Did Markus ever say ahead of time what any of the prototypes would lead to? I believe that's part of the point of prototypes.

That's what I always thought until MM disabused me of that notion. :rolleyes:

Just ordered a bottle as well (my first prototype); also ordered the 1 liter Balance & the Brevans; I can't wait. :cheers:

It seems obvious that prototypes, named or numbered in succession, is an ongoing development to an end goal.
I don't think that's obvious at all. In fact, quite the contrary. Several final—and unrelated—products have resulted from the prototypes. I always just assumed that they were merely numbered in succession as a convenient nomenclature.
If the tweaking took 31 batches to finally create Brevans, what is #33? What direction is that one going? Or is it not going in any direction but starting all over and picking up with #33? And was there a #32? Was Brevans intended as the final product when they started with prototype #1?
Was there a #1? Was there a #23? The first I recall was—I believe—#29. Assumptions = Ass + umptions. And, ultimately, who gives a crap and does it matter and is it anyone's business until Markus makes it so? Maybe #32 is still in progress. Jeez.

Strangely enough, there was a Prototype 23. I remember it only because it was my first prototype. However, the pleasure of the prototype(s) is the process as much as the product. I don't know if P23 ever turned into anything commercial but it couldn't matter less. An artist gave us a chance to sample either an experiment or a work in progress. How cool is that?

Maggie reminds me to enjoy the journey, not only the destination.

Actually we (Oliver Matter and me) started experimenting in June 2005. We tryed out several Duplais formulas and it turned out to be most convinient to number the different versions.

One day I thought it would be a good idea to get some feedback from customers, so we started offering Prototypes.

Not each Prototype makes it to a final product and not each number between 23 and 33 was released as a Prototype.

The first one was #23. Reactions were good and interesting, because when you're developing a product you lose objectivity after a while and it's very helpful to see what 'outsiders' think about it.

I have the impression that Prototypes become collectors items since a while and less people give feedback. This is not what we intend. Therefore I'd like to encourage everybody giving feedback - otherwise it doesn't make much sense offering Prototypes.

I love the idea of soliciting feedback from customers with the prototypes. You can't get much closer to your customers than that. Like T73 said: How cool is that?!?!

Now if we could just get those people over in Scotland to do the same with their libations. B)

Given the leadtimes to produce an 18 year old single malt, it is going to take a long time for the Scottish to respond to your comments.

More seriously, should the other absinthe distillers (e.g. Claude-Alain) be considering offering his "prototypes" in a similar way?

I'm sure Markus is the only one that can tell you if marketing the prototypes are worth the hassle or not. Looking at the excitement generated with the releases, I think it's safe to say that most of us here appreciate the opportunity to sample a distiller's craft. If our little corner was glutted with new tastes, some of that enthusiasm might diminish but with the reputation and regard for Claude-Alain's skill, I suspect many of us would welcome an opportunity to have a sip of his experiments.

But what do I know? I'm just happy to see that my shoes match when I leave the house in the morning.

Given the leadtimes to produce an 18 year old single malt, it is going to take a long time for the Scottish to respond to your comments.

Go ahead, rain on my parade, whydoncha. :tongue:

I like the prototypes. Like T73 says, we get a preview. If all goes well, we get a tweaked final version.

Although, I really doubt, given this group, there will ever be a final version of Absinthe. Just improvements.

The whole process works for me. :devil:

:cheers:

I like the idea that I am encouraged to drink it NOW. The thought of saving it until it reaches "maturity" only to find it has increased in value... "Don't drink that, you fool! It's collectible!!" Well, that way lies madness. How about if I save the empty bottle?

Speaking of feedback, though, being a n00b, what is the best way to do this? My bottle has not arrived yet, but I assume the makers would prefer useful information... is there some form of score card, or specific questions that are asked with each prototype? Being new to absinthe with the palette to match, some structure would be reassuring if feedback was requested. Of course maybe all the feedback they need is how well the each Prototype sells.

Selling prototypes is a solid idea. Many here are recommending Brevans as a top-notch CO without ever having tasted it. Only the prototype. Hard to generate that kind of informed advance hubbub any other way.

... is there some form of score card, or specific questions that are asked with each prototype?

I think they are working on one here at the WS, if it hasn't already been developed. Regardless, until I get one from here, I tend to use the tasting sheet from FV. It provides some good guidelines.

:cheers:

I'm usually a little out to lunch but I don't recall a Newcomer Intro for Snyder. I backtracked a little to see if I simply forgot (gotta make proper welcomes!) but I'll be damned if I can find that thread. Maybe it was in the wrong area? Maybe Snyder forgot to do his intro?

Pardon me if my impolite slip is showing but if I'm right, please introduce yourself. ;)

Prototypes are not there to make quick bucks - maybe more to cover the costs for all the try'n error before. You have to know that a Prototype is an already half developed product. Once I gave a first try to a customer as a favour and he completely misunderstood the whole thing - this made clear that at least a few 'essais' have to be done before releasing a Prototype. There were Prototypes which were sold out after 12 hours, others last 2 weeks. To me this has nothing to do with success - how could it? Nobody knows the product... otherwise Prototype 33 would have been sold out immediately ;)

@Alan

do you think that copying an already existing method makes you or CAB look serious? Don't get me wrong - nothing against Clandestine and CAB, but business is about creating own ideas - that's what I learned in the past 7 years.

I'm just happy to see that my shoes match when I leave the house in the morning.
I'm happy just to still be able to grab my laces.

For me, the Prototypes have always been about the sheer value they represent. It's a win-win situation. Markus gets his feedback and we get great absinthe at a fair price.

I placed my order Tuesday night and it arrived this moring, with a little sample of the Duplais Verte no less; Markus is the man. :cheers: Now I just have to make it through the rest of work before I can try the P33.

I just got my order today, also, and will have friends over this weekend to try it. I also got my taster bottle of Serpis and a free little Duplais. Thanks Markus! Love those Freebies! The Serpis was wrapped in a newspaper advertisement for packing. I am not sure about the rest of you, but I always find newspapers from other parts of the planet or country fascinating. At airports I always have to buy a local paper, and I love when some eBay purchase is wrapped in a local paper. So I start reading this advertisement from Germany. It seems strangely familiar, and not in a good way. I tell my wife "this looks like a German WalMart!" (half joking). The store is named "Real" and on the last page I spot the WalMart logo.

I did a little research, and, well, what goes around comes around.

I'm jealous you got some serpis, not that I am complaining, I just want to try the famed "Slerpis" someday. Oh well I'll make sure to buy a sample with the next order.

...I'd like to encourage everybody giving feedback - otherwise it doesn't make much sense offering Prototypes.
I assume that "feedback" is taken via the "Product Review" on the website?

http://www.absinthvertrieb.de/en/shop/auth...e-prototype-33/

(Is there a reason I think I'm the first one to post a link to the product being discussed in this thread?)

Seeing that there are NO reviews provided yet, and that several of now have a bottle (or two), that makes us all seem pretty lame. :->

If I can sit down and do a serious tasting of it tonight, I'll try to post something, otherwise it will have to wait until I get back from the London Bar Show... (hint, hint... guess who's taking a trip! :-)

I just post my thoughts here instead.

Which I haven't done in this thread, though I did in "What ya drinking tonight." Since I don't feel like looking it up...

It's very tasty. The flavour is really strong so I dilute it just a little more than usual. Very potent wormwood. Colour looks like it's augmented with artificial additives because of the blue-green tint (especially after louche) and the unusually small amount of sediment compared to other products from that distillery.

I just louched up a glass... I like it a lot. It definitely has something that stands out in the taste, I'm not really knowledgeable enough to say what that is, but that "something" gives it a distinctive character. I'm not sure that I agree with Peridot on the color though, it looks pretty natural to me (although I'd trust his opinion over mine).

Here are some quick pictures I took:

post-414-1180744952_thumb.jpg

post-414-1180745066_thumb.jpg

Just tried adding a review to the site, but the "write a review" link just kept on doing nothing... must be a browser compat issue or something...

So here are my comments.

Beautiful "light Chartreuseish" green coloring. Louche was solid, and with a definate green cast. Flavor held multiple complexities, but perhaps a little "crisper" then I might prefer. But full of good character and dimension.

Thank you, I'll have another.

-Robert