Trying a Hookah?

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#61 89five.o

89five.o

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:47 PM

Nice to see there's a hookah thread. If you haven't already, try alcohol or soda as the base for a different kind of smoke :)

#62 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:26 PM

I've found ice cold tequila or gin to do wonderfully. Also, flavored rums work great if you're smoking a fruity shisha. For example, the Bacardi Grand Melon works wonders with rose shisha.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#63 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:17 PM

I've tried using liquor in my hookah. I guess I'm not man enough for it. It felt like the stage of extreme drunkedness where you're dizzy, unstable, and incoherent, yet without any of the euphoric feelings. That nightmarish 20 minutes right before puking and passing out.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#64 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

I guess a lot has to do with smoke temp too. The longer the hookah stem, one would assume lower smoke temp when it hits the alcohol. I've never gotten the effect you mentioned Peridot, just some of the flavor carryover.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#65 89five.o

89five.o

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:17 PM

I get a slight buzz sometimes but I do it essentially for the taste. Cola is good with the soda and fruit flavors because you kind of get the whole fizz taste.

#66 Fata Morgana

Fata Morgana

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:23 PM

Yay hookah! Since my absinthe won't arrive till tomorrow (and even then, I'm -supposed- to wait till next Sunday so my boyfriend can try it with me), I had to settle myself with breaking out the ole hooka, and brewing up a cup of herbal tea.

Now, all my shisha is actually Al-Amir, and I was wondering why it was suggested to be avoided. I find it to be rather nice, but I admit, I have no idea what other varieties I've tried in other settings. It's possible I've never had really high quality shisha.
"They really are the worst twins ever. "

#67 uglybiker

uglybiker

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:06 PM

If nobody else likes it, then you won't have to worry about everyone else mooching off of you! ;)

Personally, I have been very satisfied with HookaH-HookaH brand that I get from www.hookahhub.com (although I have some Al Waha samples on order).

Right now I'm smoking some Hookah-Hookah Menthol.
I am mot suffering from mental illness
Quite the contrary! I'm enjoying every minute!

#68 Faerie Fyre

Faerie Fyre

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:51 AM

Thanks to Shabba for that link! I have been thinking about getting a hookah a while myself as all my Canadian friends are always raving about the good shisha they find. I am in a little hick town at the moment so there are no bars here. About as exotic as we get are some Djarum Blacks. Anyhoo, I went shopping on Southsmoke last night. :yahoo: Yaay for new obsessions and addictions.

#69 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:12 AM

:cheers:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#70 russkyguy1917

russkyguy1917

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:38 PM

Hookah is great. I usually smoke the Layalina brand. Mostly because that's about all the local smoke shop carries. I got my hookah almost 2 months ago and I'm loving it. I also enjoy a good cigar from time to time, and love smoking pipe tobacco.
"Not you're everyday Coloradan."

#71 verbal_kraze

verbal_kraze

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

I've been smoking a hookah for a few years now and by far the best shisha I've had so far is from this little hookah bar in San Diego, Fumari. Really smooth and flavorful.

http://www.fumari.com/
-"My story: I was cutting through Ringer Park in Allston, a bunch of punks were having a party with a bonfire and my Absinthe buzz was just starting to kick in. So I mingled, then ever so slightly everyone started morphing into native americans (I mean Injins). I had this feeling we were on an ancient sacred Indian site and they were invading our souls (but in a friendly way). This was the only time I ever hallucinated on the stuff, it was fun and scary. "

#72 Stephen

Stephen

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

I've been smoking hookah since 2001, I usually purchase from HookahHookah.com or this site Hookah-Shisha.com
"Absinthe makes the Heart grow fonder."

#73 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

FYI, I picked up some AL-Faker shisha from Southsmoke.com. It's easily the best I've found. It burns forever and the flavor is outstanding. I bought: Lemon with Mint, Grape with Mint, Rose, Sweet Melon, Double Apple and Mixed Berry. Unbelievable stuff. And you can buy it in sample sizes for $2.50 so you can try it without worrying about not liking it.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#74 89five.o

89five.o

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:41 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here's a pic of my hookah. I've recently tried the pumpkin pie flavor and it is AWESOME!!! Only tip I can give is to use aluminum foil with small holes punched via pen or needle versus the metal piece they usually give you for on top of the shisha. This keeps the ashes out of the shisha and keeps the smoke from getting harsh. Good luck!

