Brooks

Absinthe: The American Remix

Hopefully, the shopkeepers are delightfully surprised at how quickly the product is moving.

Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Man, I hate being patient.

Damn. I just put in a call and they're closed already. I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

I have a bottle of Lucid from Park Ave Liquors. The eyes are smaller than on the website, the box is black, no writing just a black box.

I have a meeting with lawyers on Tuesday. So I can't taste Lucid until Wednesday the earliest, Friday the latest. But I will post a general impression after my second sip.

:cheers:

Doesn't come up much in casual conversation does it?

empyreuma

<chemistry> The peculiar smell and taste arising from products of decomposition of animal or vegetable substances when burnt in close vessels.

Origin: NL, from Gr. A live coal covered with ashes, fr. To set on fire, fr., cf. F. Empyreume. See Empyreal.

Source: Websters Dictionary

Is "empyreuma" the fancy word for "burnt"? "Burnt" is a word that gets tossed about with bitchy abandon, and I've never understood what it meant.

I first mis-read it as "empyrean" somehow. There is probably a linguistic relationship between the two words but it doesn't make sense in the context of the review. This is also the first time I've seen "empyreuma." A great one for the vocab. Well, confusing people anyway. :)

Just picked up one as well from Bargain with three day shipping. It was 78 bucks all told. Hope it's good shit.

Aaron

"Burnt" is a word that gets tossed about with bitchy abandon, and I've never understood what it meant.

I think "Scorched" works a little better than "Burnt" to my Absomphe-sized nose. I believe the reference is to the distillation process. Without adequate water in the giant pot stills, the herbs can begin to scorch or burn once the alcohol has been distilled. Unless the distiller is on top of his game, the flavor of scorching or burning herbs will be carried over to the freshly distilled absinthe. Generally, this would not be regarded as a positive contribution to the flavor profile.

Now someone with more expertise can amend or correct my foolish assumptions.

I think "Scorched" works a little better than "Burnt" to my Absomphe-sized nose.

That's a funny juxtaposition, T.

Most people tell me my nose is too small for my face. :)

Too me, it's a matter of degree..."burnt" can be an almost pleasing caramel-like flavor, if it is only slightly so, whereas "scorched" is severely burnt, and the absinthe is a goner.

Interesting. I'm sure it's only a matter of me not paying attention but I never had the feeling "burnt" was used complimentary. I'll have to think on that.

With your avatar, it's very difficult to imagine Absomphe with a small nose!

Burnt isn't generally used as complimentary, although Jack used to claim (seriously) that he enjoyed just a touch of it in an absinthe, (perhaps very lightly toasted?) because of that slight caramel flavor. The problem with burnt is that it's not something controlled that a distiller would attempt on purpose, so it most often ends up really burnt, or scorched. :thumbdown:

And please don't confuse me with my avatar, he's handsome. ;)

I think such a flavour but not regarded as a flaw I can detect in Malaga quitapenas, Oksamit red, Salvatore rojo and Soave from Northern East Italy, and definitely in grappa varieties (here, it is not compliementary, though).

Malaga-15%, Oksamit-16%, Salvatore-17%, Soave-11-11.5%, whereas grappa (the one I could detect it) was at 45%. Oh, and the same burnt profile have wines from Moldavia.

Do they cook their wines in Moldavia? The "burnt" profile in question is largely caused by cooking herbs or vegetable matter too long, such as one would do in an improperly made absinthe. A wine wouldn't get it unless someone was cooking the grapes for a long period of time.

Wines from Moldavia are characterized by higher than usual alcohol content between 15-17% (so the addition of wine distillate is probable) and they are additionally sweetened.

To some extent, we may consider them as liqueur wines. Even the dry varieties like Hincesti Pinot Noir have a well-pronounced smoky flavour. Still, they are very fruity.

Pardon me, um, returning to Lucid™ for a moment, I see that DrinkupNY has free shipping right now. Free, overnight shipping no less. So, I'll be a happy man very shortly. :cheers: I hope anyway.

Sonofabitch. This news comes a day late for me, as I already placed an order that included a $17 shipping/handling fee. :poop:

Hi All

I'm on my second sip of lucid and I like it. :yahoo: :thumbup:

The ratio-3 to 1, color-light yellowish green, the louche finished at around 2-3/4 to 1. No Sugar

I think that 2-3/4 is the best ratio,and no higher than 3 to 1.

The taste is herbal and smooth, easy to drink,very pleasant,good stuff :thumbup:

This is absinthe, this will sell, Kudos to Ted.

The more detailed review I leave to others. I'm going to have another glass.

:cheers: to all

O.K. 2-3/4 to 1 is the best (this is my second glass).

Hi All

I'm on my second sip of lucid and I like it. :yahoo: :thumbup:

The ratio-3 to 1, color-light yellowish green, the louche finished at around 2-3/4 to 1. No Sugar

I think that 2-3/4 is the best ratio,and no higher than 3 to 1.

The taste is herbal and smooth, easy to drink,very pleasant,good stuff :thumbup:

This is absinthe, this will sell, Kudos to Ted. :worshippy:

The more detailed review I leave to others. I'm going to have another glass.

:cheers: to all and Ted

O.K. 2-3/4 to 1 is the best (this is my second glass).

Although not that extensive :laugh: , your review includes all the points I wish it would cover, so thank you very much, TR.WILLY :cheers: You could post some pics of louche-action, will you?

Well, I guess the good news is TrW likes it.

The bad news: I paid way too much for my bottle! (Which hasn't arrived yet!)

Ah, well, the joy and pain of being an "early adopter"!

Wow…

Free overnight shipping, the bottle was on sale, and I did not have to worry about getting charged international fees. If this place one day carries the entire Jade line I will be a very happy man!

Unreal!

My order is in!