• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 Dr. Doré

Dr. Doré

Professeur d’Absinthe

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:46 PM

If you are looking for good ethnic food in Minneapolis, just head over to Nicollet Ave between 24th and and 29th. You can eat almost anywhere on the planet.

And Bucca is crap. Much better then Olive Garden, but still crap.
Deep inside everyone is a dirty, little Frenchman.

#32 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:02 PM

Okay, I've been dating a lot again recently, so I've expanded my local restaurant knowledge as of late.

Goodies-
The Chambers- Jean-Georges Vongerichten's newest restaurant, and a REAL gem.
Also, the lounge upstairs- Red, White, and Fucking Blue (yes, its real name)- has, IMHO, the best mixologists in the Midwest. The ambiance is downright 'coastal', so dress appropriate for either.
The Loop- Good food, creative takes on classics, and a flair for new dishes every week. Been twice.
311 Club has great music, and decent food.
Enjoy!- The best place (I've seen so far) on the south side of the Cities. A not-terribly common menu, and decent service, in a very nice location (they built their own lake, it has outdoor fireplaces, and beautiful artwork).

so-so:
Manhattan's- decent food at 'good food' prices. The feel and vibe is nice though, as was the service.
Saji-Ya- Decent but not incredible sushi bar. Good selection, and decent prices. Worth going, but not my favorite in town.

Total shit:
Acropolis- The worst Greek food I have ever had, at double typical prices for average Greek food.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#33 Selmac

Selmac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:39 PM

For Greek food, there is a place on Lake Street and Lyndale Avenue called "It's Greek To Me" that's decent. It has a spectacular patio so go when it's nice out.
Walking the ocean
Any time I take the notion

#34 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,752 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:25 PM

Total shit:
Acropolis- The worst Greek food I have ever had, at double typical prices for average Greek food.

I made the mistake of eating there, too. Terrible! As is Buca EXCEPT for the pesto salmon dish. One of the best I've had and I've had plenty.
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#35 eas

eas

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

Good heavens, where are the other TC local foodies here?

IF you haven't already:

- Restaurant Alma

- Vincent

- La Belle Vie

- St Paul Grille (great cocktails too)

PM me and join us for drinks...

#36 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:18 PM

A gal I've been dating swears by Alma. And La Belle Vie. I am going to HAVE to try those two out now, for sure. Perhaps I will send you that PM, haha!

I'm not a fan of SPG. Nothing struck me as all that inventive.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#37 Selmac

Selmac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:15 AM

La Belle Vie hasn't been in town all that long but I do want to get over there. I went through it just before it opened and it's spectacular inside.
Walking the ocean

#38 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:29 AM

Just made reservations at Alma for Friday night. Early though, as we've got show tickets for afterwards. I'll give a review afterwards, :)

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#39 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:14 PM

I just hit up r. Normans last night and I gotta say, it is a far better-then-average steakhouse. The ambiance and atmosphere alone are worth the (admittedly steep) price of a meal. Service was above average as well.

(and a quick edit to my above post on Alma. Went there back in the Fall, and I sadly found nothing redeeming about it. Uninspired food, UGLY design, and an unknowledgable staff. C-, but lower due to them pricing themselves as an elite restaurant. I say avoid.)

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#40 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:48 AM

Not a restaurant, but can anybody tell me if the The Front/Ground Zero is still around? I used to hang out there many years ago, back during the tiki craze days.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#41 Selmac

Selmac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:49 AM

They are still around. They have bondage nights where people get all dressed up in their best leathers and they have staged S&M shows. It's pretty tame though. Halloween is the best night to go, seems like anything goes that day.
Walking the ocean

#42 Nepenthes

Nepenthes

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:54 PM

I remember the first time I went to The Front. I walked up to the bar, ordered an Edisonian and they knew exactly how to make it.

Plus there were cigarette girls. That night started my very short life as a smoker.
I don't want to take over the world. Just poke at it, make it twitch.

