Sign in to follow this  
A. Raitano

Abinsthe Grune Fee

So last night, my girlfriend and I tried the "Grune Fee" with umlaut and all. Her boss brought it back with him from his trip to Vienna. Just a sample, hardly enough for one glass each. This is my review.

I am not very familiar with absinthes in general. The ones I have had have been oil mixes.

First things first: No anise. No anise. No sparkle on the toungue. No minty afterbite numbness. No uplifiting of spirit with each taste. So it goes without saying, no louche. NO LOUCHE. Ok, a little. But no swirly little smoke trials dancing around in my glass. Just all of a sudden... cloudy. What?

Color before and after was very thin green, like a green apple liqeur or body spray or something.

Also, a very distinct overripe banana/apple aroma. What? Is there something in wormwood that smells like overripe bananas. Maybe it was that particular batch. I should write the company. It is the schnapsmuseum after all. Maybe they didn't clean out the vat or something. In any case it was so overpowering that I couldn't really get a grasp on any of the other, more subtle flavors. The wormwood was quite pronounced though. Dark and woody and bitter. And there was a linger of something akin to cinnamon.

All in all, an unpalatable apertif of a late october orchard. With cinnamon.

I tried to like. I really did. I drank the whole thing even. Please hurry, LDF. My tongue is burning.

You deserve a medal for finishing the glass. This is also an oil mix...no better than most others. Not sure about the banana taste; Serpis has the same flavor, but is much more enjoyable(the 65, that is). No worries on making an articulate review. It sucks will work just fine.

Yeah, it was tough but I gave it my best. Even still, I wanted to give it a fair shake, hence the more thoughtful review. I needed something to compare my anticipated loot to. Lootto. Sounds like a Lucas character.

I come to this with mild curiousity having noticed that another website had rated it highly (8th). How am I to think of this? I like my Pernot and Kûbler but remain open open to others since I am relatively new to the absinthe world.

While we would all tend agree that Grune Fee is not absinthe, we seem to be divided on:

Is it bitter lemony-minty undrinkable mouthwash?

or

Is it bitter cinnamon-banana undrinkable mouthwash?

Can we not all get along, and call it lemony-banana-cinnamony-minty undrinkable mouthwash? :twitchsmile:

Granted, some of the products we call "crapsinth" here might work as an odd bitter spirit or mixer.

-- but on principle I won't ever buy any of them.

They mislead the customer.

They ruin potential customers for real absinthe producers.

Exactly Songcatcher.

Even crummy brands that are now trying to do right don't get a pass from me. Mislead the public for 8 years and you want me to sing praises over just a switch to natural (usually still an extract) coloring?

No.