• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#31 Martin Lake

Martin Lake

The Great Lover of Mankind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:26 AM

Malort, a nonabsinthe liqueur made with some variety of wormwood. It's steepsintherific!

Jager's on my list. As is white zinfandel. Mike's hard anything. Mike can remain flaccid, as far as I'm concerned.
Ah, la petite mort; such beautiful suicide.

#32 drcocktail

drcocktail

• PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:18 PM

I loves me some Malört. It is actually made with the malört plant, and it tastes like a nice, bitter eau de vie de dill pickle. :arrr:
Fledermaus means inflatable mouse.

#33 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:56 PM

Colt 45, Busch, Milwaukee's Best, Natural Light--Valuable lessons taken from my late high school/college days when intoxication and macking on someone new and exciting was the only goal.

Seagram's Lime Flavored Gin--A silly purchase made about a decade ago that followed me from state to state until I finally dumped it out while packing last month.

Jose Cuervo Tequila--I used to use this for my margaritas. Now that I've discovered Sauza Hornitos, I'll never go back.

Over-oaked Chardonnay--This covers most Chardonnay out there. Give me a nice crisp Sauvignon Blanc or a floral Viognier any day.

Cabernet Sauvignon--Too commonplace and tannic. I prefer a Zin, Shiraz, or Pinot instead.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#34 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:13 PM

Macking on someone new and exciting is still a good goal. Although, these days, I'm just as happy to meet people and make potential good friends.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#35 Gertz

Gertz

Stale pastry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:37 AM

I loves me some Malört. It is actually made with the malört plant

Malört = Artemisia absinthium.
+

#36 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:02 AM

"Malort's bitter herbal flavor comes from the wormwood plant, which is soaked in a tank of 70-proof alcohol, stirred occasionally, then filtered, chilled and bottled. Gabelick has no quarrel with a blog calling Jeppson's a "back alley absinthe."" from

What drink asks 'are you man enough?'

http://www.suntimes....06.articleprint

Since it is 35% vol so maybe not that bad after all, if it depends how much wormwood is used per 1 litre.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#37 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,412 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:40 AM

What drink asks 'are you man enough?'

Czernina.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#38 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:09 AM

Actually, it functions as vegetable/meat soup, so quite close :cheers:
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#39 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:44 AM

Southern Comfort ---whywhywhy?
It was a great movie, though.

Which one?

Yeah, I agree, with some additions:

Crown
Many, many (most) beers
Jager
cheap tequila
moonshine/151
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#40 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:26 AM

moonshine

:devil: was it after or BEFORE reading the articles on surrogate alcohol???

#41 Martin Lake

Martin Lake

• 2,163 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:03 AM

Since it is 35% vol so maybe not that bad after all...

No, it is. It is. Oh, God, it is.

#42 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:20 AM

So if it so horrible, what the deal in making and selling it then? I think there is something very much alike in Poland, but at least its sales are low or none.

#43 drcocktail

drcocktail

• PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:22 AM

I loves me some Malört. It is actually made with the malört plant

Malört = Artemisia absinthium.

I'm astonished.

#44 Martin Lake

Martin Lake

• 2,163 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:34 AM

That's a good question about why anyone makes it. To the best of my knowledge, which is narrow and shrinking daily, the only place in the country Malort is made or sold is Chicago. Drinking it is kind of a proof of toughness/a rite of passage. You drink it so you can say you drank it. I'd speculate it retained its popularity here because there's a strong Polish population in Chicago and, as you've pointed out, it resembles a drink found in Poland.

#45 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:47 AM

Remember Tequiza? Do they still ake that? It was pretty freaking nasty!
Nothing is simpler than to complete pictures in a superficial sense. Never does one lie so cleverly as then. - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

#46 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:53 AM

If it is so really vile in the taste it might be similar to kosher piołunówka still being sold having nothing to do either with the genuine piołunówka, or any other Polish specialty.

For some time it used to be sold on the airports as a specialty so many unaware Poles might have brought it to the States when leaving Poland. Whenever you see it, do not bother, even from curiosity, better look for Baczewski's.