#43 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:21 PM

Yes! :thumbup: That's exactly why I loved that place, and the cool velvet couches upstairs above the DJ booth.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#44 Nepenthes

Nepenthes

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

Well, that first trip was over ten years ago. My most recent trip there was not as wonderful. Loud disco comes closer to the mark.
I don't want to take over the world. Just poke at it, make it twitch.

#45 hyperlunch

hyperlunch

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:21 AM

One of the best kept secrets in the Twin Cities is the Oyster Orgy at Stella's Fish Cafe/Prestige Oyster bar in Uptown. It is normally a really expensive high-end seafood place... but on Fridays from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. there is an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet... for FREE. Plus 2-for-1 beers! I'll never forget the first time I walked in there. I was expecting, you know, a handful of limp shrimp and faux-crab a'la drab, and an oyster that coulda been moister, etc. But I walked in, and there was a WALL of seafood on ice -- crab legs, raw oysters in the half shell, bowls of ceviche, gigantic shrimp, and fried cod nuggets -- all you can eat, and 100% FREE. I had 58 oysters my first time there! It was crazy. I got there right at 3:00 p.m. and there was nobody there. By 5:00 p.m. though it was pretty packed, so go early. Anyway, best kept secrets are best kept secret! So... shh! :paperbag3:

ADDENDUM:

Actually I think they charge 50 cents for the raw oysters now, maybe because they're out of season? A $0.50 oyster is still a good deal in the midwest -- but they definitely used to be free! Maybe they will be again.
I am a man of louche morals.

#46 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:10 PM

Back in the day I went to college not far outside the Twin Cities but my good friend lived in Minneapolis and would always take me to this dive called Little Tijuana. It wasn't fine, and it was questionably dining, but for a stoned college kid from California at 3 in the morning, a marginal Mexican restaurant with the entire staff dressed in goth was just what the doctor ordered. I think it was on 26th street, anyone happen to know if it's still around? Good times :twitchsmile:

#47 hyperlunch

hyperlunch

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:06 AM

Yeah, Little T's is still around! I almost went there last night, actually... it's a standard gathering spot for friends after late-night events. Total dive, true, but as long as you're not there thinking you're in for authentic Mexican food -- rather, you are there for decently priced late night snacking -- it's great. I love the punked-out waitstaff. And their dining music consists of choice retro morsels like Devo and the Circle Jerks. It's at 26th and Nicollet.

[edit for typo]
I am a man of louche morals.

#48 Selmac

Selmac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:55 AM

Ah, the goth district. Little T's is an institution!

These days though, I go to Pepito's for Mexican.
Walking the ocean

#49 jeffalso

jeffalso

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:13 PM

Manny's Steakhouse
This place is my personal favorite. It's consistently been rated in the top 10 steak houses in the Country by the Zagot restaurant guide. The last Zagot reviewer wrote "this is the place for my last meal on earth." They also have one of the best wine lists you'll find. I wouldn't make a weekend reservation past 7:00 though, as they get so busy your reservation will likely get pushed back. Weekend reservations should be made a week or so ahead of time. Dress is business casual to formal.

The Oceanaire
This place is just across the way from Manny's. It's a 1930's oceanliner styled fine dining seafood restaurant. All seafood is flown in daily from the best suppliers from around the world. Everything on the menu was swimming in the ocean within the previous 24 hours.

Moscow on the Hill
This is easily the best authentic Russian resaurant around. They also have the largest selection of Vodkas in the midwest.

Theres alot more out there, but these are among my favorites.

Edited by jeffalso, 02 June 2008 - 04:19 PM.

#50 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:14 PM

I might have to give The Oceanaire a try.

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#51 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:10 PM

Oceanaire is a very good chain restaurant. There are quite a few, but they are usually quite decent.

I'll vouch for Moscow on the Hill, in Saint Paul. And their bartenders (the ones I have come across) are really quite good.

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association