Brooks

Cocktail Recipes

Had a Statesman cocktail earlier this evening and it got me to tinkering. I fixed this Southern variation in honor of infamous New Orleans governor and senator Huey "Kingfish" Long:

Kingfish Cocktail

2 oz. Genevieve genever

.5 oz. creme de peche

1 heapin' barspoon Herbsaint Original

1 good dash Bitter Truth Creole bitters

Stir with ice and strain into chilled coupe glass. Garnish with flamed lemon peel.

"Every man a king!"

EDIT: Tried this again last night, only with Anchor Distilling's Genevieve genever-style gin in place of London dry on a whim. It really took the drink to a whole new level--from "pretty good!" to "it'll make you slap your grandma!" Dried it out, gave it some backbone, and imparted a wonderful floral fruitiness. I've adjusted the above recipe accordingly.

Edited by AiO

"Bloody Lafitte" Sazerac.

Chill a spirits glass or a small rocks glass.

In a mixing glass put:

1 sugar cube

3 dashes of Orange bitters

A splash of water, muddle the sugar cube but don't dissolve it.

2oz Pyrat XO Rum

Fill mixing glass with ice and stir.

Take out the chilled glass and rinse with a small amount of Ridge Absinthe Blanche.

Strain the mixing glass into the chilled glass.

Add a Blood Orange twist.

Still playing around with my new bottle of Peach Street aged peach brandy. Thought I'd share my tongue-in-cheek (but tasty!) Southern variation on the Widow's Kiss cocktail:

OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW'S KISS

1 oz. Old Grand Dad 114-proof bourbon

1 oz. Peach Street aged peach brandy

.25 oz. green Chartreuse

.25 oz. Benedictine

2 healthy dashes of Peychaud's bitters

Stir with ice and strain into chilled coupe glass. No varnish, no garnish.

I think the vodka is there to add body and booze. Pisco might work if you are into fruity grape-ish chocolate. I would be one to delete the simple syrup and replace the vodka with a smooth rum. Add a dash or two of Orange Flower Water if you like those orange-chocolate candies.

Considering what I have read about chocolate and you, I can see you ditching the extra sweetness.

ABut the idea of the orange bitters does have appeal.

I think Evan's on to something with the "delete simple syrup" suggestion. Has anyone actually tasted the ChocoVine? It's so sweet on its own that made like in the video, I'd order it with a side of insulin.

In a mixing glass put:

1 sugar cube

2oz Pyrat XO Rum

Take out the chilled glass and rinse with a small amount of Ridge Absinthe Blanche.

I seem to recall Pirates Alley Cafe having a rum Sazerac. I think it was at Pirates Alley. :drunk:

As you probably know I am doing my best to change absinthe point of view here in Czech republic. It is a long time process becouse Czech drinkers used to drink our infamous czechsinthes for circa 20 years!

But times are changing. There are three properly distilled Czech absinthes on our market with my own imports of classic brands like La Clandestine, Jades, Brevans, Emile Pernot etc.

Very important way of getting real absinthes to the crowd is making them available in bars. Thus we recently co-organised very first absinthe cocktail contest for bartenders in Prague.

I made an report including all the recipes and some photos on our website. There are 13 fresh absinthe cocktail recipes so please feel free to try them at your home, bar etc.

Martin

"Garnish with clean egg shell..."

Neat! I wish we could do that in the US. :3869-sadbanana:

I'm definitely going to have to try some of these out.

A blanche would work too...I've never blanched eggs before. :twitchsmile:

Thanks for the hard work Martin! Looks like I'll have to do some research as well. Science is fun!

Edited by baubel

Last night I made a Moonlight cocktail.

2.5 oz Gin (Plymouth)

. 5 oz Contraeu

. 5 oz Creme de Violette

. 5 oz Lime Juice

Shake 15 seconds with ice and serve in a chilled champagne flute.

The drink has a cool purple color due to the CdV and has a taste similar to a sweet tart. It also packs a deceptive punch. I liked it.

In a mixing glass put:

1 sugar cube

2oz Pyrat XO Rum

I seem to recall Pirates Alley Cafe having a rum Sazerac. I think it was at Pirates Alley. :drunk:

Some rums make for great 'sazeracs'. The trick (I have found) is medium-bodied rums. Not too light, not too old-n-bold. Appleton Reserve is a good choice. If you go too old, it overpowers everything, and makes a dark, muddy mess of things. I loooove El Dorado's and Lemon Harts, and Zaya's as much as the next guy, but those are for sipping (or tikis), not something as elegent as a sazzy.

And yeah, I'd agree that Pyrat works here too, :) !

It IS quite good! I had a memorable one in Montana, back in June. :dev-cheers:

I doubt any of us will EVER have one like that again... :( :)

A twist on that (the original) to make a more delicious version- It does well with some sour and some sweet. I like to add 1/2oz fresh lemon juice, and 1/4oz of simple (but Chambord makes for a really nice twist on it).

Hemingway Mojito

Ingredients:

6 fresh mint leaves

Juice of 1 lime

2 tsp light brown sugar

1-1/2 oz. white rum, such as 10 Cane

3 oz. champagne

Sprig of fresh mint, for garnish

Instructions:

Step 1: In a rocks glass, add the mint leaves, lime juice, and brown sugar. Muddle to release the mint oil.

Step 2: Add the rum and fill the glass 3/4 full with ice. Top off with the champagne. Garnish with the mint sprig.

I make mine Absomphesized™ in a Collins Glass. Enjoy!

I said I would pass this one on. In Downtown Kashmir...

"The CudaMaker".

The list of ingredients is below. Then, stir with a rusty bayonet. It will cure all that ails you, guaranteed.

Ingredients (slight variations are acceptable, depending on what you can find in your cupboards):

Fugu California Small Batch Vodka

Ballast Point Ale - a San Diego microbrew

Leinenkugel Orange Shandy

Heartbreaking Dawn 1498 Cauterizer

Ghost Dust - a blend of Trinidad Scorpion Peppers, Habanero, and 4 or 5 more of the world's hottest peppers

Some Old Bay Seasoning

Bison Obituary: 2 Oz. Żubrówka, 1/4 Oz. Zubrsinthe Absinthe Boisson Spiritueuse, 1/4 Oz. Dolin Dry Vermouth. Shake and garnish with a lemon peel. A spin on the Obituary Cocktail from yours truly.

Got one for you, and bear with me because I know it sounds wacky:

One part absinthe, and three to four parts Mountain Dew (Mountain Dew Ice is better if available in your region)

I had the idea when trying a Dirty Secret and thinking the flavor of the cola didn't mix well with the licorice.  I found that Mountain Dew has a more complementary taste to absinthe.  I start most fun nights and end most bad days with one of these.