.....wow just realized this was an old thread, and one in which I've already replied several times haha

#75 uglybiker

uglybiker

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:30 PM

Here's two of mine...

36" Al Fakher syrian
Posted Image

48" Magdy Zidan
Posted Image

Lately I've been getting most of my smoking supplies from John Naddour at www.hookahjohn.com

He's great to deal with and has a very good selection of shisha and accessories.
Don't forget to try some Nakhla and Salloum brands.
Smoking some Salloum unflavored right now. Nice smoke.
I am mot suffering from mental illness
Quite the contrary! I'm enjoying every minute!

#76 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

Man, every single time someone posts in this thread, I have to go home and have a hookah night.

Yep, hookah at my house tonight. It's official.
Nothing is simpler than to complete pictures in a superficial sense. Never does one lie so cleverly as then. - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

#77 89five.o

89five.o

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

I'm going to pick up some Starbuzz Blue Mist and Pumpkin pie shisha mmmmmmm. Oh, I found a really good site for wholesale Shisha prices. You can get Starbuzz shisha for around $13 for 250g versus the $20 it usually costs. Have fun!

Four Aces Wholesale

#78 Heurvert

Heurvert

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:35 PM

From my experience, I recommend MYA Saray hookahs. I have a QT series hookah from MYA. Most of my hookah smoking friends have gone through two or three hookahs in their time, but I'm still on my first. The only part that has needed replacement was the rubber grommet, and that's because I ran it through the dishwasher. The QT is also a great portable size.
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk."

-Tom Waits

#79 seeker of truth

seeker of truth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:38 AM

Posted Image

Whoa, talk about snake oil! What's in the jar, looks like a cobra, and what's it for?
I talk like a drunk man walks, in every which way but where he is headed.

#80 zombie

zombie

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:43 PM

Nice to see there's a hookah thread. If you haven't already, try alcohol or soda as the base for a different kind of smoke :)

Ooooo Never thought of that, Im going to have to try that.
Props For Buddha

#81 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

Just found a new brand of shisha that is tobacco and nicotine free called Hydro. Got it from Southsmoke. It smells unbelievable (I got two flavors: sweet rose and peach). I'll report back with my findings.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#82 Gadfly

Gadfly

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:58 AM

I really enjoy my "Nakhla" brand of shisha. My favorite all time flavor to go with anything is "Nakhla Chocomint". It's a good traditional un-washed tobacco packs a bit of a punch and it's the prefect relaxer after a 12+ hour workday.

Also got some pictures of my hookahs. Both Egyptian

Posted Image

#83 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:50 PM

I just pulled the trigger on an order from South Smoke for a hookah, a bunch of shisha, and some other goodies. I can't wait for my stuff to arrive.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#84 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

So which did you choose? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#85 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

I got the Mya QT in green, the Hydro shisha in Green Ice (spearmint), Blue Viper (blueberry), Sunray (orange), and Black Widow (blackberry), the Al Fakher in Jasmine, Sweet Melon, and Double Apple, and the Havana in Lemon and Rose. I also got some Exotica charcoal, cleaner and brushes, and some tongs. I think I'm all set for a hookah session in the rathskeller next weekend!

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#86 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

Niiiiiiiice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#87 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:28 PM

Yes? You approve? Good. I can't wait to try out my new hobby. :yahoo:

#88 Ether Maiden

Ether Maiden

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:12 AM

For the Seattle based folk- when the smoking ban went down, did it close down hookah bars? I've not seen any around, and they're something I miss from Pittsburgh.
J'aurais voulu ne pas mourir, j'aurais voulu ne jamais grandir, j'aurais voulu me casser l'ame.

#89 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:35 PM

My package arrived today. Southsmoke is great with super-fast delivery. I'm itching to try out my new toys, but the SO says "no way" until Friday.

#90 Gadfly

Gadfly

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:38 AM

Very nice selection for a first order, you've got the bases covered, you'll have a good time.

I got the Mya QT in green, the Hydro shisha in Green Ice (spearmint), Blue Viper (blueberry), Sunray (orange), and Black Widow (blackberry), the Al Fakher in Jasmine, Sweet Melon, and Double Apple, and the Havana in Lemon and Rose. I also got some Exotica charcoal, cleaner and brushes, and some tongs. I think I'm all set for a hookah session in the rathskeller next weekend!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association