Hi

This may have already been covered before but I thought I might open a thread about absinthe in Canada. I understand that you can get it in some provinces but not others. Is this correct. What can anyone tell me about what is available in B.C.?

Thanks for your replies.

a raitano

Hi

This may have already been covered before but I thought I might open a thread about absinthe in Canada. I understand that you can get it in some provinces but not others. Is this correct. What can anyone tell me about what is available in B.C.?

Thanks for your replies.

a raitano

Hello

You can buy Absinth in all BC liquore stores. Hill's or Green Tree are fine examples. It's the real thing. Many people here will try and convince you that it is not but that is because they sell their own Absinth and they are having problems selling it so they like to discredit the competion.

Tom

You might want to try http://absinthecanada.hosted-forum.com/ as well.

Being from B.C. myself, my first Absinthes were Hill's and Green Tree, we really have few other choices.

Unfortunately for me, I really didn't like any of the available choices that much.

I then discovered that there are many other choices in the world if you can just get them. I then tried Un Emile 68 that I ordered online and I like it instead.

I will give this advice: Try Hills and/or Green Tree first. Even do the fire thing, but don't burn your house down. If you like the taste, you are lucky because nothing else is really available.

If you don't, you're easiest choice is to go to the only place current delivering to Canada, but if it is found out it will be destroyed or sent back at your expense, but I have had no problem just yet.

Fine Spirits Corner

After some research into many different reviews I tried and liked these ones:

Clandestine 53%

Swiss Absinthe Duplais 72%

Absinthe Eichelberger Limitée

Absinthe Montmartre

You can be influenced by the preferences here in your first choices, but only you're personal taste will let you know what it is you actually prefer.

Try the Hill's, sure, but don't stop there, even if you do like the taste. Make sure you compare it to at least one of the absinthes that monkeycurious has recommended. Then you'll understand why so many of us insist that Hill's is not a real absinthe.

And no, I do not sell my own absinthe but if that is the excuse you need to come up with Hill, in order to understand why anybody would "discredit the competition", go right ahead.

Hello

Many people here will try and convince you that it is not but that is because they sell their own Absinth and they are having problems selling it so they like to discredit the competion.

Okay, folks...

Who's been holdin' out on me, and where are the "goods"?

Hell, I may even return to the fold, and start tipplin' again! :yahoo:

You can buy Absinth in all BC liquore stores. Hill's or Green Tree are fine examples. It's the real thing. Many people here will try and convince you that it is not but that is because they sell their own Absinth and they are having problems selling it so they like to discredit the competion.

Tom, I thought we were trying to keep it clean in here. That's just being underhanded. When someone asks a question about buying absinthe, we try to give good advice, not spin. Please do some searching around the threads to see what we mean.

Acting like that is a surefire way to turn people against you.

And remember: Absinthe is NOT the same as Absinth.

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

a raitano

Hello

Tom

OK, I'll say it. Hills is utter crap, shit, cacca, doodoo, merde. It is NOT absinthe. It is not even a poor aproximation of absinthe. It is some poorly rectified vodka with steam-distilled flavour oils and shitty artificial colouring. Don't waste your money.

Hill's or Green Tree fine examples? Yeah, of what booze is not absinthe.

Compared to the Green Tree Absinth, Hill's tastes like PF 1914.

I can stomach Hills, but 'taint absinthe, and when presented with options, it would be the last I'd pick (unless the other option was Green Tree or Staro).

I can respect it for being a liquor (about as much as I respect Banker's Club or something similar), but not for being an absinthe.

Here's what some Hill's customers had to say:

http://www.alandia.de/absinthe/product_inf...nthe-Hills.html

Oh, and this is something I find interesting. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't La Fee Bohemian either basically or exactly the same thing as Hill's? It sure costs more:

http://www.alandia.de/absinthe/product_inf...e-Bohemian.html

On a somewhat related note (as in Canada), did FSC get rid of the Czechsinth or did they never sell it?

As long as I've been a customer, FSC has never had any Czechsinth. I could be wrong, but I don't believe they've ever sold it. Just lots of star anise-heavy Absenta (alongside the good stuff ,which is steadily improving). Though, the cannabis-sinthe might as well be Czechsinthe.

Many people here will try and convince you that it is not but that is because they sell their own Absinth and they are having problems selling it so they like to discredit the competion.
Search members for merchants. There are 10 of us here; now make that 11 to include Tom. Tom is one of the few to sell "absinth:" most of the merchants only sell "absinthe."

