Brooks

Absinthe: The American Remix

My remarks were about the eyes on the bottle and the cookies on the glass.

The image being presented to the public was the inspiration for "this shit stinks"

The contents of the bottle certainly has promise because of the artists involved in its creation and the Absinthe, the distillery already has on the market. They do make some of the best Absinthe in the world.

I am looking forward to tasting Lucid. :cheers: to all

TR. :wave2: out

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'll be buying a bottle of the stuff - possibly several - just to support the notion of US-legal absinthe. Doesn't mean I can't still wince at cookie-crumb-coated "martinis", tho'. ;)

:)

- Johanna

Lucid seems to be something darn nice if not in the traditional sense, id est. If I were American I would be very happy as I have said many a time before, still with my ardent Polish inclinations I would have lots of questions starting with " why 62% only???" :cheers:

What printmaker said (except the part about Danny Devito). It only makes sense they're coming up with cocktails. I can't think of any commonly drank alcohol that doesn't have a cocktail associated with it. Absinthe included. Coming up with new ways to drink it is just par for the course.

That said, cookie-crumb-coated martinis sound just vile. Especially with a star anise pod floating in the glass.

If it is the mightiest zelena muza or such (green devil kit??) I do not wonder why six cubes...

I bet they do. If we look closer, the most important in their absinth marketing is sugar flaming not using.

I almost thought that was our peri

I know. At first glance I was thinking, "I don't fucking remember that! When did I ever drink steepsinth or pose for a photo with it like a tool?!"

Creepy.

Hi Wild Bill(post#253)

His hair is one thing,six sugars is an other and then there's my question.

Put it all together and it spells 911. :laf:

:cheers: to you and Peridot

Now you see, I'm gonna get in trouble again, but it is Wild Bill's fault... this is the photo from the Green Devil (look under "testimonials" of course!) site that really got me. Sure, most people might be impressed by the public urination shot (and no better recommendation can Green Devil get) but I went for this gem.

contest4.jpg

I mean take a moment and just look. It's like an Edward Hopper piece. It makes me want to paint again!

Where to start? Let's take the color first off... the orange of the T-shirt, juxtuposed with the green (I think it is green) of the Green Devil. You can feel the tension! (I cannot identify the school the shirt is from, but if you do recognize it, and are an alumni, share the pride!) And speaking of tension, notice the woman in the background, engrossed in, what, a game show? American Idol? Hard to tell, but you can sense that she is disapproving that her husband spent so much money on the Green Devil kit. She has read about absinthe, and is genuinely worried.

But there the husband sits, defiant and proud. He can handle it, dammit. The brewmaster dedicated to his craft. One has to be impressed by his facility, using what looks like a doggy snack jar, adorned with paw prints ("hmm, do I detect a hint of... Milkbone?"). He is happy with the product, and one assumes the end result is what is in that jar, which resembles spinach juice, or perhaps a terrarium gone horribly wrong.

The mismatched kitchen chairs, and the fact that the "Green Hour" has apparently interfered with Laundry Day, just make the shot all the more poignant.

Geez, when did I get so mean?!

I don't know about being mean, but damn, that is right on funny. The only thing being more idiotic than buying an herb-soak absinthe "kit" is putting your picture on the web proving you're an idiot. Do they hand out the Winston Awards on the WS?

Why does the look on his face make me think he is filling his pants. It's not a look of pride and accomplishment. Maybe he tasted it.

I thought that was the guy who runs Green Devil. Probably is.

But, uh, really, Absinthe and Red Bull? C'mon!
Not my cup of tea but there are some real Bullpis and Slurpis fans around this joint.
:wave2:
That's what kinda worried me about that particular drink. Three of those and I'd be a Dorothy Parker epigram...
Still room for more at the May 26th event. I'm hosting.
And c'mon, you got to give Lucid some credit... sure they are apealling to the cocktail set...
Um, no. Not this memebr of the cocktail set. They're appealing to the bar scene set. And that's okay, because there's a lot of those people and they aren't going away.
It only makes sense they're coming up with cocktails. I can't think of any commonly drank alcohol that doesn't have a cocktail associated with it. Absinthe included. Coming up with new ways to drink it is just par for the course.
Oh, I'm all for absinthe cocktails; I've come up with a few. But I'm against everything-under-the-sun-tinis, especially ones that contain neither gin nor vermouth and have nothing in common with a real martini.

Talk about nail on the head. I'm still chuckling, printmkr.

