Sign in to follow this  
britgeekgrrl

"Antique" absinthe spoons?

I was cheerfully cruising ebay, as is my wont, and came across the following: "vintage" absinthe spoons.

I don't know enough to tell the real deal from an enthusiastically battered modern replica.

I don't suppose y'all would be willing to cast your eyeballs over the offerings and let me know if a) any of them are worth bidding on and B) what a person can look out for to tell genuine vintage from merely 'five years old but beaten up'?

Thanks!

- Johanna

Proceed with caution, J. .Forgeries are thick on the ground.

Years ago, it wasn't hard to find authentic antiques on eBay. I finally stopped looking after I got burned for seventy-five bucks. Since then, I've bought all my old stuff from Oxy.

Well, considering Salome23 thanks Oxy for helping identify and value the spoons and the claim is that they are being sold to help pay for Kallisti to get to Boveresse I'd be pretty confident they're legit. And being sold for a good cause.

Well, considering Salome23 thanks Oxy for helping identify and value the spoons and the claim is that they are being sold to help pay for Kallisti to get to Boveresse I'd be pretty confident they're legit.
Apologies.....hadn't bothered to check them out. However, as a general rule, it pays to be careful.

If you guys are vouching for the seller, that's enough for me. :yahoo: Yay for small-ish communities for this sort of thing.

And yeah, I'm sure that ebay is riddled with forgeries and foolishness, hence my making the post here.

Alas, it's not like I can afford to get the whole slew (I've got sci-fi whackiness to pay for this month) but I think the budget can stretch to one of 'em - assuming y'all haven't beaten me to 'em.

- Johanna

PS - despite my mad, desperate desire to splurge, I've treated myself to *one* spoon. Every collection starts somewhere, right? ;)