shinsain

Growing Wormwood

Hyssop, likewise:

[...]

Melissa:

[...]

Oh, hey, I like Hyssop and Melissa a lot.

Though, you have to watch that pesky Lemon Balm. Not only spreads by runners; but, self-seeds as well.

Anyhoozle, a fun thing to do, since Melissa typically gets pretty big and out of control, is to cut a big handful of stems, wash 'em, and throw them on the grill still a bit wet, and then drop some sort of fish on top. If it's salmon, maybe throw some fresh tarragon sprigs on top of the fish. Tarragon and Salmon are particularly tasty together!

~Erik

Sounds great! As you can see, the Melissa is planted in a narrow bed. It's completely surrounded by cement sidewalk, although I have seen other mints send very long runners under sidewalks to pop up on the other side!

Wow, who'd have thunk you folks are a bunch of degenerates like me. HA.

Anyway, we (by "we" I of course mean my wife...) ordered our AA seeds a month ago from the same vendor we got them from last year and have been fighting getting them here for that whole time. For two or three weeks it was "Honey, did you ever check on those seeds? You know, we're only in New Jersey, and they shipped from New York..." Then finally she sent an email, to which she never received a reply -- and wouldn't you know it, randomly one day a "your order has been shipped" email was sent.

That was a week or so ago.

We still have no damn Wormwood.

Hiram, I'm in Seattle visiting family, could I pick up a start from you? :laugh: Maybe I'm not destined to grow our fabled and loved A. Absinthium.

Aaron

Dammit! I have been growing Powis Castle instead of the real thing. Anyone have about ten seeds of the real stuff you could send me? I'll pay for shipping and whatnot.

Those who know the types of absinthe, can you look at these and tell me what it is?

First Photo

Second photo.

Third photo - color off a bit - leaves not as shiny as in picture.

And the last one.

Please let me know what you think. I planted late last year and its come up this year, strong growth, likes its spot but looks NOTHING like the other pictures you guys posted.

Edited by snyder

I'm not a botanist but I played one on TV.

Not Powis Castle, I believe. I suspect it's A.a. but there are certainly varieties I'm not familiar with. That said, I am an authority on technical theatre only.

It's a toss-up. I'm with Verte, definitely an Artemisia. Looking at the close ups, I was going to say absinthium, but in the picture with the sandal, it looks like the scale of the leaves is too small and fine. I'm going to say it's Powis Castle. If it's absinthium, it should start to send up some flowering stalks before long. If it grows more bushy and tree-like, it's PC.

Hiram, can you take a look at some of the pictures I posted? Not sure what I have.
I agree with the Drs. I'm leaning toward PC, just because that's what's most commonly available and most commonly mistaken for absinthium.

Did it come with a tag?

It's a toss-up. I'm with Verte, definitely an Artemisia. Looking at the closeflying monkeys, I was going to say absinthium, but in the picture with the sandal, it looks like the scale of the leaves is too small and fine. I'm going to say it's Powis Castle. If it's absinthium, it should start to send up some flowering stalks before long. If it grows more bushy and tree-like, it's PC.

I should add that I wear a size 15 shoe. A lot of things look smaller next to my feet.

Did it come with a tag?

No, I bought it from ebay.fr early last year.

It looks like the PC I had a few years ago. Mine got to less than two feet tall and no bigger. It was also slower growing than AA from what I have seen.

Where I live it grows wild.

For miles and miles. Wormwood as far as the eye can see!

Where is this?

I haven't seen any here. Of course, I haven't looked for it . I do remember mowing and smelling a familiar scent, but the plans were gone by the time I smelled them.

I guess I will have to take a look around.

LeRoy, try looking along railroad tracks. For some reason I almost always see A. Absinthium around them. Maybe it's all the sand and gravel that tends to be around; I think that wormwood likes sandy soil.

It looks like the PC I had a few years ago. Mine got to less than two feet tall and no bigger. It was also slower growing than AA from what I have seen.

I've never seen the PC, so I can't make any judgements, but what Gimp says here reminds me of the difference between my 1st year, establishing AA plants, which are slower, thinner and generally more meager than my older, established plants which are going gang-busters.

LeRoy, try looking along railroad tracks. For some reason I almost always see A. Absinthium around them. Maybe it's all the sand and gravel that tends to be around; I think that wormwood likes sandy soil.

Thanks, Selmac

I do have quite a few plants along the roads and in some of the cow pastures. Actually, I have a couple small plants in my back yard. I assumed they were the PC.

Oh, and keep your nose alert, too. In Montana, the county does lots of spraying for noxious weeds. You wouldn't want to get sick from picking A.a. ;)

I happen to take a look tonight and my A.a. has grown about 4 inches today. Almost to my knee with lots of vertical growth and larger leaves. I think it was just taking its sweet time starting. It's the first full year for this one. :yahoo:

Hiram: thanks for the offer! Truly appriciate the generosity!

Edited by snyder

I have a couple of questions. On my walk through a DE park today I found many of what looked to be A.a but the main stems were brown and when I chewed on it it wasn't that bitter. However everything else looked exactly the same, except it wasnt any shade of silver, just plain green. Also say one were to use Powis Castle instead of A.a wormwood, would this be ok? Like if they did it by accident?

thanks guys, I will send pics tomorrow of it.

Most wormwood sold at garden centers is actually Powis Castle and not Artemisia Absinthium. You're not going to see any flowers on it if it is. But, it looks pretty and smells nice when you rub the leaves.

FWIW, my Powis Castle bloomed up a storm this year. Here is a pic of it hanging in my garage, drying:

post-97-1188366969_thumb.jpg

Whether it would be worth using in absinthe production is for someone else to say. Most of what I've read suggests the scent/taste profile is too different from A.a. to be worth using. Sure smells good though.