Sign in to follow this  
printmkr

Drinking Serpis

I have no idea what I am in for, but I had to try it. I did a search through all the other threads, and came up with everything from "bananas" to slushies and Red Bull. I guess my question is, can or does one drink this like a regular absinthe, with the drip and the sugar, etc? Or is it so strong tasting, that it has to be mixed with something? Also, I am assuming this is artificially colored? Thanks for any information!

You can drink Serpis just like any other absinthe using water and sugar. But since it is more of a novelty absinthe due to its red color, it makes a nice base for several interesting cocktails. As for its color, historically it came from paprika, but more than likely it's artificial now.

As for its color, historically it came from paprika, but more than likely it's artificial now.
Where'd you find that? Typically the color came from cochineal scarlet (beetles). Now it's at least partially artificial, and says so on the bottle.

I can't stand it fixed traditionally, I'm lovin' the Slerpis and the Bullpis though.

I found it was quite nice with Izze Rasberry Soda. I should know this by know but is there a Slerpis recipe anywhere, I've heard it mentioned countless times, but I still don't know what's in one.

I should know this by know but is there a Slerpis recipe anywhere, I've heard it mentioned countless times, but I still don't know what's in one.
Serpis and cherry Slushie, in whatever proportions you like.

and paprika 20,23 euro per 100g

Where do you shop? :shock:

If one wants the top notch ingredients and when money is not an object and client's satisfaction is the most important (btw, such people do not exist), the prices shall be high.

http://www.kremer-pigmente.de/shopint/inde...p;product=36304

Hibiscus is better, long-lasting and cheaper (100g = 1,5 euro in Poland).

Since it's tremendously unlikely that anyone would pay that much for it when it can be obtained more cheaply, why did you bring it up to begin with as though that's just simply the price one would have to pay and because of that, if it were used in Serpis, it would make the product much more expensive?

Since it's tremendously unlikely that anyone would pay that much for it when it can be obtained more cheaply, why did you bring it up to begin with as though that's just simply the price one would have to pay and because of that, if it were used in Serpis, it would make the product much more expensive?

If it were actually used in Serpis or any other absinthe, the product even if in high demand would not pay back.

On the other hand, since there is a tendency for most of red-coloured absinthes/absinths to be artificial, this would move such a product higher on a shelf but for the more expensive price, though.

It is just a speculation; still the colour is best obtained with hibiscus and at the lowest cost if there are some producers working with calendula as well. I have tried some, not necessarily absinthes, coloured with paprika and although beautiful,it tends to spoil the taste.

You didn't exactly answer me. But that's okay. I'm used to it.

So, paprika or liquified beetles (mmm, liquified beetles!) are not used in Serpis and it is 100% artificially colored, correct? Just so I can sound intelligent when waxing poetic about Serpis... "You know, you really need those precious bodily fluids of insects to get that creamy, exquisite louche..."

If the question why bring it the answer is simple: because if there are possibilities of natural colouring, something could be done with artificially-coloured products and their tendency could be stopped.

The price is affected by all the materials used in production, so why would you wonder if Serpis is made at least with just supermarket paprikas, it would not change it? Just the closest example: UE68 costs 48 euro, UER68 costs 52 euro.

Perhaps you didn't pick up that I'm not really talking about Serpis or paprika.

If not Serpis, paprika, colouration, or pricing, so what, then? Forgive me if I am lazy :cheers: today, but do not get your point.

Hmmm. I admit to the guilty pleasure of liking Serpis, but not in the traditional manner. I usually do Bullpis, but if it's late and I don't want to be up all night, I'll mix it with Thomas Kemper or another quality cherry soda. It's very sweet but attractive (like me) and beginners love it. :wub:

I'm a Serpis and 7-11 cherry slushie addict. Too bad I have no Serpis now that I've moved to the 7-11 heavy are of The Lou!