Brooks

Cocktail Recipes

Ha ha. I was thinking about that Rangpur Gin and Pink variation I posted about before. It is quite tasty and lite (not to be confused with weak).

Shabba - I might give a look at the store for those ingredients. It sounds interesting.

...no St Germain, they never heard of it. Typical.

Is there a recipe for Hiram's Constellation Cocktail around here? I couldn't find it here, at Drinkboy's, or at Dr. Cocktails.

This one is going on my fall cocktail menu at Steelhead Diner in Seattle!! It's been two weeks in developement and I finally got it right.

THE SECRET GARDEN

2oz of Brokers gin

1/2 oz of Pernod (of course you can use absinthe)

1/2 oz of Marie Brizzards Parfait Amore (violette liquor)

3 healthy dashes of Fee Bros. Orange bitters

splash of fresh squeezed sour mix (lemon, lime, sugar, water)

Shake vigorously and strain into an ice cold martini glass.

Garnish with a blackberry and an absurdly long lemon twist.

(don't forget to eat the blackberry)

Ok, one more cocktail. I was just reading a piece on Strega in which Zig Zag Cafes Stega Daquirie was mentioned. The rum threw me off, but then again I haven't tried it. This is on my menu as The Wicked Olympic Witch, but it will soon be changed back to it's origional name...

LUCIFERS MONK

2oz of Stoli Vanilla

1/2 oz of Green Chartreuse

1 oz of Liquore Strega

3 dashes of Fee Bros. Lemon bitters

splash of fresh squeezed sour mix

Garnish with a Vanilla Bean and a dash of fine ground white pepper

Edited by mpalumbo

I have Luxardo, and I don't use it in many things, just Aviators etc.. I'll play with that tomorrow night (if my stitches are healed enough to go back to work-lemongrass cutting incident).

I got a little creative tonight (moreso perhaps then normal) due to us having a sorta Top Chef finale final tonight at my place with the cocktails. Mainly, I wanted to introduce my friends to at least one classic (I choose a Pimm's Cup, or my slight variation on it).

Kris' not-quite-as-British Pimm's Cup-

2oz Pimm's #1

1/2oz Pama

2 mar. cherries

1 slice lemon, half squeezed

1 slice lime

Sierra Mist (which gives a bit cleaner taste then sprite, I believe)

I shook the whole thing (minus the SM) with ice, and poured, adding the SM at the end to maintain sparkle. They LOVED 'em!

So, I made them my above-mentioned chocolate-covered raspberries.

I ended the night out trying my hand at a 'nouveau-classic' the key limetini (YES, you all know my thoughts on martini's... please forgive.

The way I did MINE was stoli vanil (2 parts), 2 parts Simply Limade, three shakes of Penzey's Vanilla Sugar, and I instead of classic graham cracker-crusting it, I did a sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg (extra fine) grind. It was a winner as well.

I'm a Penzey's nut. I make no bones about it. Yes, I coulda made my own, but I don't bother. Theirs rocks, right out the jar, :) .

Nope. No key lime in it at all. At 11:00pm, I wasn't gonna run out to Lund's to find any either. They actually worked (what I had) surprisingly well.

I kinda went nuts last night for a birthday party of a friend I hosted.

Ciroc, muddled blackberries, brut champagne, and chambord.

Key lime martini's (mentioned above) to rave reviews.

My speciality chocolate-covered raspberries.

Lots and lots of washington apples.

An 'on the fly' Teq drink that I barely remember, but that earned 3 text messages of approval and requests for recipes today (gotta figure what I put in the bloody thing now).

and of course, lots and lots of Sazerac's.

Made a new cocktail Tuesday night for the family when they were down.

Italian sunrise

In a Pint Glass:

Ice cubes

2 oz. Pimm's Vodka Cup

2 oz. Absolute New Orleans

1 1/2 oz. St. Germain

Fill with San Pellegrino Limonata until there's about 1 1/2 inches left at the top of the glass

Pour into a shaker, then back into the glass to mix. Do so lightly so as to not upset all of the carbonation.

Fill remainder with Archer Farms Peach-Pear Italian Soda

Stir gently

ahem...

2 oz. Pimm's (English) Vodka (Russian) Cup

2 oz. Absolute (Swedish) New Orleans (well...)

1 1/2 oz. St. Germain (French)

just messing with ya, buddy ;) . It sounds really good, Italian or not!

ahem...

6-8 oz. San Pellegrino Limonata (Italy)

2-3 oz. Italian soda.

:harhar:

And yes, you are correct. They are mighty tasty.

Back to the point: where's the Canada in your Canadian AppleJacks? Neener Neener! :devil:

Eh, a Canadian bartender taught it to me. I started asking for it in Canadian bars when I lived on the border, and they all knew how to make 'em right. If ever I order an applejack in the US, they give me this gross, fruity shot of pucker and stuff.