'Bet this was the photo he sent in to "Survivor". Watch out next season...

Excellent and thorough review! You really should be an art critic, printmkr.

But there the husband sits, defiant and proud. He can handle it, dammit.

Handle what? The giant plantain protruding from his groin? ...impressive :mbanana:

I don't know about being mean, but damn, that is right on funny.

That is exactly what I was thinking! :laf:

I'm guessing he had already been drinking out of that jar when he sent the picture.

I almost thought that was our peri

I know. At first glance I was thinking, "I don't fucking remember that! When did I ever drink steepsinth or pose for a photo with it like a tool?!"

Creepy.

Yeah, that was doubly creepy, for sure. I thought to myself "Hmm, Peridot, Circa 2005, BWS [before Wormwood sSociety] and was genuinely concerned for your health and wellbeing).

I don't know about being mean, but damn, that is right on funny.

Thought the same thing!!!! :laf:

Do they hand out the Winston Awards on the WS?

YES. In fact, Absomphe wanted to give me one about a year ago (because he was in love with me and couldn't handle it). Well, that's not true (well, hell, I don't know, maybe), it's more because there were a preponderance of a-holes on here and I love to dish out shit to the a-holes.

Aaron

printmkr, :laf: , that is truly funny.

Let me guess, you're really an art critic. And a very good one.

Hiram sez:

Are you suggesting there might be some Lucid available for sampling?

I think y'all are nitpicking Lucid's marketing to death. If you'd just spent a bundle of your own money producing 6000 bottles of good absinthe, having it tested according to FDA procedures at multiple labs (and that isn't free either), etc etc all to bring legal authentic absinthe to America, you'd want to reach as many new folks (= new customers) as possible. The choir here is not a group they have to convince.

As others has said, hopefully this is just the beginning.

:cheers:

If the first "happy" devil drinker could pass for Peridot, I myself nearly posted the second one, thinking it reminded me of someone else here. Who shall remain nameless. To protect the innocent (, ignorant, fool that I am). Besides, I couldn't top printmkr's brilliant exegesis of the shot even if I had gone to school in my youth. :cheers:

Hiram sez:

Maybe he means there'll be Green Devil at this one. :devil:

Hiram sez:

Well, if I can finagle it, yes that would be great, and I've already talked to Ted about it, but no, I was just suggesting that I'd like to get four of those drinks into britgeekgrrl.
I think y'all are nitpicking Lucid's marketing to death. If you'd just spent a bundle of your own money producing 6000 bottles of good absinthe, having it tested according to FDA procedures at multiple labs (and that isn't free either), etc etc all to bring legal authentic absinthe to America, you'd want to reach as many new folks (= new customers) as possible. The choir here is not a group they have to convince.

As others has said, hopefully this is just the beginning.

I concur.

I was just suggesting that I'd like to get four of those drinks into britgeekgrrl.

(Hooray! someone got the joke!) But, ow, are you trying to kill me via alcohol poisoning? Between drinks like that and my pal who likes to pour "Expanding Cosmo(s)" down me at parties (short version: 4 oz of various vodkas) I'm amazed I have anything resembling a liver left!

Damn booze, for being so tasty, anyways...

- Johanna

PS. if it wasn't for the fact that a local sci-fi/fantasy con OWNS me the same weekend as the next get-together, me and my liver would be taking my chances with you lot, I assure you. ;)

(edited for clarity)

Now you see, I'm gonna get in trouble again, but it is Wild Bill's fault... this is the photo from the Green Devil (look under "testimonials" of course!) site that really got me. Sure, most people might be impressed by the public urination shot (and no better recommendation can Green Devil get) but I went for this gem.

contest4.jpg

I mean take a moment and just look. It's like an Edward Hopper piece... And speaking of tension, notice the woman in the background, engrossed in, what, a game show? American Idol? Hard to tell...

Ah, I believe I can assert with some confidence that she is looking at Len Goodman, one of the judges of ABC's sleeper hit Dancing with the Stars.

Much as I enjoyed your assessment of the photo, printmkr, you left out a minor detail: Who's taking the picture?

Is it one of the kids? ( Here, sweetie, get a shot of Daddy with his new 'mystery booze' project...)

Or was it his partner in crime, his buddy from next door (now living back at his mom's place after the trailer was repossessed and Dixie left him, again) who wanted a picture of his worldly friend who makes real absinthe, the stuff that made Van Gogh cut his ear off?