• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#31 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:18 AM

After re-reading this topic I was inspired to go to our neighborhood Hookah Bar last night. I have never smoked flavoured tobaccos out of a Hookah before, and was anxious to try it. We had a really good time. We tried the rose flavour, as recommended by Shabba. We loved it. I think we are going to have to get one for home, as well!
Nothing is simpler than to complete pictures in a superficial sense. Never does one lie so cleverly as then. - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

#32 TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:22 AM

This is the site I use to get my shisha.

:yahoo:

I'm so glad I clicked on the link! I haven't been to southsmoke.com for years, and it looks like they've improved their product line since the last time I've been there, including the pyrex bowl which I've been trying to get my hands on for a long, long time! My friend was lucky enough to randomly run into someone at a flea market that had made a glass bowl and sold it to him. The flavor using the glass bowl was enhanced considerably over using clay bowls- I'm hoping it'll be the same for pyrex. Unfortunately someone stole my friend's hookah shortly afterward. He was so bummed, as was I.

Thanks Shabba! :thumbup:

Alyssa- Rose is awesome. One of those flavors you say to yourself 'who in their right mind smokes rose?', but when you do it totally hits the spot. My personal favorite right now is orange cream.

Edited by TheSixthRing, 21 August 2007 - 07:29 AM.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, thus absinthe makes the wallet squander.

#33 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:27 AM

That's it. Next get-together in SoCal South (my house) - we are having a hookah. Woo Hoo!

MMMMMMMM..... orange cream........
Nothing is simpler than to complete pictures in a superficial sense. Never does one lie so cleverly as then. - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

#34 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:16 PM

:cheers:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#35 deaddybear

deaddybear

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:35 PM

I just realized I never posted after buying my hookah. Shabba gave great advice, and southsmoke took good care of me. I bought a 24 inch single hose in a lovely cobalt blue egyptian pattern. Shisha in rose, double apple and melon finished the order.

The smoking is great. A very different experience from my usual cigars. I am really fond of pairing my hookah smoking with a good Gin and Tonic (my favorite summertime drink - it has been running in the upper nineties to low hundreds here...). The learning curve is pretty simple and it is great fun trying different "fillers" in the hookah. I love the rose shisha with iced tea in the hookah - the ice makes a very cool and satisfying smoke and the flavor pairs well with the rose shisha.

Alyssa, hopefully I can make the next SoCal event (my Dad is doing much better) and I will order another hose and bring the hookah and some shisha along!

#36 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:21 AM

DB - that sounds great. By the way - you have created a monster with this thread! I went to the Hookah Lounge (I can't believe this place has been just a few blocks from my house this whole time!) again last night. Today I am going to buy my own. Chris 523 recommended a store in Anaheim - I looked through the window last night (closed on Tuesdays) and my jaw dropped in wonderement and awe. I can't wait to go today.

And I swear the Shisha has been helping my headaches.

#37 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

I miss the hookah bar. As does my wife. Since she's been pregnant, we haven't been able to go. She's looking forward to being able to go again. As am I!!!!

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#38 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:22 PM

Great. You people are going to give me yet another vice.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#39 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:34 AM

Tell me about it, Nymph. I stopped by the shop Chris523 reccomended (Thanks, Chris!). I walked out with a beautiful (and huge) hookah, all accessories, and 13 different flavours of tobacco. Now I didn't actually buy that many, the nice lady kept throwing in some other packs that were her favourite for me to try. What a great place. They were so nice and helpfull.

#40 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,417 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:26 AM

Great. You people are going to give me yet another vice.

Somebody has to compensate for me, if just to maintain The Balance™.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#41 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:19 AM

Abs, I'm with you on that - big guy. A medication I was recently taking damaged my liver. (Just a little - nothing too serios). I have to totally back off my drinking a bit 'til the old liver is back in shape. I haven't had a drink in almost a week! But I have been smoking the hookah every night. Very nice.

#42 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:48 AM

Here is what I bought at that shop in Anaheim. It is over 3', came with a case, and all cleaning stuff. Smokes great. Broke it in with some Starbuzz Passionate Kiss. I love the chiller feature.

Posted Image

#43 TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:15 PM

Nice! :thumbup:

I've never smoked on a hookah with a chiller. I wonder if it improves the smoke any better than just popping the ice cubes in the water below.

Here's my hookah. I've customized a lot of the parts on this thing, including the design and fabrication of my own hoses (sans the wooden tips on both ends). It's a brass stem, though I've had it for several years with no problems other than a slight tarnish. Stainless steel is still the way to go, though, I love my hookah too much to trade out.

Posted Image

#44 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:48 PM

Alyssa, the first batch is always free. You'll be a hookah junkie soon. B)
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#45 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:53 PM

I'm already there Nymph. There is enough tobacco in my house to start my own hookah lounge. Not to mention the three more that I ordered from Southsmoke that are on their way. I just have to try that orange cream TSR was raving about.

