Brooks

Absinthe: The American Remix

1. I am so excited about this. Hopefully my high expectations won't be too high. That's not a bash, you know what I mean. Honestly, I have throttled Ted a few times on here for the price point of the Jades, and have already let my thoughts on the price point of Lucid be known as well (IMO, both are above reasonable). But in regard to the Jades, I don't happen to like any of their flavors, but they *are* well crafted; further, in regard to Lucid, it makes me happy to know that at least with Ted at the helm it will be at worst a "drink I don't like" as opposed to a poorly crafted/cheap drink. What I mean by that is that I know the difference between a poorly crafted and overpriced drink (think: KoS) and a drink that I simply don't have a taste for. What's more, I am sympathetic to the cost and risk involved in a venture such as this and while I may not personally like the Jades, I know that with such a sensitive product and with so much riding on this drink, Ted will not bow down to pressure to make anything less than a well crafted product...regardless of whether it fits my palate.

So, Ted, you can take solace in the fact that one of your more ardent skeptics knows (regardless of his hapless whining) that you can be trusted in a matter such as this.

2. As this product will be released first around New York, for you WS'ers who aren't in this area, I would be MORE THAN happy to set up a sort of "underground railroad" to get you folks some Lucid when it hits stores up there.

If anyone is interested, I would be more than happy to make runs up to NYC and procure bottles to ship to you (assuming I'm reimbursed).

Aaron

Also, I must admit I admire your courage. Being from NY, I realize sometimes social situations, particularly following online postings, can often be... awkward.

"Hey, fellahs, look who it is, Brooks!"

"Hi! thanks for inviting me to.."

"Don't worry about it! Sit down, sit down... have a drink!"

"Why thanks, I..."

"Old Brooksy here is a real comedian, ain't you Brooks? We been readin all about it on the Internet, as it were."

"Oh, I'm flattered you would even take the time..."

"Oh, we take the time! Yep, fellahs, he's a real comedian!"

"Um, I do remember expressing some reservations on some packaging decisions..."

"Reservations?! Oh, dat's a good one! I believe a "cat suit" was mentioned..."

"Oh, only in passing, I'm sure that..."

"Don't worry about it, I'm just bustin your chops. We are all men of the world here, ain't that right Knuckles?"

"Dats right, Boss."

"Sure it is. In fact my associate Knuckles here, and his associate, Mr. Pinkyclipper... whoa, whoa, WHOA! Where are you goin all of a sudden?! Sit down Brooks, we ain't even had our drink yet!"

"I just remembered a previous engagement..."

"I bet you do, I bet you do! Anyway, Knuckles and his friend here wanted to take you out back and show you some 'cat moves' of their own, as it were. I'm sure you will appreciate them... I know I will. And remember Brooksy, when anyone asks you, I mean when you come to and all, it has a fantastic louche, capiche?"

I would be MORE THAN happy to set up a sort of "underground railroad" to get you folks some Lucid when it hits stores up there.

Somewhat less "underground" now that you've broadcasted it online, eh? :dry:

Now that its been mentioned I am wondering if I saw a similar billboard on the West side highway ....black background, green eyes- nothing else.

Next time we drive down I'll have to look.

I also am intrigued about the product & legalization but the thing that hits me the most is that the bottle & website seems to be geared to toward the younger "party" crowd but the price is definitely not.

I hope they really have a strong marketing strategy to help boost it otherwise I may never get to walk to the corner store & grab a bottle cuz "dayum I just ran out"

:cheers:

I would be MORE THAN happy to set up a sort of "underground railroad" to get you folks some Lucid when it hits stores up there.

Somewhat less "underground" now that you've broadcasted it online, eh? :dry:

Erm..."overland transport?" :g:

Luscious Oily Lesbians!

I love to drive. I wouldn't mind being part of some sort of Texas->Arizona joint in said railroad. Or a Colorado joint.

Now that I think of it, if the Frappr map could do radii around us, that would be perfect for planning such a "railroad."

And in the immortal words of Gary Anonymous: "Can't you just imagine two guys in that railroad freight car sipping some high quality absinthe, transporting it across the southwest for other people to try?"

Thanks for the overview, Brooks. Very informative. Now, where's Gatsby?

They said that a contemporary design was chosen to make the product stand out and to give Lucid broader appeal on the American market.
the thing that hits me the most is that the bottle & website seems to be geared to toward the younger "party" crowd but the price is definitely not.

The longer I've thought about the packaging the more it's been bothering me. Hunnibunni hits the nail on the head, as I see it. I pay that much more for a bottle I don't want it to look like the marketing gimmick it is. I want a staid, respectable message about trusting the contents. At first it didn't bother me, the proof will be in the taste and all that song and dance. But I really think there's a disconnect going on between the trustworthiness of the packaging message and the contents inside considering the price it's being sold for. I trust Ted to create a reasonable product and I trust Brooks to give us his honest opinion that it is a reasonable product, as far as taste. But what does the packaging say, or is meant to say? That this is not your fuddy-duddy daddy's bottle of Scotch? Shell out the money, show you have taste, but fun, alluring party-time taste?

