Joe Legate

Recipes for Disaster

Well you had me with 'lox' and cream cheese. I don't think I've had a bagel like that since I left New York City and I miss that.

Anything on top can't be anything but good!

That sounds nearly perfect for summer. I've never tried using capers before. I'm nto even sure I know what it tastes like.

Thanks!

Capers are the pickled flower buds of a Mediterranean vine. They do taste like tiny pickles; but, they've got a flowery, mustard-ey, thing happening too. Tasty!

I was recently interested to discover that pickled, unripe nasturtium seeds are similar in taste and texture. Gotta try pickling some seeds some time.

Pernod-Marinated Fennel and Apple Sandwiches

Imagining flavors in my head isn't a strong suit of mine, as I don't cook. How do these sandwiches look to you?

Fennel is an underused, underappreciated vegetable in this country, and I love it.

Sorry, they look awful to me. In that pic. But the flavor combination sounds really intriguing. Especially with the goat cheese tang. Better bread and maybe some make-up on the fennel and the picture might look okay. I bet it still tastes down-right sophisticated. ;)

Mmmmm, fennel. I once had a fabulous salad of fresh crisp lettuces, thin slices of fennel, prosciutto, cubed fresh pears, and thin sheets of parmesano in a light vinagrette.

Damn, I'm getting hungry!

I'm doing fried chicken wings tonight.

Big container of wings from Wally land.

cut off tips, cut remainder in half.

cover with buttermilk for five hours (overnight is better).

Franks hot sauce

Sriracha

Krakatoa! (hab) to taste

Rinse buttermilk

cover with hot sauce mix for 30 minutes

dredge in flour and garlic powder.

deep fry in corn oil at 350F.

The wings sound good!

I'll have to give that a try.

Too bad no one else in my house like the spicy stuff. :devil:

By the way, the buttermilk soak is to allow the lactic acid to tenderize the chicken. This works well with any chicken dish.

Speaking of rec bell peppers --

I like to make a Hungarian Lecko sauce by cooking down red bell peppers, onions, garlic and paprika with a lilttle salt and a bit of saffron and Spanish smoked paprika. When they cook down enough, add some boiling water and simmer. Browned chicken stews well in this as does some roasted egglant to thicken. It goes weel over pasta or Kasha.

The other night I was looking for something in the supermarket, and I saw these HUGE pasta shells, kinda like the kind in Velveeta, only like 10 times as big, and I thought to myself, now THAT'S some mac n' cheese! Ended up looking on the back of the box and saw a recipe for stuffed shells (duh!). I can't remember all of the amounts, but it was basically ricotta, mozzarella, and grated parmesan, baked for about 30 minutes. One of the best things I've had in a while (being a college student...).

Ended up looking on the back of the box and saw a recipe for stuffed shells (duh!).

I jazz up the cheese stuffing with chopped onions, chopped broccoli, 2 finely diced habaneros, and some herbs. I let that sit overnight then stuff the shells the next day. I also use jalepenos or cherry peppers in the sauce to cover them. Nice and spicy.