Brooks

Absinthe: The American Remix

*sigh* I always seem to be late for the party. :dry:

Missed the free shipping from DrinkNY as well--ordered from Bargain Liquors before seeing the follow-up post. Ah, well--live and learn.

I just recieved my bottle and I agree with most of the other posters, the bottle is not as gimmicky as it appears online. It does have a T-cork closure, I was fearing a screwtop. While the DrinkupNY website claims free overnight shipping I recieved mine in two days, not too bad for free shipping and I won't complain at all.

"Beet neutral spirits distilled with herbs with additional herbs added" is the claim on the front of the bottle. What additional herbs are added?

Now the important part. The aroma is Jadeish and the taste is light but hearty. I'm impressed and will be looking for more.

More specifically if it's a Pontarlier recipe (I don't know if it is but I have seen people refer to it as such) the added herbs should be A. Pontica, Lemon Balm and Hyssop.

I'm thinking the 'additional herbs' are added as part of the coloration process.

Exactly. However, I don't think there is any Roman wormwood in Lucid.

Darned brown monkeys. I have to wait another 2 hours before I drive to their lair to pick up my Lucid. I missed the 2nd delivery attempt and they wouldn't just leave it on the porch for me. Argh! :pirate: But after all of this hassle I will be tasting what all the hubbub is about later tonight.

If there is no Roman Wormwood in Lucid, they must have substituted something. It has a taste to it that I don't normally associate with 'Pontarlier'. Is there coriander in there? I will admit though that I find the taste of Roman Wormwood hard to pin down.

Does that mean that the Roman Wormwood has too much thujone? I'm only asking because I thought Roman Wormwood was pretty essential.

It has thujone. Not as much as Grand wormwood. Funny thing is vintage PF test at 6 PPM thujone, you would think that with all of the "expertise" that Ted has they could have made a spot-on vintage clone that would pass TTB muster.

It has thujone. Not as much as Grand wormwood. Funny thing is vintage PF test at 6 PPM thujone, you would think that with all of the "expertise" that Ted has they could have made a spot-on vintage clone that would pass TTB muster.

Probably, he could have.

However, it would likely then be even more expensive than it already is.

Visited the Flying Monkey hive and picked up my package this evening.

Planning a Lucid, VdF, and PF 1901 taste off with some friends in the coming days.

Reports to follow.

~Erik

I too am back from the hive with Lucid in hand. My first impression are good. In an effort to avoid the overwatering issue, I think I made my first glass a wee bit too strong. Oh well, them's the breaks! :wave2:

I find both wormwoods to be very mellow, especially the AP (if it's there at all). It also does not taste like a Pontarlier recipe to me, something else is going on there, I have an idea what but I'm not sure yet.

The overall flavor was very subtle and not too exciting, actually I liked it with a little sugar and I'm usually a sans sucre type. Should do well in the US do to the subtleness of the flavors.

Reminds me of an old tagline for French's mustard though

"made for American tastes".

edit:Hmm, much like "weapons of mass destruction"

all use of the old tagline is gone,

I'll continue my search though.

To me (read the disclaimer in my signature line) it tastes more like a Matter product that is missing something, an herb or two, than part of the Jade line. Not that that's a bad thing I love the Matter products and really like the Lucid. Sort of a Duplais lite.

At least a couple knowledgeable people thought the mystery bubblegum flavor I was tasting in the L'artisanale was the AP, and I hear that tested low, so I wouldn't guess a lack of AP is tbones related (but that's only a guess).

From the sound of it, Lucid might spell the end to buying any of the mid-quality spanish brands (well, besides Serpis) just because they are cheap.

The base alcohol has a big part in that difference you notice too.

Hmm, so the funk must be in the grape spirits.

Does that mean that the Roman Wormwood has too much thujone? I'm only asking because I thought Roman Wormwood was pretty essential.

Talking of historical recipes 1 kg of dried Artemisia pontica L. for coloration means 0.34% oil, of which 25%-30% might be thujone, so not that much and so far nothing has been mentioned whether Lucid is based on historical recipes or is a completely new creation (I believe the latter).

Unlike Jades, the base alcohol is a beet one (and of superior quality unlike its predecessors of the heyday) that is believed to be just the same as the one used in Emile Pernot distillery at 97.3% vol.

Is it my imagination or is there a citrus (read: orange) smell to the louche? I like it. It's hard to detect in the tasting of it though. Methinks the delicate flavors are usurped by the presence of the strong alcohol. My taste buds are wasted I guess.

At least a couple knowledgeable people thought the mystery bubblegum flavor I was tasting in the L'artisanale was the AP…

Probably the Fenouil Doux. The same recipe without that particular fennel and a higher contribution of the homegrown Artemisia pontica doesn't have it.

No prob.

And T73, there's no angelica in it, but if we ever get a chance to talk, I'll jot down the recipe for you.

By the way Robert Hess (aka DrinkBoy) has a nice article over on the spirit world about Absinthe and Lucid:

Lucid Absinthe

The whole Absinthe/thujone mess certainly is a hard thing to capture in a blog friendly length; but, he does quite a nice job.

Even mentions the Wormwood Society and this very topic!