The only problems we have in selling is to some parts of Canada: several of the Liquor Boards have been convinced (somehow) that they should only sell absinth/e with 1 mg/kg of thujone (or less). Which makes it difficult for some of us. Add to the Liquor Board's confusion the fact that shipping to Canada by courier is difficult and you end up with the following options:-

1. The small selection currently available in the Liquor Board stores.

2. Fine Spirits Corner.

3. Get a friend over the US border to get you some and go see him to collect.

I gather that Tom is doing that next weekend! :devil:

Many people here will try and convince you that it is not but that is because they sell their own Absinth.
Tom, please don't start this crap again. It has nothing to do with trying to sell absinthe and you know it. But that's exactly what you just did.

Just how many is many? Are there many people selling absinthe here? There are only a few sellers here and they never stoop to that kind of stunt; it's really very low-brow and certainly not worthy of a professional. Why would you use this board to pull that kind of shit? Are you trying to permanently ruin your company's and family's image? I thought we got somewhere last night?

Peridot: the La Fée Bohemian was developed by La Fée to fill the niche left when Hill's and La Fée got a divorce.

now make that 11 to include Tom
Thanks for the reminder. :cheers:

I just need to interject that FSC came through for me beautifully when I was in Montreal last fall. (And Stomp allayed any fears I had about ordering. :wave2: )

Peridot: the La Fée Bohemian was developed by La Fée to fill the niche left when Hill's and La Fée got a divorce.
To get a divorce, you have to get married first. :devil: :devil: :devil:

As long as I've been a customer, FSC has never had any Czechsinth. I could be wrong, but I don't believe they've ever sold it. Just lots of star anise-heavy Absenta (alongside the good stuff ,which is steadily improving). Though, the cannabis-sinthe might as well be Czechsinthe.

Ah, okay. I've never ordered from them but I thought I saw Czechsinth there before.

And Hiram, thanks for explaining that about La Fee Bohemian.

Hill's or Green Tree are fine examples. It's the real thing. Many people here will try and convince you that it is not but that is because they sell their own Absinth and they are having problems selling it so they like to discredit the competion.

Tom

Isn't that your reason for stirring up shit around here? Your family's company is starting to loose business now that people are becoming better informed about absinthe and how quality absinthe really tastes.

The problem is that our Absinth has a high alcohol percentage like Absinth should have and for some reason people feel like they have to drink our Absinth straight. Then they think it tastes too strong and don't like it. At least I don't say that drinking your Absinth is like anal sex as does Alan on other forums. Note link http://groups.myspace.com/realabsinthe Alan used to work with Czech Absinth now he puts it down, after he was fired! Alot of people are very rude on this forum and have been for years. Wormwood Society is connected with Jade Liqueres so obviously they will put our products down beause their sales are a problem especailly with Czech Absinth being sold around the globe. This is the main reason for their hostility and rudness towards Czech Absinth. If your Absinth is so much better whay don't you just sell it on your own merrits? No other distillers of alcohol do this on the internet or anywhere. They just sell on account of their own quality and leave the rest alone. Anyone who bashes another product, especailly when they are trying and I stress trying to sell their own shows alternate motives and should be disregarded. On with the bashing!

Ok lets add,

"Many people here... sell their own Absinth"

"Wormwood Society is connected with Jade Liqueres"

To the list of things you need to provide a source or evidence for (I'm going to guess evidence can't be provided for these either). Who is attacking and making false claims about who exactly?

At least I don't say that drinking your Absinth is like anal sex as does Alan on other forums. Note link http://groups.myspace.com/realabsinthe Alan used to work with Czech Absinth now he puts it down, after he was fired!
Tom, please check the thread on MySpace. I didn't make the comparison to anal sex: that was made by Pat and I didn't see the need to censor it. It's called freedom of speech.

Fired? Not true. I left on good terms and maintain them. FWIW, I had a meeting with George Rowley (Managing Director of La Fee/eAbsinthe*) today at the London Wine Fair and we had a very good civil discussion. We are working together in a couple of areas and I see no reason why that should reduce in future. Quite the reverse.

Your comments are ad hominem attacks, which, IMO, do not help with the discussion.*

Tom, I'm disappointed. I've praised your website here; I've stated that Hill's do NOT hype thujone or make aphrodisiac suggestions about your product. I have been a lot more civil than many in the debate on this forum and tried to keep things as friendly as possible, both publicly and in PM's. So to blow your top over something I didn't say (the anal sex reference) is not called for.

*Edited to clarify who George Rowley is and to add "ad hominem" link.

