl and top with shreeded cheddar cheese and raw chopped onions to taste. Add tortilla chips on edge of bowl.

Enjoy! (Serves 6)

#15 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:02 AM

Baubel: You mentioned eating guinea pig and now you mention mole. Please don't invite me for dinner. B)
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#16 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:30 PM

Ohhh, that looks like a good recipe. Even though it's summer this whole chili contest made me want to make a big batch.

#17 Amber von Doom

Amber von Doom

Mercury Girl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:45 PM

Ohhh, that looks like a good recipe. Even though it's summer this whole chili contest made me want to make a big batch.

I think I'll make some more of what I made this the other day but not at least for a couple weeks until I'm not so chili'd out! Then I can save you more than just one bowl of it. :)

#18 MMarking

MMarking

Resident Francophile

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:07 PM

Amber, I love the new avatar! Looks like my cat Sasha. I wish I could get her to walk like that.

A while back I made the chili recipe and added about a 1/2 teaspoon of chipoltle powder. It was so friggin' hot that Chuck and I couldn't eat it! I saved the rest of the batch in the freezer until I made another batch to cut it.

Marvin Gaye

#19 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:53 PM

Amber: Just a friendly reminder, you don't have to post the quote above yours. It's one of our little forum rules. :wave2:
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#20 MTgrayling

MTgrayling

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:44 AM

Thanks Amber. First cold snap and I'll make a big pot.

#21 Amber von Doom

Amber von Doom

Mercury Girl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:53 AM

Myownmolly ~
I like the icon because it looks like my cat Sheba! Sheba and Sasha - something about these cats just screams out for a regal name.

I've never used chipoltle in anything. Now I know to use it sparingly in the future :)

*edit for spelling*

Edited by Amber von Doom, 01 July 2007 - 09:19 AM.

#22 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,804 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:10 AM

It really depends. Some chipotles are not that spicy, others can be rather hot. Just test what you use first, and you should be ok. Personally, I love chipotle! I don't, however, like the Chipotle tobasco. Tastes entirely too fake for me. Like green tobasco with liquid smoke added.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association