I think I might have an addictive personality.

Just maybe.

#46 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:44 AM

Okay, SixthRing, I bought some of that Orange Cream tobacco you raved about. That is some damn tasty stuff! Thanks for the tip!

#47 hissykitties

hissykitties

Ms. Sassypuss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

Oscar cooked a wonderful moghul-style roast lamb and we are now settling down to play with this:

Attached File  hookah1.jpg   88.78K   1007 downloads

It arrived from Egypt on Tuesday with all of the accouterments. The base was smashed to bits and to our complete surprise, another one showed up at Oscar's office on Thursday. We tried the licorice and green apple shisha last night and are trying rose and cinnamon tonight.
"The less I behave like Whistler's mother the night before, the more I look like her the morning after." ~ Tallulah Bankhead

#48 sabrina

sabrina

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:57 PM

Is it ok to envy??? my friend has one that is ALMOST as beautiful as yours. the one she owns has 4 "ports"(not sure of the official term)...that's VERY lovely :cheers:

#49 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,170 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:35 PM

Wow! Hissy, that's way nice. That Oscar is a gem of a fellow. :)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#50 TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:41 PM

Oscar cooked a wonderful moghul-style roast lamb and we are now settling down to play with this:

Attached File  hookah1.jpg   88.78K   1007 downloads

It arrived from Egypt on Tuesday with all of the accouterments. The base was smashed to bits and to our complete surprise, another one showed up at Oscar's office on Thursday. We tried the licorice and green apple shisha last night and are trying rose and cinnamon tonight.

Hmmmm.... that green base looks familiar. :g: :thumbup:

Alyssa- Yeah, that orange cream is just unbelievabley good.

#51 hissykitties

hissykitties

Ms. Sassypuss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:52 PM

Oscar is truly a gem. We loved the rose is wonderful. One thing I would suggest is that if you start of with it for the evening, choose other shisha flavors that will complement the rose. It seems to permeate, but in a most delightful way. The rose that we tried is from the US. The other shisha seems to be much smoother.

Sabrina, you are more than welcome to come over and partake.
"The less I behave like Whistler's mother the night before, the more I look like her the morning after." ~ Tallulah Bankhead

#52 sabrina

sabrina

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

that would be a long drive tonight..hahaha. Also I'm keeping company with 2 delightful 8yo girls. We're having a sleep-over and I count myself lucky they haven't tied me up and locked me in the closet. If I go MIA you guys will know what happened..a regular barrel of monkeys around here.

I have a friend who swears by putting Gin in the hookah instead of water..ever heard of that?

#53 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:25 PM

:laf:
I feel for you, Sabrina!
I have a 9 year old girl and a 6 year old boy!
:PLAYNICE:

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#54 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:19 PM

It seems to permeate, but in a most delightful way.

Glad you like the rose. It's one of my top favorites. If you can find it, the melon pairs nicely with the rose.

And great looking hookah! :cheers:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#55 Fixedspiral

Fixedspiral

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:34 AM

The other day I found out that there's a hookah bar not 3 minutes walking distance from my apartment; they advertise staying open until the wee hours on Fridays and Saturdays, however my friend and I went up there around 2:30 am and said they stopped around 2... :thumbdown: Apparently one can "rent" the hookah for $5 an hour, and betwixt the two of us, that would probably be more than enough to try it out and see if we would want to further invest in a hookah. I think the guy said it included up to 2 or 3 different flavors.

Unfortunately, this place is more of a sketch smoke-shop than a boho-styled indie hipster joint, but I'm more than willing to spend the cash, and what do you expect, with the place being in the middle of a college town's bar scene... :poop:

#56 GrayWolf

GrayWolf

The one that keeps disappearing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:43 AM

There is a nice Hooka/waterpipe shop in Amsterdam that sells some lovely decorated ones. I´ve been meaning to get myself a nice personal one for the house in Bangor... and I think this topic just pushed me over the edge and go do it.

With friends we tried a ton of different tobacco and fruits, but the cinnamon, apple and rose ones were most loved
Alcohol may be the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.

#57 hissykitties

hissykitties

Ms. Sassypuss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:06 AM

Excellent. More incentive to get over there... The cinnamon is delightful!

#58 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:50 AM

Rose is my personal favourite. I will have to try mixing it with melon later tonight. I have some great Starbuzz Rose, and some yummy Al Fakher Melon I might have to dabble with.

#59 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:39 PM

I just ordered some Nour coals. All I'd used so far are self-lighting and they gave me such a headache that I only smoked really rarely. I also got rose, orange cream, and chocolate mint shisha by Al-Waha and jasmine by Layalina. I was shopping at Southsmoke and they only had Al-Fakher and Al-Qemah in containers larger than I think I could work through.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#60 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:33 AM

I only use natural coals. Just light them up opn the kitchen stove in a metal coal sieve thingy. I really like that Al-Waha chocolate mint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association