Sign in to follow this  
Hunnibunni

Ha! I did it !

I am jumping up & down with glee :yahoo:

I have finally placed another order. I have only had the three 20ml bottles I bought husband from LDF & with only one glass left in each, he has forbidden me to even open them to take in the scent.

So I spent some serious time obsessing, researching & planning and just placed my 1st official order - I ended up going with a Kübler. Now I am just mentally screaming FLY Monkeys FLY!!!!!

I had a pretty bad experience with LDF last time so I hope it was just a "fluke" on their vendors part.

I am curious to see if my love extends to other absinthes. My fav was the Jade Edouard with the Nouvelle coming in a close second and the Suisse Verte following last but their prices do not allow for me to enjoy as often & as much as I like so I hope my patience & research bodes me well. Do not for a moment misunderstand- I would GLADLY drink any of those three at any time but this girl has a budget. Tragic, I know, I had to cut into my weekly wine funds for absinthe! Imagine! having to choose!

Also brief question: I am unable to isolate the smell of the wormwood. Any suggestions, tips, or hints? When I read a review that specifies comments on the wormwood they are currently lost on me which is a shame.

Which beings me to a close: FLY Monkeys FLY!!

I always identify wormwood as this somewhat minty flavor in the profile. It's not quite like a mint would be--it's more earthy and vegetal than that--but it has a quality to it that is like mint. At least that's what I think, though I'm not the best at picking out flavors.

Don't leave us in suspense, though...what did you get?

Edit: Nevermind. I just reread your post.

I haven't had the Kübler, but plenty here speak well of it. The Jades are definitely pricey, an indulgence that can hurt. The Duplais balance is a wonderful, affordable verte. But at some point I'm going to have to try the Kübler myself. Sounds like a winner. :cheers:

The taste of wormwood is still indescribable in words for me. It's a defining bass note in absinthe. Minty yes. But no. Earthy definitely. Earthy and floral. Floral in a minty way. Best may be to start with identifying other herbal notes and reaching wormwood by elimination of other known/learned components. Or maybe not. It's distinctive but not easily comparable to anything else. Hard to get at through words for me. But it is good. Very good.

Wormwood as best as I can describe it: floral nose, minty on the palette, and woody finish.

Someone here once mentioned to squish your tongue to the roof of your mouth in the aftertaste and for some reason it helps to intensify the wormwood flavor. Also drinking more absinthe helps your palette get over the herbal shock and you can detect more flavors.

A future purchase suggestion is Blanchette, which I think has the most obvious wormwood flavor of current brands.

Also brief question: I am unable to isolate the smell of the wormwood. Any suggestions, tips, or hints? When I read a review that specifies comments on the wormwood they are currently lost on me which is a shame.
You won't detect much of a wormwood note in the Kübler, at least not as much as in the Jades, but it's still good.

Grand Wormwood has the sort of taste and smell you almost have to experience separately in order to pick it out. It is somewhat minty-camphorous, but not cool minty like peppermint or spearmint. If you have ever mown over a patch of overgrown mixed weeds along a fence, you may have encountered very similar smells. It's not an exaggeration to say that an absinthe with a good fresh wormwood profile smells like an alpine meadow on a warm spring day.

One of these days I'm going to put together a "tasting kit". This has been talked about for years now, and it really needs to be done. Trouble is, that wormwood on its own can be pretty funky, so it might be a little misleading.

I think La Lantern Verte or Wild Bill Turkey suggested it was like bruised fresh Tarragon. I smell the similarities.

As they are both Artemesiums there should be similarities. But I've never followed up myself. The best way to identify A.a. vicariously in the flavor palette is to grow it. And harvest and dry it. It is a beautiful scent. And you will know the taste.

Yeah, that's always been my stock advice for identifying the taste and smell that wormwood contributes to your absinthe. Most decent grocery stores have fresh tarragon in the produce section, with the herbs and garnishes.

If you buy some fresh terragon and bring it home and chop it up in your kitchen, you'll immediately and forever know what the wormwood factor is, just from the smell. I don't recommend eating it as part of the experiment, though, as the taste is different than the smell.

While not quite as satisfying as PB's suggestion, most good herb stores will have dried Wormwood. Not nearly as floral as fresh but it'll give you an idea. While you're there, you may want to pick up a little anise, fennel, hyssop, melissa, etc...

The flavors after distillation are very different than raw herbs but it's an inexpensive way to wrap your head around the different herbs. Besides, it's great fun to sit around the table munching on herbs and sipping absinthe. "Who's first to try the Wormwood?!!!"

I agree about buying some live wormwood plants. I bought a couple last weekend, four US dollars per plant, and they are lovely. I've only chewed a little of it so far, just to get a hint of what the taste is. I'll sample it a bit more as it grows larger. It's actually an attractive plant, lovely in a pot.

One of these days I'm going to put together a "tasting kit". This has been talked about for years now, and it really needs to be done. Trouble is, that wormwood on its own can be pretty funky, so it might be a little misleading.

I'd love something like this. I've been drinking absinthe for six years now and I'm pretty sure I get what's what, but I'm not entirely certain. A tasting kit would be very helpful. What's been stopping you? Quit being lazy, ya bum.

I'd love to try the plant but I have been cursed with a black thumb - If its alive & I touch it- it dies (except kids- who knew :wacko: )

I will try the tarragon & next time I am at the "nature store" I'll check about the dried wormwood.