Brooks

Cocktail Recipes

I don't use any other jigger since I got this:

06-0288-180.jpg

Muito obrigado, Hiram e ejellest! My wife has those same measuring cups in... well... "measuring cup" sizes - 1C, 2C. (Onesey, twosey? Are we playing jacks or something?) I think my wife picked hers up at the local super-supermarket. (If not there, then probably Williams-Sonoma.) In fact, I used her 1C one for calibrating my water bottles, etc., for my tasting party last year. Didn't know OXO made them in that small a size - must keep an eye out for them! (I'd still prefer metric, though.)

While I can appreciate the whole "appearance" argument in the shaken vs. stirred controversy, I have to side with our friend Mr. Bond: "Shake it very well until it's ice-cold."

(Okay, I'll admit I might be just a little bit biased because he is, after all, the coolest guy on earth...)

But anyway, thanks to both of you for the tip about the measuring cups. I've been tempted on several occasions to get out in the garage and see if I can't find the old graduated cylinder that I used back in my home-brewing phase. If it survived the last move!

Saúde! :cheers:

This from a newspaper clipping I received:

Smashing Shamrocks

1 1/2 oz. Lucid absinthe

4 oz. water

1 tbsp. sugar

1/2 oz. green creme de menthe

mint leaves

Hate to reply to my own post, but gotta admit, I think some people are grasping at straws to try and include absinthe in drink recipes. I think this one seems a bit sweet and unappetizing.

Agreed! But I have yet to prepare a Sazerac. If I could just manage to remember to pick a lemon. Seems that little twist on the rim is essential, so kind of want to get it right.

I mentioned this before but I now have the recipe and a name.

The LDS

2 oz. ice cold vodka

1 1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice

1 1/2 oz. simple sugar syrup

Generous splash of absinthe (I recommend VDF)

Crack 2 large ice cubes into a cocktail shaker along with the vodka, lemon juice and syrup. Shake well for 10 seconds. Strain into a Martini glass. Add a splash of VDF Absinthe. (I have tried others but the strong flavor of the VDF is really the best.)

Mmmmmmm, I think I am going to make another...

This weekend's Cocktail party was a hit. People seemed to especially enjoy the Sazarac, Blarney Stone, Bardstown Sling and the Bronx. I am on an Old Fashioned kick myself.

Over the weekend we were lounging by my bro's fantastic pool, and a trip to the swim up bar was netting us some tasty Caipirinhas made with traditional Cachaça. Yummy, but all that citrus juice makes drinking more than a couple a bit acidic on the tum-tum.

So if you're looking to try it, you need to get some Cachaça, which is a Brazilian Rum apparently, I don't know much about it. Muddle a whole lemon or lime in a glass, add a couple heaping spoons of cane sugar or whatever sweetener you use, add 2 oz of the Cachaça, ice, shake, serve! Leave both halves of the lemon or lime rind in the glass or use one half to carve a creative garnish for the rim. It'll transport you straight to Carnivale!

Here's my video on the Caipirinha.

Cachaça can be thought of as a type of "rum", or closer to what is typically referred to as "rhum agricole", which refers to the fact that it differs from traditional rum in the fact that traditional rum is made from molasses, which is the waste by-product of making sugar, while rhum agricole is made from sugar cane juices which were intentionally grown for making it. (ie. "rum" is an "industrial" product, and "rhum agricole" is a "agricultural" product)

Likewise, Cachaça is typically made directly from sugar cane juices. Because it is rarely aged in wood, it is almost always very clear in color, although some brands can be aged in oak, resulting in a straw colored product, but that's not the norm.

If you can't find Cachaça in your area, you can substitute a white rum or white rhum agricole, although the results won't be quite the same.

To be authentic, a Caipirinha should always be made with limes, as should any South American drink that calls for a such a citrus ingredient. You will however sometimes see "Lemon" called for, but this is just do to language confusion, since they call limes "liemons", which sounds more like "lemon" than "lime".

-Robert

The Caipirinha is one of my favorite summer drinks. There are more and more cachaca's out there these days and I've yet to try them all, but so far, I'm partial to Pitu over 51 and even Leblon. It just struck me as lighter and easier drinkin'.

That said, I recently came up with a cocktail of my own. It's a southern take on the Manhattan called a Hotlanta.

Hotlanta
:

2 oz Whisky

1/2 oz peach schnapps

a few dashes of Fee Bro's peach bitters

shaken with ice, served in a cocktail glass

I think it still needs some tweaking of details to really nail down, but this is the gist for sure.

The first round I made with an unaged corn whisky (ala moonshine), a later with a more conventional bourbon. Both worked, but I felt the rawness of the corn whisky was a nice touch honestly, allowed a little more of the peach to come through.

I haven't tried a peach brandy yet, but I'm sure that could be a decent, though pricier substitute for the schnapps.

One part I'm as of yet unflinching on is the peach bitters. There's a unique flavor there that actually takes most of the credit for this cocktail. (Partly because I had them and hadn't found a good use for 'em yet) They mellow the whole thing out, while imparting an almost fresher and natural peach flavor to the mix. In relation to the Manhatten, I use significantly more bitters here.

And while Atlanta might not be the cultural mecca Manhattan is, half the streets there have 'peach' in the name so it seemed appropriate ;)

Good point on the 'hot', though folks from around there know it's a referance to the weather :) Maybe "Atlanta Cocktail" then. I like keeping the city referance as I did steal the basic recipe from the Manhattan.

Or, you could just cut out all the mixin' and do this: Georgia Peach Whiskey

I'm just sayin'.