Wormwood Society is connected with Jade Liqueres so obviously they will put our products down beause their sales are a problem especailly with Czech Absinth being sold around the globe. On with the bashing!

Are you SERIOUS?!?!?!? There are more than a handful of distillers ans producers of different brands that are members of this site. You totally got that one wrong, bud.

If your Absinth is so much better whay don't you just sell it on your own merrits?
I would think that producers of French and Swiss absinthes that market themselves as such are selling on their merits much more than a company that makes a product that isn't at all like French or Swiss absinthe but aligns itself with it's history does.

You're sounding more and more hypocritical with these statements.

Anyone who bashes another product, especailly when they are trying and I stress trying to sell their own shows alternate motives and should be disregarded.

Again, you're being hypocritical. You're doing the same thing, so following your logic, you should be disregarded.

The problem is that our Absinth has a high alcohol percentage like Absinth should have and for some reason people feel like they have to drink our Absinth straight.

I have a bottle of La Capricieuse in the other room, which is both absinthe and clocks in at 72% alcohol. Is that considered weak?

I think that if your absinth louched it would help encourage dilution. ;)

At least I don't say that drinking your Absinth is like anal sex as does Alan on other forums.

You must not have seen the hilarious anal sex thread in which we discuss how much we all like it.

Alan used to work with Czech Absinth now he puts it down, after he was fired! Alot of people are very rude on this forum and have been for years.

Yes, if you want civility, you should try other forums. :laf:

Wormwood Society is connected with Jade Liqueres so obviously they will put our products down beause their sales are a problem especailly with Czech Absinth being sold around the globe.

Awesome! Hiram, what's my employee discount code? I knew I was paying too much for that sampler.

Hill: calm down, let's all be friends! Regardless of whatever Alan did in the past, it was certainly long before I showed up and he's certainly a cool guy now. There's a message in that for all of us.

Tom, I don't think that anyone here who has made the mistake of drinking Hill's has made the mistake of drinking it straight and thus disparages it for tasting too strong. The problem is that it tastes wrong for a traditional absinthe, and thus earns disparaging comments. And, personally speaking, I'm a lot less judgmental about anal sex than I am about absinthe, so if you were trying to get me to read Alan's blog with that comment it almost worked. But not quite. The rest of your emotional outburst has been addressed. Your accusations are unfounded.

Maybe if you had a pleasant beverage to sip you wouldn't get hot under the collar so much.

On with the bashing!

Hill, do you realize that the majority of the bashing you've received has come AFTER you started acting out of line?

Maybe you can control your own fate by behaving, and being respectful to the people who've been here a helluva lot longer than you have.

Hill,

The only connection with Jade Liqueres in the Ted is a member here.

As for selling on there own merits - Ted has gone on recorded talking about absinthe and saying that it is safe, and selling his absinthe, but that is a hell of a lot less marketing than most do. He lets the fact that he make good, traditionally accurate absinthe sell itself.

Edited by scaper8

Overboard, I say. Into the drink.

One member less, as in.

Oh, and I don't know a damn thing about absinthe in B.C. Sorry.

Not to get off topic but I am taking it that there is, in this forums opinion, certain company excluded, no Absinthe to be had in the B.C. area?

Unless that dude in the interior gets off his ass and markets his blanche and verte (and it's any good), there isn't. I think he's in the interior, I can't remember.

I have hopes, though.

Wormwood Society is connected with Jade Liqueres so obviously they will put our products down beause their sales are a problem especailly with Czech Absinth being sold around the globe. This is the main reason for their hostility and rudness towards Czech Absinth.

I've stayed out of this discussion for the most part simply because there are a lot of other people making basically the same points I would have made, but I draw my line here. This is, without question, untrue. I'm going to give Hill the benefit of the doubt and assume it's not an outright lie, but it is certainly an untruth. The fact of the matter is that, while members of LDF show up at this site (and rarely), we are by no means shilling for them. Point of fact, if you bother to check the absinthe reviews, you'll find plenty of us expressing disappointment at the Jades.

The main reason for our dislike of Czech absinth, as others have said, is that it doesn't taste good. End of story. And, hey, maybe Hill's is the exception. Hopefully I'll find out soon. But the rest of them, man are they vile. End of story.

Alot of people are very rude on this forum

You're currently doing a fine job of topping that list. The rest of us have been civil--more than--and you have responded by insulting our country, our motives, and our intelligence. And to top it, Hiram had the kindness and the good faith to invite you to his house and you respond by spreading this disingenuous crap on his own forum? We've flushed people from this forum for less than that. As far as I'm concerned, you've more than earned that same treatment.