So, I call it a Canadian Applejack.

Neener.

A recipe I ran across in a book today.. not one I am going to try. Nor did I buy the book, after seeing this and a couple other recipes.

Absinthe Minded

1 shot absinthe

1 dash lemon juice

1 dash raspberry liqueur

Shake with ice and pour into a cocktail glass.

It looks like there are other recipes with similar names out there, but different ingredients and proportions. I suppose that is good, because I really can't fathom drinking this one as-is.

Three cocktail recipes involving absinthe mentioned in the latest issue of Imbibe.

1) The Sazerac. No need to explain that.

2) The Green Devil - 1 oz gin, 1 bottle Duvel, Absinthe rinsed Duvel glass

3) Bookman cocktail - 1 1/2 oz. Vanilla Vodka, 1 oz. Tennessee whiskey, 1/2 oz absinthe, 1/4 oz creme de violette. combine in a shaker with ice. Stir slightly, strain into wide mouthed champagne glass that's rimmed with crushed almonds.

I'll be trying all of these by the end of the weekend. :cheers:

I'm intrigued by the Maple Julep mentioned on page 28: 2 oz rye, 1/4 oz pure maple syrup, fresh mint + crushed ice. Although the creator argues against muddling the mint on this one, I'm gonna muddle it anyway!

That one caught my attention, too, Doc. I am also curious about The Green Devil. I love Duvel and it sounds like a great excuse to pick some up. I'm looking forward to your report, Shabba!

Bardstown Sling

1 3/4 oz bourbon

1 oz triple sec

1 oz cranberry juice cocktail

the juice of 1/4 lime (or less if too tart)

Shake with ice and strain into a rocks glass with ice if too strong (I like mine straight up) garnish with orange and/or lime

Now THAT'S a Manhattan!

Lately, my favorite everyday drink is the Manhattan. (Absinthe would be my favorite EDD if my bank account permitted.) I ran out of bourbon a few days ago, and Jameson and Canadian Club (and, well, scotch, although then we'd be talking Rob Roys) are what's left of the whiskeys in my bar at the moment. None of these make it as a base for the Manhattan, to my taste.

So I'm standing in the liquor aisle at Trader Joe's trying to decide which bourbon to buy: Jim Beam? I can buy that a Costco for a lot less. Maker's Mark? Ditto. Jack Daniels? Somewhat overrated, IMHO, considering the price. Not a big Jack fan. But wait - what have we here? Wild Turkey! I haven't bought a bottle of WT in a long time! I wonder...

Wild Turkey Manhattan

2 shots of Wild Turkey

about 3/4 shot* of sweet vermouth**

3 healthy dashes of Peychaud's Bitters***

Shake well (at least 30 seconds****) with ice, strain into a martini glass, garnish with a cherry.

My, oh, my - one of the tastiest Manhattans I've ever had!

* I aim for about a 5:2 bourbon:vermouth ratio, but my shot glasses aren't conveniently calibrated. (It seems like all the candidates this year genuflect before the idol of Ronald Reagan, but nobody mentions the metric system. What ever happened to the US going metric?!?)

** Currently using Noilly Prat. Happy to hear any suggestions for which vermouths others prefer for Manhattans.

*** A must-have if you consider yourself an absinthist and a cocktail afficionado.

**** Um pouco de agua gelada is part of the recipe, as far as I'm concerned. Too many bartenders don't shake the drink long enough to get the drink really frigid and add enough water. (YMMV, of course.) Especially with 101 proof WT!

I'm a big Manhattan fan myself.

Everyone gets all hot and bothered about the Maker's Mark as a call brand. I just don't think it's a very interesting whiskey. For my money, both the wild turkey 101 bourbon and wild turkey 101 rye are preferable. And cheaper.

I'll try not to get all cocktail geeky on you, but I'd recommend giving it a try with a 60 second stir instead of a shake. Personally, I find I prefer the less clouded appearance of the cocktail.

They're not shot glasses, but these Oxo Mini Angled Measuring cups are pretty cool and have both metric and whatever the hell the other system is called on them.

OXO Good Grips Mini Angled Measuring Cup 3-pack(amazon link)

They make them in stainless too but, they are harder to read.

You can usually find them at most places that sell kitchen ware.

Erik

What he said about the stirring. I generally reserve shaking for things that contain cream, egg or juices.

So I'm standing in the liquor aisle at Trader Joe's trying to decide which bourbon to buy ... Currently using Noilly Prat. Happy to hear any suggestions for which vermouths others prefer for Manhattans.
Since you're at TJ's anyway, pick up a bottle or three of Ponti red vermouth. Zman turned me on to this and it's really nice. Most notable is the obvious flavor and fragrance of Roman Wormwood. The white vermouth, not so much; stick with Noilly-Pratt.

I don't use any other jigger since I got this:

06-0288-180.jpg