Posted Image

#47 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:32 PM

The Tequiza reference made me want to include the new fruit infused Michelob Ultras--Pomegranate Raspberry, Lime Cactus and Tuscan Orange Grapefruit. I've never tried them, but I hate them nonetheless. I just wanted it to go down on record.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#48 drcocktail

drcocktail

• PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:38 PM

That's a good question about why anyone makes it. To the best of my knowledge, which is narrow and shrinking daily, the only place in the country Malort is made or sold is Chicago. Drinking it is kind of a proof of toughness/a rite of passage. You drink it so you can say you drank it. I'd speculate it retained its popularity here because there's a strong Polish population in Chicago and, as you've pointed out, it resembles a drink found in Poland.

Not only THAT, but there USED to be not one but two competing brands of it for sale....yep, in Chicago - the only place I ever saw it either. Looks like I'm going to have to revise the CocktailDB description!

And yes, it always used to be sold in ethnic neighorhood liquor stores. In recent years, though, like Fernet Branca and Ng Ka Py, it has had a little boost in biker bars, I'm told. And you DO have to have some tough tonsils to drink this stuff! The hang tags really did talk about the "rare botanical" the malört plant at one point anyway. Truth is, I don't exactly replace my Malört that often! :dribble:

Wormwood. eh? I need to go see if it louches! :cool-reaper:

#49 Selmac

Selmac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:08 PM

I hate these new 'low carb' beers. I haven't even tried one, I just hate them on principle.
Walking the ocean
Any time I take the notion

#50 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,412 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:17 PM

Indeed™!

#51 Selmac

Selmac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:43 PM

Kill me now
Walking the ocean
Any time I take the notion

#52 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

Prolly do better than billy beer.

#53 printmkr

printmkr

• PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

If I were you, I would buy some and squirrel it away. After it tanks (what, a few months?) you will be sitting pretty. Do you know how much a can of unopened Billy Beer goes for now?!

Oops, nevermind.
"...anyone who listens to an artist talk should have his eyes examined."
Claes Oldenberg

#54 Helfrich

Helfrich

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:24 PM

Some that I hate: sake, IJsvogel kaneellikeur, sake, Beerenburg, Jägermeister, Küstennebel, sake and sake. And most liqueurs.

#55 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,702 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:27 PM

I've never tried it, but I hear Busch beer is pretty awful. A friend of mine told me about it being made from the left overs from the tanks and what was mopped up off the floors. I don't know if that's true but I'm certain I can live out the rest of my life without trying it.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#56 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,412 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:32 PM

Prolly do better than billy beer.

Bet it won't taste much better.

#57 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,894 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:14 PM

I've never tried it, but I hear Busch beer is pretty awful. A friend of mine told me about it being made from the left overs from the tanks and what was mopped up off the floors. I don't know if that's true but I'm certain I can live out the rest of my life without trying it.

I had an Uncle that worked at A/Busch for decades and decades. In college, we thought Busch was top shelf, reserved for special occasions. We didn't know any better. I doubt it was as bad as your rumor, Baubel but certainly as bad as everything else being push through that St Louis rice mill. :thumbdown:

#58 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:41 PM

Last time I was in Cancun I went into a grocery store & bought a liter of tequila in a plastic bottle for something like 75 cents. I figured it came in a plastic so when it hit the floor after to took a swig the container wouldn't break. I was very close to being right.

#59 Auguru

Auguru

Naught the One...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

Retsina!

I tried it probably 20+ years ago and when I think of it I instantly get that gag-reflex taste in my mouth! Maybe I just got a bad bottle, but that was nasty stuff...
"If I can't drink, I don't want to be in your revolution ..."
-- Emma Goldman

"Beneath the stars there are the bars that serve the bitter drink..."
-- Be Bop Deluxe ("Life in the Air Age" from the "Sunburst Finish" album)

#60 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:14 PM

Some that I hate: sake, IJsvogel kaneellikeur, sake, Beerenburg, Jägermeister, Küstennebel, sake and sake. And most liqueurs.

And you forgot to add sake to the list :) For Auguru: try the one released by Kourtaki, it is surprisingly very smooth (or at least was in the 90's).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association