shinsain

Growing Wormwood

My A.a. plants in my planter boxes never came back this spring. I'm not sure what happened. However, I just noticed they must have left a few seeds behind.

post-1255-1212198801_thumb.jpg

ah, i'm growing a garden too. I made more space to put in Grande Absinthe, Pontica and Hyssop but i cant find Pontica seeds anywhere. I waited to be able to get all three at the same time but now its getting late. If anyone knows a place where i can get Pontica you can PM me.

Right now i have Melissa, Mint, Angelica and Roman Chamomille. I'll put pictures once i am done.

If I find the website, I'll PM you the place that sells A.p. seeds. It's in New Jersey, as I recall.

Sprouting pontica by seed is difficult and the seeds are expensive. Not impossible but I don't want you to get your hopes up. :cheers:

I have attempted to grow pontica twice and I've failed miserably. We saw a nice patch last year and when we saw it again this year it was nearly wiped out due to too much water. I would like to try again.

Good luck!

We gave our pontica babies their own little bed and lots of love. They seem very happy.

They look delicate but I think they are just trying to fool us by looking cute.

They certainly seem to have done a nice job repelling competing grass.

I work on a permaculture farm and we use wormwood as a natural insect repeller we are certified bio so we cant use insecticide. I grew the plants from the seeds but pontica looks like its a whole differant story. I hope i can make it right.

Looking for pontica plant(s). My nursery had some sort of fubar and all of theirs died. It is a little late for seeds (and we haven't had any luck with that so far), so I was looking for starter plants. Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

I have some seeds on order, fortunately I live in a location where things grow year round. But I haven't had any luck finding small plants for order.

One of the plants had flopped into a neighbors garden, so I hacked it down a bit early.

Am now drying the stems and leaves in my office in the basement.

Wormwood air freshener, anyone?

Aside from the added benefit of tripping ballz every time I use the computer, I just keep thinking to myself: You know I could really use an Absinthe.

~Erik

I thought drying wormwood in your office was kind of like wearing the patch. You know, to satisfy your urge when you can't indulge in the real thing.

I think it is an incredibly glorious aroma. Almost daily, I crush a few leaves between my fingers and inhale that delicious fragrance.

And I stopped biting my nails, too.

I found some small Florence Fennel plants at a local garden store, and after some overly melodramatic wilting the first day after planting (I mean come on this is SoCal how bad could the transplant be?) they are now perking up. What can I expect them to do? Do they eventually go to seed and get all feral looking?

There are fennel plants all over my dog walk route thru industril funky G-town. I thought it was dill and grabbed a lil bit and crushed it up, thinking I was gonna smell the smell of the cucumber Soup I had as a kid and loved. I got slapped right across the face with the Smell of Freshness and had to address the Urge upon returning. Now that I recognize it I see it everywhere, in junkyards and vacant lots all over the neighborhood.

Now to act as Johnny Wormwoodseed........ :devil:

I make a killer fennel and green apple salad with a citrus dressing. Basically you shave the fennel bulb on a mandolin, cut the apple into matchsticks, throw in some ricotta salata cheese (not to be confused with the ricotta that comes in a tub, you could also sub shaved parmesan or feta), and add a dressing of olive oil, minced shallot, a few spoons of Dijon mustard, fresh squeezed OJ, a little lemon juice, orange and lemon zest, salt and pepper. I often make it as a side dish, but often wish I could just eat a whole mound of the salad by itself. Garnish the top with the fennel fronds and you're all set!

Unfortunately I've planted them in the ground, which where I live is not particularly a good idea for anything you want to eat. Their primary purpose is illustrative reference anyway. Do they eventually die or will they just keep growing?

I believe Fennel is perennial in USDA Zones 4a-9a.

Getting it to produce the bulbs can be a bit tricky, but it is a (big) pretty plant with sprays of feather-like leaves and clouds of flat yellow flowers. Lots of butterflies and caterpillars feed on them.

Self seeds like the dickens, though, if you don't dead head.

~Erik

I don't know whether they'll act as an annual where you live, or a biennial. But they'll flower and produce seeds. Probably not this year, but next year. Then that plant dies to make way for the new generation. Assuming the heat doesn't kill 'em.

btw, if you got smallish seedlings from the nursery, you got to wait until the bulb gets big before eating them.

Whoops! ellejest beat me to it.