Sign in to follow this  
printmkr

May have found my perfect dripper

There are probably cheaper places to buy one of these, but for those in the Seattle area, I wandered down to "Science, Art and More..." on 65th and Roosevelt. I knew there must be some kind of vessel that would be the dripper I was looking for. And I found it!

At first I was a little hesitant, thinking I should pose as some chemistry student... until I saw two stacks of books underneath all the lab glassware, "The Distiller's Art", and "Making Your Own Corn Whiskey." I felt right at home.

So I picked up one of these. The 500 ml is a bit big, but the neck is big enough for ice cubes. It drips great, though my wife thinks a stopper might be in order, in case of overflow. I say, if you are overflowing this puppy, you may have already had too much absinthe! Time will tell how sturdy the glass nozzle part will be with repeated washings. But it has a nice balance in the hand when full, and, makes you feel like Mr. Science to boot.

I also found some other interesting, er, food items, there. Take it from me, you are going to want to order a bunch of these for stocking stuffers, or to make your own Chex Party Mix for Super Bowl Sunday!

Yes, I was looking at the separatory funnels, but it seemed the top might be tight to get ice cubes in. I may have to try one, though. A bit more expensive, but oh so chic.

I'm not sure how you're going to use it as a dripper, though.

He puts ice cubes and water through the top of the flask and dribbles through the side spout - the part that is horizontal if you hold the flask upright. At least that's my guess.

He puts ice cubes and water through the top of the flask and dribbles through the side spout - the part that is horizontal if you hold the flask upright. At least that's my guess.

I would never guess :devil:

I would never guess :devil:

I was fortunate to acquire a 1000 ml separatory funnel from my chemist friend who works

in the lab next to mine. He found it among some dusty equipment, obsolete for his purposes.

He's such a nice guy! "Oh, you're going to need a ring stand with that - here you go."

I crush cubes in a plastic Ziplock bag with a rubber mallet and put them in the top.

It really works perfectly. The stopcock allows complete control from tiny drops to a steady stream.

Peace and Love!