Sign in to follow this  
Mayzandas

Pontarlier carafe

I assume most of the people in this forum are familiar with the Charles Maire poster for Pernod Fils:

post-1354-1179417482_thumb.jpg

It seems there are a few companies making reproductions of the glass. Is anyone aware of a reproduction of the carafe? I think it would look so nice having a matching carafe!

Except that it's more of a stopper'd bottle than it is what I'd call a carafe. Thus a difficult proposition to load with ice. Although they are always ways to get thoroughly chilled water into the vessel. Interesting thought, never-the-less.

Throw a few ounces of water in the bottom then stick it in the freezer for a few hours. Take it out of the freezer, and add fresh water on top of the newly formed ice. Viola! :cheers:

Do those things really work? I wondered if the ice would slide toward the neck of a bottle when pouring

and create a log jam of sorts... or worse, shoot down your throat when you were taking a drink from the bottle!

"Gak! I'm choking! Quick, get the hair dryer!!"

I'd like a reproduction of that carafe. I got Lyonnaise glasses and matching carafe from some dude on eBay. It's nice that they match, but they're terrible crap. Matching terrible crap.

I love matching sets. What can I say? :)

Except that it's more of a stopper'd bottle than it is what I'd call a carafe.

Correct, and it is a liquor carafe, nicer than the usual water carafe to Charles Maire eyes though.

I found some similar ones that are made. Lead crystal. These are just my personal preference - not perfect imitations:

I like this one and it's pretty close.

Interesting. I could see that on the table next to the Pontarlier glasses. But other posters in this thread have pointed out the difference between a "decanter" and a "carafe" (I'm a newbie at this) and I've decided I'll probably go with something I can drop ice cubes into.

Thanks for the links, though!

Try a Brouille instead of a carafe.

Now, if someone would reproduce a dogleg icewater carafe, with the proper small hole...

It does look like a computer generated watercolor-like effect to me. My guess would be that it could be done with Photoshop and a tablet, but I don't really know squat about using computers for drawing. I've only seen and admired what others can do with it.

Sorry I didn't notice the questions or responses to that drawing earlier.

Gertz is right. I sketched it in about ten minutes on my tablet, working in photoshop only. It's just a 'see what I mean?' drawing.

I have used Painter for more realistic watercolor effects, as well as oil simulation, pastel, etc. But that program's hard to drive, and I only really bother with it when I need something to look great.