SHILL! SHILL! :laugh: Man, that stuff is right up my alley. If I could get my hands on such a critter, trust me, it'd be in the cabinet. Nice to see the peach manhattan idea in there as well :)

I recently had an arnold palmer with peach vodka, I bet it'd be even better with your stuff!

Found this little ditty on interesting drink combos; don’t think it’s been listed here before.

*poster’s note: these people are speaking of “vodka martinis”

Recent selections have included the Sugar Plum, made with plum-infused vodka and hibiscus tea, and the Capresetini, a blend of vodka, tomato water and basil-black pepper simple syrup, served with a cherry tomato and mozzarella garnish.

The article is from last August but it certainly seems like something… different. Anyone heard of the SideCar or been there? Honestly I’d reserve judgment until I visited the place. I’d try one or two, though.

“Blackberry Flirtini”

3 to 4 ripe blackberries, plus one for garnish

3 ounces blackberry-infused vodka

1 ounce Chambord black raspberry liqueur

2 ounces pomegranate juice

Muddle the berries in a pint glass. Fill the glass with ice. Add the vodka, liqueur and pomegranate juice. Cover and shake. Strain the liquid into a chilled martini glass and garnish with a blackberry on the rim.

Sounds too sweet, the plague of the "modern cocktail" menu. I was at a "bar" yesterday where they serve "cocktails" and they didn't have bitters of any variety. And absinthe? They'd never heard of it. But speaking of sidecars, he luckily did have a bottle of Remy, Cointreau, and lemon slices, so I put him to work.

Vodka drinks, cocktails, beverages- I'm read in on the martini situation.

I will concede that if one makes it with vodka, it should be called a 'vodka martini'

Thought I'd found an acceptable verbage, boss :euro: You know me - I'll call 'em whatever you like :thumbup:

But you're right as well, Dr. L. Such is life...

Edit: Just got that website to load WBT- that does look good.

For my money, both the wild turkey 101 bourbon and wild turkey 101 rye are preferable.

I'll have to try this Wild (how you say...) Turkey? Sounds like a fine product, deserving of more attention than it gets.

They're not shot glasses, but these Oxo Mini Angled Measuring cups are pretty cool and have both metric and whatever the hell the other system is called on them.

OXO Good Grips Mini Angled Measuring Cup 3-pack(amazon link)

They make them in stainless too but, they are harder to read.

The stainless are a little harder to read, but at least they have some weight. The plastic ones are a nice idea, but they're such insubstantial plastic that they're too easy to knock over, and they look and feel disposable. I wish they made them in glass, with the same visibility as the plastic, but with enough weight and heft to be more usable.

Recent mention here of the Emile Pernot Liqueur de Sapin got me thinking about opening my exotic collector bottle of the stuff and using it for something. The smell of pine usually makes me think of Christmas, so I gravitated towards making a Christmas drink. Pine liqueur also sounded like it would pair well with a Juniper-forward gin.

After searching for other recipes to hijack for ratio guidelines, I settled on the Alexander, traditionally made with gin, yellow Chartreuse and cream. I replaced the Chartreuse with the Sapin and to make Christmas spices fill the glass I added three healthy dashes of Angostura bitters, enough to actually tint the final drink.

Shake this drink forcefully for a very long time, to froth the cream.

I strained mine into two chilled mini-cocktail glasses (3oz) from the freezer.

For garnish I will try to get a hold of some peppermint leaves, rather than the usual spearmint garnish, or else try the tiny peppermint candy canes.

The drink tastes immediately of EggNog to me, though there are no shared ingredients but cream. It's very definitely a Christmas flavor, as I'd hoped, and the classic Alexander ratios help keep its sweetness in balance.

Thoughts or feedback for tweaks are very welcome, and I hope the few out there that have some of this liqueur will sacrifice an ounce to test this for me...

The Noël

2 oz dry Gin

1 oz Emile Pernot Liqueuer de Sapin

1 oz cream

3 dashes Angostura bitters

Shake forcefully with ice for at least fifteen seconds, strain into chilled cocktail glass

suggested garnish: peppermint sprig or small candy cane

2862138042_8f42cf91bc.jpg

Here is a standard at our place. I call it a Chan-tini (some of you know why) and before your blood starts to boil, it deserves the "tini" so calm down. Not much of a variation from the traditional Martini just in ratios and a bit re ingredients. I really like it but it was crafted specifically for Pensieve and she drinks them like they are going out of style.

CHAN-TINI

3oz Boodles Gin (substitutions of traditional London Dry Gins appropriate)

3/4 oz Nolly Pratt Dry vermouth

1/4 oz brine from Garlic Stuffed Olives

Shake with ice (if you are not worried about bruising) and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with three garlic stuffed olives.

Try it

THE SECRET GARDEN

2oz of Brokers gin

1/2 oz of Pernod (of course you can use absinthe)

1/2 oz of Marie Brizzards Parfait Amore (violette liquor)

3 healthy dashes of Fee Bros. Orange bitters

splash of fresh squeezed sour mix (lemon, lime, sugar, water)

I've come up with a cocktail that's somewhat similar to this, after messing around with the Monkey Gland recipe:

GARDEN PARTY

2 oz of gin (Something floral/herbal like Hendrick's, Tanqueray, Bluecoat, maybe Plymouth)

1/2 oz of St Germain

1/2 tsp Absinthe (not more, or it will overwhelm the other flavors)

2 dashes Regan's Orange Bitters

Add to ice in cocktail shaker, give it a nice long shake and then strain.

I don't garnish with anything, because I like the "mouthful of herbs" effect.

:arrr: