Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:29 PM

Oh yeah! That's right.

Nymph is a classic example of one of 'those girls'. :p

My record remains unvarnished.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#62 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,995 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:48 PM

I like "those girls" very much, thank you. So much so, I found one to hang on to. :devil: Smartest thing I've ever done in my life. ;)

NO ONE drinks a fucking martini anymore.

I'm having a classic martini with Hendrix gin and fresh baby cukes (kudos, MTG). However, I've never had a Fucking Martini but I'd sure be happy to let you be my guide, Lars.

#63 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:11 AM

I'm surprised nobody has ever discussed the martini issue here at the WS before. Probably it's just that people don't have strong opinions about it either way.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#64 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:51 AM

Some would argue that even the Hendrick's and cukes wouldn't be a classic martini either- and I love Hendrick's with a slice of cucumber, personally.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#65 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,995 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:20 AM

I understand your point, Lars. Certainly the garnish alone could affect that. I mean classic to be 4 parts (or 5 parts) gin to 1 part dry vermouth with just a touch of orange bitters.

#66 Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:53 PM

"Martini" as a modern term pisses me off more then any other. NO ONE drinks a fucking martini anymore...

Did a cocktail seminar at "Crush" last night. It was my basic "History of the Cocktail" seminar, and I had the audience make three different cocktails.

Started off with 1.5 oz gin, 1.5 oz sweet vermouth, and a dash of orange bitters.

They all loved it, except for the one person who hated gin (ooops, she was in for a bumpy ride tonight!). Explained to everbody that this was a true and genuine original "Martini". But of course waited to tell them this until after they'd all tasted and shared notes.

We then moved to 3 parts gin, 1 part dry vermouth, dash of orange bitters.

Which I explained was the true and genuine "Dry Martini", as it existed just prior to prohibition. Again they all loved it, yet some preferred the sweet vermouth one better.

Lastly we made a "Pegu Club"... gin, orange curacao, lime juice, orange bitters, angostura bitters... which was also a hit.

My "true" Martini's never fail to be a hit.

-Robert

I'm surprised nobody has ever discussed the martini issue here at the WS before. Probably it's just that people don't have strong opinions about it either way.

Ummmm.... was that sarcasm? I'm SURE there must be a few other threads around here somewhere that I've spouted off in. "Thar Shee Blows!"

#67 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:59 PM

Hard-Core sarcasm, mon ami!

<-----Posted Image
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#68 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:24 PM

My "true" Martinis never fail to be a hit.

I loved that drink. That was one of my favorite TOTC seminars. Smooth, informative, entertaining....I highly recommend it to anyone who goes to next year's "Tales."

#69 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:09 PM

You're saying he should recycle the tales?

#70 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

All I am saying
is Give Tales a Chance.

#71 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:30 PM

psh!
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He to whom this feeling is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. -AE

#72 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:26 PM

All I am saying
is Give Tails a Chance.

I've been telling my gay buddy that for two years.

To which he replies to me 'I have... often. Maybe YOU should try Tails once in a while."

One of us has got to be right. We're still not sure which. In the meantime, we'll enjoy Tales!

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#73 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:28 AM

You both need to get your straight facts straight. Straight folks are no strangers to tails — even I know that. A handful of people celebrates Tales. The world celebrates tails.

Those in the know celebrate both.

#74 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

My dirty secret is that I don't make cocktails at home. But if I did, I'd make this one. Grey and Glassy were in town, and we ended our evening at Pegu Club. I wanted to try something sophisticated and offbeat, and the waitress recommended the French Pearl:

French Pearl
Audrey Saunders, Pegu Club

1 sprig mint (10-12 leaves)
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz simple syrup (1:1, uncooked)
1/4 oz Pernod
2 oz Plymouth Gin

Add all liquids to the shaker, and gently but thoroughly muddle the leaves with the liquid. Add cracked ice, shake, and strain through fine mesh sieve.

It's a grown-up cocktail, but sublime.

#75 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:34 PM

Yup. It looks like it's got 3/4oz of sum-limes in it, actually.

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#76 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

A hook. Get the hook!

#77 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• 2,385 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

I like tails... love them in fact. I don't know if it is just me or the conversation but "French Pearl" sounds dirty to me.

Someone must try my cocktail and let me know what they think. I Love it!

Scurvey's Bane

2oz Plymouth Gin
.5 to 1oz Grand Marnier (depends how sweet you like it)
2 dashes Peychaud's Bitters

combine ingredients in a shaker with ice and stir (or shake if you don't mind bruised gin). Cocktail glass if you are fancy or a double in an old fashioned if you are me. An orange twist makes a great garnish.
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#78 Amber von Doom

Amber von Doom

Mercury Girl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:31 PM

Next month we start carrying whiskey. In addition to whiskey flavored whiskey we will have cherry and vanilla flavored whiskey.

How's THAT for rolling over in your graves before you've even died???

Frankly, I can't wait to try the vanilla whiskey. What should I mix that with (besides gasoline)?
Some people are like slinkies...
they aren't good for much, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

#79 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:28 PM

Enjoy, Union Girl.

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#80 Amber von Doom

Amber von Doom

Mercury Girl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:01 PM

ohhhh... you're good.
Some people are like slinkies...
they aren't good for much, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

#81 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:30 PM

St. Divine Martini

A twist on the classic martini using the super floral G'Vine French Gin, the complex Vya extra dry vermouth, and the addition of St. Germain Elderflower French liqueur. The combination of the three leads to a slightly sweet, complex and extremely floral martini.

2 oz. G'Vine Gin
½ oz. Vya Extra Dry Vermouth
½ oz St. Germain Liqueur
¼ tsp. of Stirrings Blood Orange bitters, or 1-2 dashes of Regans' or Fees' Orange bitters.

Stir on ice and strain into a cocktail glass, garnish with very thin lemon zest twists.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#82 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

Next month we start carrying whiskey. In addition to whiskey flavored whiskey we will have cherry and vanilla flavored whiskey.

I appreciate whisk(e)y that has vanilla and cherry notes without added flavours.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#83 Bluescat

Bluescat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

OMG.....I would make that right now if I had the supplies. The French Pearl and Scurvey's Bane sound good too.
Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify.
- Henry David Thoreau

#84 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:42 AM

I picked up a bottle of Hangar One citron (buddha's hand)-infused vodka at Bevmo last night. I just served it shaken with a twist in a cocktail glass and it was really good (next time I will try stirring). The wine alcohol used makes a superb vodka. Any other suggestions as to what I should do with it?

#85 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:33 PM

ohhhh... you're good.

You have no idea... yet.

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#86 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:19 PM

Heaven!

I was experimenting tonight with a group of friends on cocktails, and I came up with the group winner.

I wanted to incorporate fruit and anise together. I was also challanged to go outside my 'comfort zone' of absinthe-based cocktails (I am becoming quite famous/infamous for them now) so I used a great, small-market ouzo. I wanted (seriously) an anise-bomb for this one. I wanted balance, fruit, and spice. Something with a heavier mouthfeel, but some richness and sweetness.

So, I did this...

3 parts Ouzo (I used a Lesvos Plomari, but Ouzo 12 works)
2 parts chambord
1 muddled strawberry
1 lemon twist, over the glass to catch the oils.
Mint leaf for garnish.

Muddle the strawberry. Add ice, and pour ouzo over the ice. Add the Chambord, shake, and top with garnishes.

I was amazed at how well the anise/ouzo paired with the combined fruits. I have used absinthe and other anise-based drinks with sweets before, but not as fruit-forward. The pairing was excellent.

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#87 MMarking

MMarking

Resident Francophile

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:29 AM

About a month ago I purchased a bottle of French raspberry brandy at Wally's Wine & Spirits. It is clear, not raspberry color, so it interested me. Now I want to make a cocktail with it, using absinthe as well. any suggestions?
Good friends are the family you wish you had been born into.

War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate.
Marvin Gaye

#88 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:30 AM

Um... look up one post?
Apply/substitute accordingly? :)

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#89 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:14 AM

Wow, I haven't read this thread in forever; I had a lot of catching up to do.

The Chocolate-Covered Raspberry:
3 parts Chambord
2 parts white crème de cacao
1 part Belvedere vodka.
Well-chilled.

Substitute Godiva and you have what I used to call a Tootsie Roll Martini, :shock: because it tastes exactly like a Tootsie Roll™. That was before DrinkBoy showed me the light.

Vodka and an olive is NOT a martini. ... Once in a while, someone would come in, and order it half right. They'd order up a london dry gin... but then tell me no vermouth... or a glass-rinse of it.

If the true Dry Martini hadn't been destroyed by the No Vermouth travesty, they wouldn't have had to invent the Dirty Martini.

Smartest thing I've ever done is my wife.

I wouldn't argue with that.

Some would argue that even the Hendrick's and cukes wouldn't be a classic martini either- and I love Hendrick's with a slice of cucumber, personally.

A Dry Martini with an onion garnish turns it into a Gibson.

I picked up a bottle of Hangar One citron (buddha's hand)-infused vodka at Bevmo last night. ... Any other suggestions as to what I should do with it?

A Cosmo?

I was experimenting tonight with a group of friends on cocktails,

Your friends were on cocktails?? :shock:

I wanted to incorporate fruit and anise together ... I was amazed at how well the anise/ouzo paired with the combined fruits. I have used absinthe and other anise-based drinks with sweets before, but not as fruit-forward. The pairing was excellent.

I'm having fun with fruit and absinthe as well. I've plunked a stawberry in a glass of absinthe to good effect. Try pineapple.

I had a hunch a while back, completely intuitive and somewhat scary, that pineapple and anise would work together. As I said to DrinkBoy: "I've been getting an inexplicable (and frightening) intuitional nudge to play with pineapple and absinthe. It sounds awful, but I want to mess with it in the spirit of 'you never know.' " The result was going to be one of the featured cocktails at TOC this year, but I switched it at the last minute. Here is the Imperial Topaz Cocktail, which Jeff "Beachbum" Berry said was "like a tropical Sazerac".

1 oz Cruzan pinapple rum
1/2 oz Absolut vodka
1/4 oz Absinthe
2 - 3 dashes of Peychaud's Bitters
Scant dash of orange flower water

Build on ice, stir, strain into frozen Old Fashioned glass.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#90 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,995 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:36 AM

I'm having fun with fruit and absinthe as well. I've phunked a stawberry in a glass of absinthe to good effect.

If you're having phun, who's to argue?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association