Rabelais

Jade distillers proof - Absinthe Edouard

I flashed back to every other order I've placed, and the nonchalant manner in which I told my other (once there's no way in hell that that shipment wasn't already on this end of the Atlantic)... so I felt bad and put it past her first. Stupid idea. Why can't I be single like G&C?

I'm single, but I'm also broke.

The parental units also don't approve of my absinthe drinking habit. So I can scratch them as a loan source.

Time to open a credit card.

... and she said "Are you out of your mind???  $143.51 for a bottle of frog juice???

Grim: "... But hon-eeeeeeee.  I neeeeed it.  :dribble:  "

Where were you? I didn't see you...

Actually, I always low-ball it

"It's... like... about a hundred bucks."

Too bad we don't have a BS emoticon.

I will be visiting Pontarlier, France in a few weeks (in conjunction with other business in the Alsace region) and I'm just wondering if there is any chance this will be available at any retail establishment in that area or is this an exclusive deal with this distributor?

Just curious about what is available in retail establishments (other than what is produced by the distilleries there) in that area if anyone can shed light on this I'd appreciate it.

Where were you?  I didn't see you...

Well it is about a hundred bucks. For the bottle. Shipping is a different story, and as long as she didn't specifically ask about it, it's not exactly BS. There's a fine line between lying and not telling the truth.

I will be visiting Pontarlier, France in a few weeks (in conjunction with other business in the Alsace region) and I'm just wondering if there is any chance this will be available at any retail establishment in that area or is this an exclusive deal with this distributor?

Just curious about what is available in retail establishments (other than what is produced by the distilleries there) in that area if anyone can shed light on this I'd appreciate it.

I would go to the Jade website (www.bestabsinthe.com) and click on the email link and ask Ted yourself.

More & more people post to the forums questions they should direct to the maker or distributer.

I can't help but wonder, why?

Does one generally ask the guy next door when the car dealer down the block is getting the next delivery of cars?

Call the dealer and get straight scoop. Ask the guy next door and get whatever the dog left on his lawn.

Sorry, just thinking out loud.

MrGreenGenes... That would be more German. But I think they'd call it "Lutfisk" maybe. And it would taste burnt. Or... In true IKEA manner, it would probably be a "do it yourself"-kit.

ompir: I highly doubt you can get the Edouard there. First of all, it's the distillers proof. Second, the label wouldn't be legal in france, third, the bottle size probably ain't legal either. And... It took them quite a while to get the N-O out on the french market, so.... no.

If you will be in one place for 2 or 3 -working- days Absinthe distribution has Edouard advertised. Try to call or e-mail and see if there can be a scheduled ship date to your hotel address, If it arrives early and you inform the hotel to expect a package and hold it for you, most will without a problem. From Germany it would be 2 days max by courier and the courier charges would be less than that to the USA.

Otherwise in Pontarlier its easy to stop by the distilleries of FG and UE and pick up a few cases :drunk: Bring a good duffel bag for the cases......... There is a antique store on the main street that has a few different absinthes and absinthia, they may have the absinthiades spoons also (the real antiques are priced out of sight) nearby across the street there is a chocolate shop that makes absinthe bonbons with a white chocolate, very yummy.

Likewise I dont think you will find Edouard on any shelves in France for a while, the label - naming thing is the catcher, in typical European beaurocrat fashion appearance is more important than content and the need to justify ones governmental position of authority by creation of non issues that impede business flow is paramount.

in typical European beaurocrat fashion

Typical FRENCH. We don't all have those weird rules.

On the other hand, here up north we have outrageous taxes on booze, so all our savings go to the Gammel Dansk we need to wash the lutfisk down, while we walk around in our clogs.

Yeah... I usually take my clogs and get my sorry Social Security-everything-is-free-here-but-over-taxed ass and go across the bridge to buy cheap booze and beer.

Atleast the beer part was true.

I felt bad and put it past her first.  Stupid idea.  Why can't I be single like G&C?

Same shit with my ol' lady. We're saving for our wedding and I'm facing probably at least 4 months of unemployment this summer, so I can understand why she didn't take my desire to drop nearly $150 on a bottle of liquor very well. That doesn't mean I'm not going to order it, however. I'm told by women that men are by nature insensitive and prone to doing stupid things, so I see no reason to resist my nature in this case :P

Where were you?  I didn't see you...

I use the wine comparison method.

When you buy a bottle of absinthe, you don't drink it in shots, you louche it down to about 3 or 4 to 1 (I use 5 when describing, it's still a legit figure, but I usually make my drinks stronger than that). Now at that rate, you get to drink about .8-1.2 gallons of absinthe for about $90-$140. Now at that rate you would have to drink 4-6 bottles of wine to match quantity and quality "Tit for tat" (it's in quotes because the comparison of quality of absinthe to wine is a difficult thing to measure). At $15-$30 a bottle (which is about what you would pay for "quality" wine) at 4-6 bottles, that comes out to be anywhere in between $60 and $180.

Now to compensate for the difference on the low end, I usually spurn off the fact that once you open a bottle of wine, it must be drunk within a week or two. We all know this not to be true with a bottle of absinthe, which can be saved for many many many years to come, all of this without artificial additives. Furthermore, let's say you only wanted one glass of wine this month. "Well Fred I do believe you are SOL! That wine won't stay for a month you dumb fucker!" With absinthe you can have as much or as little as you want at any time you want, and it will never go bad!

Lets say they say it's not healthy for you. What do you tell them then? Well I usually look them right in the eye and say to them sternly "Where is your evidence of that? What's that? You're making wild claims without anything to back them up? Well, I do believe that's bad news for you friend, because I happen to have evidence to suggest strongly otherwise." (at this point you bring out your Barnaby Conrad book, or your Benoit Noel book, either one will do, and then point out your supportive evidence.)

It works every time.