Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Lyons

The Jade Sampler

Yesterday, the Jade sampler I ordered arrived.

Before I go on I should note that my brother and I have extremely weak palates. There could be outright tastebud hallucinations in what follows.

This was our first absinthe. We made a dose of each, an NO, VS and Eddy, and shared them all.

First observation: this smells amazing! A lot more complex than Pernod, or much of anything else we've ever smelled. First taste: it makes Pernod taste two-dimensional by comparison. There's so much going on here!

We eventually decided we liked the Nouvelle-Orléans best. It has a minty flavor. We imagined it would go well with Indian food. I read on the forum today that wormwood is reminiscent of mint, so perhaps the NO has the stronger wormwood flavor? (Help? :))

The Edouard came in second. We detected some sort of a fruity or honey flavor at the end. It doesn't begin as nicely as the NO, but it ends just as well or perhaps better, but distinctly differently.

The Suisse Verte was not our favorite. But it was really quite good! It seemed to have a strong attack but then it left us with a very floral impression. Strangely, it is the weakest alcohol-wise but felt stronger than the NO and the Ed at similar concentrations.

We tried them at many different dilutions but agreed that they really come together for us around 3:1 or 3.5:1. There were hazy, but clearer than I expected at what felt like the right concentration, particularly the NO. The SV remained the most opaque of the three at that concentration.

We were both surprised at how much the ritual seemed to bring out the bouquet and put us in the right mood to enjoy it. It occurred to me that the "secondary effects" morons talk about are probably tangible effects the arise from relaxing and staring at this glass, smelling and thinking about these flavors, and generally engaging your mind. It put me into a very introspective mood, which really enhanced watching Fellini's "8 1/2."

In another thread, I believe T73 suggested getting fresh herbs and doing an absinthe tasting while sampling the herbs to educate the palate. I think that's a brilliant idea, and one I intend to implement as soon as possible.

Heh, heh. He said I had a brilliant idea.

One of the (many) fun things about absinthe, the taste profile(s) seem to change with your mood, what you've been eating and which one you begin with. When it comes to complexity, absinthe is amazing! :cheers:

:laf: We have met you.....we know you are brilliant!

Next time I would recommend just pick one and savor and enjoy. Comparing those great choices is nearly impossible. Of course the first time we did the same thing........!

Sampling is good for the soul. I like the NO, and like you the VS was a solid third in the hierarchy of Jades for me, until Shai called it "grass in a glass". Don't know why, but that made it come alive for me. I really appreciate its relative simplicity now. Which I guess kind of leaves the Ed sinking slowly in the field of three. I almost said sinking in the swampy morass, but that's a bit harsh. Anyway, so you see even a new nickname can change the taste of an absinthe. It can suit your every mood. :cheers:

You'll probably find your preferences changing with time.

NO was my fave Jade for a long time. Now Eddie is. It'll probably change back and forth forever.

We tried them at many different dilutions but agreed that they really come together for us around 3:1 or 3.5:1. There were hazy, but clearer than I expected at what felt like the right concentration, particularly the NO. The SV remained the most opaque of the three at that concentration.
I'm assuming you mean 3 parts water to 1 part absinthe? That's odd, as I've never seen a Jade that didn't have a deep louche. Did you try going further? I find 5:1 (water:absinthe) to be about right for me these days. More water also opens up more flavor and aroma, until you start going too far, of course.

For me, NO has always had a fairly thin louche, unless I use water that's partially frozen over from keeping it in the top of my fridge.

We were both surprised at how much the ritual seemed to bring out the bouquet and put us in the right mood to enjoy it. It occurred to me that the "secondary effects" morons talk about are probably tangible effects the arise from relaxing and staring at this glass, smelling and thinking about these flavors, and generally engaging your mind.

And so it all begins.... :cheers:

Geez, you guys go right for the "top shelf!" I have not tried the Jades yet... my current fave is Duplais Verte, though I have a Duplais Blanche I have not opened. I am also about to explore some "middle shelf" suggestions (one of them by T73... again with that guy! He must have some agent!) of Kübler and a few others. I am almost afraid to try the Jades... it is like driving for the first time and having a Porsche. After that, the old PT Cruiser just won't cut it... (Actually I never would give up my Cruiser, even for a Porsche!).

So now you guys have to try some Swiss stuff! It is the birthplace of absinthe after all!

I find I like 3,4 or 5 parts water depending on the drink I want (one bottle is nicely customizable) add in sugar or no sugar and that's at least 6 different ways one bottle can be traditionally served.

The jades have always had a pretty nice louche for me too, although one key to any good louche is a freezing cold drip.

We were both surprised at how much the ritual seemed to bring out the bouquet and put us in the right mood to enjoy it. It occurred to me that the "secondary effects" morons talk about are probably tangible effects the arise from relaxing and staring at this glass, smelling and thinking about these flavors, and generally engaging your mind.

And so it all begins.... :cheers:

That's just about how I started, and I'm still trying to wean myself off onto something cheaper. Watch out guys! I dunno what to do unless I have at least two different kinds around to choose from depending on my mood, what I had for dinner, yada yada yada.

What Daniel said.

I liked the NO and the ED the most. I'm game for trying them all again though. No need to rule anything out for good yet. Yet. I'm looking forward to having the ED again. I like T73's herb idea, since I wished I knew what exactly I was tasting last night. Bluescat suggestion is also good.

Last night with my friend Michael I tried them all again, this time without sugar.

SV is definitely more fun knowing that it is a "glass of grass." :thumbup:

This time, I preferred the Eddy over the NO. For some reason, the mintiness seemed overpowering, and the Eddy seemed more balanced. The sugar seemed to be masking or interfering with the the anise flavor, somehow (Michael had it with sugar).

Excellent stuff! Looking forward to another taste.

I'm also surprised at how long these little bottles are lasting.

I ordered the 3 pack as part of my original purchase.

I preferred The Suisse.

The Eddy was ok.

The NO just had something about it I couldn't appreciate...

The 4th Absinthe in my order was La Ptite.

I liked it a lot, but I still prefer the Grass-in-a-Glass flavor.

;)

Last night with my friend Michael I tried them all again, this time without sugar.

I'm also surprised at how long these little bottles are lasting.

Oh! You got the small bottles. Don't do that again. Go BIG. Also, the products from Absinthe-Suisse we find to be really, really good.

What fun.

Agreed, but one doesn't want to spend that much if they aren't going to like it. I'm quite desperate to try the CLB but them monkeys are still in flight.

I'm piecing together the next order. It's an interesting situation because Nathan and I are consolidating our order, plus I need to have some to have around at the office, so it will wind up being a quite obscene amount of liquor dispersed into three little crannies. Well, one of them might wind up having a bit more *cough*. ;)

I started with the sampler as well. I am only on my 2nd order (this time Kübler) & I had the same thoughts (about secondary effects due to the ritual & method of savoring rather than drinking)

I may have spoiled myself by starting off on the "good stuff" but I am determined to keep sampling :cheers:

Edited by Hunnibunni

I'm so disgusted with me.

:laf: Oh, SM, you crack me up. That is something I would say. Then I would point threateningly at myself and say, "I'll show me!"