Pan Buh

What's fresh?

I made Carmel Spiced Pear Butter many years ago and it was to die for. Just like making any pear or apple butter, but carmelize the sugar before you add it to the pear goo and add some cloves, nutmeg and a bit of cardamom. Process it in jars like jam and you can have it all winter long! Great on English muffins and crumpets.

My garden's just a crankin' out all kinds of great stuff. Herbs; Anise, Dill, Parsley. Two different kinds of Cucumbers. Squash; yellow crookneck and Zuchini. And a lone Eggplant.

I see that Beets seem to be coming into season at our farmers market. Just what do you do with a beet?

6 medium beets,

Trim greens* and roots, wash, wrap in aluminum foil.

Place in pan in oven with 1 red onion.

Roast at 450 for one hour, or until you can easily peirce a beet.

Cook 1 pound of penne while roasting.

Now it gets messy, use lots o' paper towels.

Let beets cool for a bit, remove from foil and wipe skins off with paper towels, cut into small "french fry" size pieces.

Skin and chop onion (also messy).

Toss beets and onions with some balsamic vinegar, olive oil, freshly chopped rosemary and salt & pepper to taste.

Toss all with cooked penne until pasta turns red.

Enjoy.

My wife calls this vampire pasta and I had to make it every Tuesday night to eat while watching Buffy.

*Reserve greens, wash thoroughly and use in a lentil soup.

They kick ass.

Grey Boy,

That sounds good, thanks for the recipe! I'll have to buy some Beets saturday at the market and give that one a try.

My wife calls this vampire pasta and I had to make it every Tuesday night to eat while watching Buffy.

:3869-sadbanana: I miss Buffy.

Sorry, Off Topic.

I finished canning two cases of tomatoes last night.

When I came into work today I found someone left a bag of green beans on the table in the lab (where we put excess garden goods).

Looks like I'll be cooking green beans tonight and bringing in tomatoes tomorrow.

Make Borscht.

I'll eat nearly anything, but I draw the line at beets. :puke:

In fact, when I first learned that most commercial absinthes were distilled using beet alcohol, it was almost enough to put me off the stuff.

Almost.

Um, that's what I said.

Sorry......when I posted yours wasn't showing yet!!! That sounds really good-I want to try that too. Thanks!

:3869-sadbanana: I miss Buffy.

Sorry, Off Topic.

Me too, but Joss Whedon is writing a new comic that just started. It starts as season #8, basically picks up where the TV show ended, so far 5 issues have come out and it's pretty good.

When cooking/eating beets, I highly recommend not wearing white or any other light color. Spillage factor, you know.

Um, maybe that's just me...:huh:

Greyboy: I know! Haven't bought season eight books yet.

I guess I better get back on topic.

Ugh.....ummmm.......I made popcorn today. Oh, wait! It is a fruit and vegetable thread.

I hit my Dobie with a large cucumber when she tried to take my popcorn.

Well my garden is no more. It was obliterated in an afternoon by a freak hail storm that a local blog caught in photos.

Hail damage in Dillon

I was in the hills and witnessed the periphery of this deluge of ice, it was bad there and must have been horrific at home. I wish I got to see it, but I'm dang glad I was'nt out fishing when it happened. My Peppers look worse than Moorcats photos and virtually nothing survived. Even the trees got stipped of their leaves. Weird weather, there were still piles of hail the next morning some 15 hours later.

Make Borscht.

I'll eat nearly anything, but I draw the line at beets. :puke:

In fact, when I first learned that most commercial absinthes were distilled using beet alcohol, it was almost enough to put me off the stuff.

Almost.

I tinkered with an experiment tonight that certainly looked like Borscht and in the beginning it tasted kind of like Dr. Pepper. I don't know if I will ever make it again, but Dan seemed interested in it.