Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Wrayalien

Wrayalien

Gone Star Trekkin'

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:56 PM

:cheers: I have been away and now I'm back! I am also pleased with the way the Green Fairy is finally being allowed to fly in the US.
Don't listen to those who would water down ahhh burn up the true history of absinthe, rather research the facts to determine the significance of the Green Fairy. Those who can't do it themselves, get their kicks trying to undermine those who can.

#3 Chris

Chris

• PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:00 PM

Guess this has been in the works for awhile.
"This is their busted future, and this is our dreams."

#4 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:11 PM

It's good to see the door opening wider!
Too bad it's 45 percent. :cheers:

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#5 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:15 PM

Yeah, I wonder if it's going to be as lite as Lucid.

The mix ratio is curious. 1:5.......

#6 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,896 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:18 PM

I don't want Lite and I don't want 45% but still! :cheers:

#7 Chris

Chris

• PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:26 PM

Well put T (regarding the link). It's funny to read that Kübler link from 05' and see the disbelief about legal absinthe; heck, even a few weeks ago I don't think most of us would have believed what has now transpired would happen as quickly as it did.
"This is their busted future, and this is our dreams."

#8 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:34 PM

Glad we're getting more products.

Hope we'll get one that isn't jerked with for "American tastes" some day.

Kübler's already a boring-ass, lite absinthe. Any more lite and it will be weak vodka.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#9 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,896 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:36 PM

heck, even a few weeks ago I don't think most of us would have believed what has now transpired would happen as quickly as it did.

Someone would have believed it. ;)

#10 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:57 PM

I can't help but wonder if this whole thing of starting the US off on lite absinthes is going to impact American tastes more than cater to them.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#11 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:24 PM

Better that, than Canadian tastes! After all, look what they got first, total shiite.

Really hope this one has some flavor to it, but at 45%, and ! 5:1 !! I dunno. What does that make it, like watery boones farm by then?

Maybe we'll be surprised, who knows.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#12 plunger

plunger

Another friendly drunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:36 PM

I can't help but wonder if this whole thing of starting the US off on lite absinthes is going to impact American tastes more than cater to them.

Baby Steps....Most Americans who have even heard of absinthe have no idea what it should taste like, so it would be hard to cater on a general scale. Most of the makers of quality absinthe know that there is a demographic of folks like us that know, expect, and want what is currently available in Europe( and of course, more if some HG'ers can start producing on a small scale). It's just the beginning.
It's not whether the glass is half empty or half full, it's whether you are pouring or drinking.

#13 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:39 PM

We have TED to thank for opening the door, though. :cheers:
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#14 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:52 PM

:huh:

Umm, Kübler opened the door for Ted. Just because they have not distributed in the US yet doesn't mean they were not approved prior to Ted. They submitted lab samples in March of 2004 which started the ball rolling. Ted did not submit samples until October 2006.

#15 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:10 PM

All hail Ted... :yahoo:

And thanks to Kübler as well, they clearly got the lock loosened at least. Or is that Lucen'd?
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#16 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:36 PM

Samples, shmamples. ;)

Ted got in the door first and probably cleared away a lot of the red tape.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#17 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:48 PM

At least I can DRINK what Ted made, right here, right now.
- cogito ergo louche

#18 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:01 PM

Yep.

#19 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:22 PM

One could imagine that Ted was instrumental in dazzling them with science. The loophole, and that's what you have, not new legislation, is based on testing margin of error, if I'm not mistaken.

And do you know if Kübler was in fact approved prior to Louchid?

#20 Grey Boy

Grey Boy

The Snitty One™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:28 PM

It's just the beginning.

Nail, head.

But remember, it's not a total legalization,
products still have to pass the tests.
I'm gonna meet pierreverte!

#21 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:33 PM

Test of The Day...

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#22 Touch-Money

Touch-Money

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:21 PM

I will still drink a glass in celebration! How ironic is it that the only bottle i have is Kübler?
“Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life.” - George Bernard Shaw

#23 Daniel Lyons

Daniel Lyons

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:41 PM

I don't think there's any reason to fear for Americans suddenly developing taste en masse. I'm sure that quality absinthe -- like anything else of quality -- will remain scarce and difficult to obtain, even if it becomes much easier and cheaper than it is now. I won't be very surprised if absinthe lite, while better than Czech et. al. mouthwash, turns out to be the best we can hope to see achieving widespread popularity.

Also, with the door now open, I'd imagine it's only a matter of time before the aforementioned mouthwashes start swimming across the oceans and onto store shelves. We've now got the first and second legal absinthes lined up, but there's going to be a first KOSG-type crap too. I can't wait to see what it turns out to be. :thumbdown:

#24 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,896 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:04 AM

'Zactlly! But the positive possibilities are also alive and well.

I will still drink a glass in celebration!

Me, too. This has been nothing short of a historic few weeks. Just because a few of us have become a snobs, no reason not to delight in a new era of Absinthe! I'm confident, some things are only just beginning. :cheers:

#25 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:59 AM

Baby Steps....Most Americans who have even heard of absinthe have no idea what it should taste like, so it would be hard to cater on a general scale. Most of the makers of quality absinthe know that there is a demographic of folks like us that know, expect, and want what is currently available in Europe( and of course, more if some HG'ers can start producing on a small scale). It's just the beginning.

Well said. Hell, my peeps couldn't even eat or drink in some of the "white only" establishments 40 so years ago and look at us now!

Baby steps for sure and a change is a comin'! :cheers:
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#26 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,896 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:10 AM

We have TED to thank for opening the door, though. :cheers:

Umm, Kübler opened the door for Ted.

One could imagine that Ted was instrumental in dazzling them with science. The loophole, and that's what you have, not new legislation, is based on testing margin of error, if I'm not mistaken.

My understanding is, several people (some of them are members of WS) working together and separately deserve credit. I hope the whole story gets pieced together and all the names are rightly known. :cheers:

#27 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:44 AM

Ted clearing Red tape?!? :laf:

If being the first to pat yourself on the back is clearing red tape then yes he hung the moon.

Importer/wholesaler permit is more about filing the correct paperwork, nothing more. Anyone with a permit can submit a sample to the TTB for approval. Zero red tape.

#28 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:10 AM

Wow. If it was THAT easy, I guess we would have 30 legal American absinthes by now. ;) He did hang a nice moon. Thanks, Ted. :cheers:

T73: You're right. (When did I start agreeing with you?!)

#29 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:15 AM

I'm sure there was also quite a bit of effort (and capital) put in just to get the government to review the standards and become more in line with the EU.

I would not be surprised if much of that capital came from the partners ar Viridian, since they include "partners Simon, Jerome and Leon Falic (whose major holdings include Duty Free Americas and luxury brands such as Christian Lacroix, Hard Candy, Urban Decay and the license to manufacture Perry Ellis fragrances and cosmetics); Jonathan Bonchick (formerly with Brown-Forman and currently with Duty Free Americas); and Eddie Soleymani and Leon Redensky (co-founders and Managing Directors of Lynx Capital Partners, LLC, an equity trading firm)."
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#30 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:23 AM

Actually there could be, but just because the lab approves them doesn't mean they are out yet.

Remember, Kübler provider their sample years before Ted. Makes you wonder who else has. Provide a sample to the TTB & get it approved & you too can be a living god like Ted.

Produce it in the US & call it what it is officially (Absinthe) in the paperwork and that would be something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association