Brooks, did you get any feel for who their target audience is? Judging from who appears on these forums it's a pretty diverse group that we know of already enjoying absinthe. And if the American members of the forums can be counted as the "choir" and a captive audience for this product (even with a significant portion displeased with its packaging) who do they hope to reach and separate from their hard-earned cash out in the real world? And when are the Men of Lucid going to come out from behind the virtual veil and address the forums? Your real-life encounter keeps it all so much more mysterious for the rest of us, I guess.

At this writing, there are fifteen sample bottles of Lucid in the U.S.

And you had to share one drink? Any word on what distributors or retailers or restaurant/bars they're plying with the rest of those samples? I guess we can assume Pegu will have a bottle on their shelves? Who else?

I'm delighted to report that this tweaking in no way affects the character of the drink. Its virtues are as tasty, authentic, and clear-headed as any good absinthe.

You're sure of that from just a few shared sips? Especially when you mention such a slippery and elusive aspect of the drink. I'll have to take your word for it.

Very intriguing.

[i'm hoping that without thujone to fall back on as a marketing gimmick, taste will becomes paramount in building brand loyalty. Taste.....what a concept!

Exactly.

There are so many facets to this topic that it would be impossible to cover them all here. We believe however is that a U.S. market that is introduced and educated to a standard of quality will make waves outside of the U.S.

What's more, I am sympathetic to the cost and risk involved in a venture such as this and while I may not personally like the Jades, I know that with such a sensitive product and with so much riding on this drink, Ted will not bow down to pressure to make anything less than a well crafted product...regardless of whether it fits my palate.

Exactly.

I made it clear in no uncertain terms that I wouldn't be associated with anything less, and fortunately, they (Viridian) wouldn't accept anything less.

Additional notes:

One must realize that it is impossible to suit everyone where presentation is concerned, and many options were considered with the bottling and labeling. Keep in mind there are some 400 high end vodkas competing for shelf space in NY alone, and Lucid must compete on their playing field. When each of you has an opportunity to review the verbiage on the back of the bottle, I hope it puts everything in proper perspective.

A week ago, there were 30 bottles in the U.S. Now, there are <15. This is why samples are being poured with restraint at this point in time.

Did I overwater the sample? I probably did (was too tired to remember), and that isn't like me. I was trying to do too many things at once, and the Pegu cocktail I had just prior to that point blurred my vision with an orangey haze.

It's always a pleasure to meet WS members (who tend to be damn nice people), and I will bring both Lucid and Perique to the Tales of the Cocktail event (assuming I can survive that long with this schedule).

I must admit, this thread - especially Brooks' excellent report - has modified my opinion from 'frankly skeptical' to 'cautiously optimistic'. Hooray!

Now, if I could just get my hands on a bottle before Memorial Day Weekend... I'm going for the fourth wormwood leaf cluster on my absinthe evangelist ribbon and having that on hand would be - to mix the metaphor - a feather in my cap.

*eyeballs the not-at-all-underground railway meaningfully*

- Johanna

Also, I must admit I admire your courage. Being from NY, I realize sometimes social situations, particularly following online postings, can often be... awkward.

"Hey, fellahs, look who it is, Brooks!"

"Hi! thanks for inviting me to.."

"Don't worry about it! Sit down, sit down... have a drink!" ETC.

HA! This made my day, Printmkr! Thanks.

As this product will be released first around New York, for you WS'ers who aren't in this area, I would be MORE THAN happy to set up a sort of "underground railroad" to get you folks some Lucid when it hits stores up there.

The guys from Viridian did say it would be available online. Sorry for not pinning them down as to exact dates, but I would think it'll be very soon. No way New Yorkers are going to purchase 6000 bottles of absinthe.

Thanks for the overview, Brooks. Very informative. Now, where's Gatsby?
Just came across his report over at Fee Verte (he's Donnie Darko over there).

Your real-life encounter keeps it all so much more mysterious for the rest of us, I guess.
An aura of vast mystery attends all my worldly doings. Could it be otherwise, when I, myself, am so mysterious, so inscrutable?

You're sure of that from just a few shared sips? Especially when you mention such a slippery and elusive aspect of the drink.
I was having such a nice time that my "clear-headedness" may have been autosuggestion. Good point.

Hmmm. The Pegu Club is owned by Audrey Saunders, a good friend of DrinkBoy. ;)
I was hoping she'd be there Monday night, as Ted's never met her. We'll be sure to hook 'em up in New Orleans.

Ted will probably bring Lucid and Perique to Tales of the Cocktail. I'm going to be a sampling fiend!
That'll take care of your Sunday morning for sure, Nymph. And miles to go before you sleep!

To all sampling fiends out there, I highly recommend THIS event for anyone who can get to New Orleans on Thursday.

An aura of vast mystery attends all my worldly doings. How could it be otherwise, when I, myself, am so mysterious, silent, and inscrutable?

Well, at least we got an explanation of the cat suit. ;)

Thanks Brooks and Ted. I continue to be optimistic and excited. I will buy a bottle if I can find one (I'll just hide it at the back of the Absinthe shelf so the eyes can peak through my Jade forest of traditional labels).

For those that dislike the label you could always pull a JMfranc and print out an old style label with "Pernod Fils" replaced with "Lucid" and scotch tape it on. :)

While I still don't understand the label choice (I would assume the market it's made for would like the older style better) I don't hate it and think it's more creative than the many "Here's Van Gogh, now drink our brown crap" labels out there. It fits well with the duplais new style artistic labels.

I know, I promised shinsain I would be good and not keep this thread from deteriorating into some cat suit tangent... and I was good for a while,but then the big kids started cutting up, and, well, I sort of forgot. So this is the last cat suit reference from me, and I will now cease to be a disruptive force on this thread! But some images just fire off the synapses, and the mind cries out for release..! Apologies to Jim Toomey and off course Brooks himself!

sherman.jpg

From the article, it seems like they are sourcing the same high quality herbs they use in Jade Products, and distilling at the same facility in France.

I'm wondering what is allowing them to reduce the price from what currently works out to over $100 US for most of the Jades down to $35 for the Lucid.

Column still instead of pot still? Different base spirit?

Also, as a West Coast Absinthe fancier, I'm wondering what the timeline is for availability here.

~Erik

I think what irritates me most about the cat eyes is that it feels disjointed from the rest of the product. My guess from my experience with people is that the frat/ shooter/ goth/ whatever crowds who would be drawn to that label would be the sort of people to say, "What, $60 for a bottle of booze? Shit, I can get some Absolut and get fucked up just as easily."

I don't think the frat/ shooter/ goth/ crowd is the target. I doubt Viridian is trying to outsell Jim Beam, anyway. I think it's more likely the Dodge Viper, Porsche Carrera, BMW M6 crowd: "I got more money than you, I'm ba-a-a-ad... and I DRINK ABSINTHE! Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!"

(or something like that)

I myself prefer the traditional labels, but I appreciate the more modern ones, too. My first thought when I saw the Lucid label was, at least it's not as weird as Duplais Balance! (Which, FWIW, I kind of like.)

I am still optimistic about the product, though. :)

:thumbup: With Ted Breaux involved, you bet! And I like the price relative to having things shipped from overseas. And I like what this may bode for other quality absinthes coming to our shores - and what further effects that may have on prices!

Whole thing looks very promising! :cheers:

Edited by Mayzandas

Column still instead of pot still? Different base spirit?

~Erik

You don't use a column still for absinthe.

That's why he said "instead of pot still." Although that still wouldn't be desireable or account for any cost difference.

From the article, it seems like they are sourcing the same high quality herbs they use in Jade Products, and distilling at the same facility in France.
High quality, perhaps, but Ted said that he's using different grand wormwood in the Lucid.

But I would think that would make the price higher not lower. It seems that thoujone-free/low thoujone wormwoods are less common that the regular types, and therefore more expensive, making the final product more expensive.

Although I'm probably just talking out of my ass.

Edited by scaper8

Well, the grand wormwood used in the Jades is that wonderfully fragrant bloom from Pontarlier, which is the highest quality I've tasted, so chances are it's also among the priciest.

While I doubt we will ever know the finances, this product is backed by a spirits company who might be willing to take small profits or a hit to get their name out there. How much would a marketing company be paid to generate the same buzz that being the "first absinthe to US market" will generate in the next year (especially riding the buzz Ted has already created with Jade)?

That's why he said "instead of pot still." Although that still wouldn't be desireable or account for any cost difference.

confused.gif

Yes, which is why I had in the first place said...never mind.

Maybe it was confusingly worded? :heart:

While I doubt we will ever know the finances, this product is backed by a spirits company who might be willing to take small profits or a hit to get their name out there. How much would a marketing company be paid to generate the same buzz that being the "first absinthe to US market" will generate in the next year (especially riding the buzz Ted has already created with Jade)?

I think this is a pretty good point which has yet to be made. Once this gets in, it opens the door for more quality products from Ted and hopefully this will in turn make other manufacturers take notice of our budding market and realize the potential -- a potential which has been here for years anyway.

confused.gif

Yes, which is why I had in the first place said...never mind.

Maybe it was confusingly worded? :heart:

[...]

Sorry, to be confusing! A problem I often have.

Just idly speculating about procedures which might decrease price to produce, and increase production volume.

Not being entirely savvy about the peculiarities of distilling Absinthe, I don't know why it wouldn't be possible to adapt the Bombay Sapphire Gin method to the production of Absinthe.

That is to say, instead of infusing the spirit and then re-distilling, passing the distillate through a flavoring head (explanation here) before it is re-condensed.

Just talking out of my hat really.

I am quite excited, it will be great to have a high quality, well made alternative, when the cash flow situation doesn't allow throwing gold after the flying monkeys.

Remember that higher production volume generally equals lower cost per bottle, though.

A gin basket wouldn't work with absinthe. The botanicals need to be macerated in spirits to liberate the essential oils. There's a section on the process in our FAQ.