printmkr

Guilty Pleasures: Absinthes you love...

Perhaps it was the first absinthe you ever had and you have a soft spot for it... perhaps it is an absinthe where you love the bottle, or perhaps it is an absinthe you always thought was underrated, or over-berated? While others call it an "absinthe of dubious breeding" you are "amused by it's presumptuousness" (apologies to Thurber). Would be glad to hear if you care to share what you may enjoy from time to time, but may not often admit to with the general WS population. We are among friends, no?

Lemercier Abisinthe Amer 72.

First absinthe I ever really enjoyed. I think it tastes pretty dismal now on its merits, but something about the memories makes it still really enjoyable for a glass or two.

My first was La Ptite and after my first three sips or so, I thought this reminds me of Good and Plenty candy. This is a candy from my childhood(more seduction).

NS70. I love the color before and after the louche. It is slow to louche with thick swirling layers that are amazing to watch. I think it tastes pretty darn good for an oil mix. I just don't like the residue it leaves on the sides of my glass.

We are among friends, no?
I couldn't help noticing you didn't share your guilty pleasure. Waiting for others to go first? ;)
Mari Mayans.
:shock:

Well, I've never made a secret of the fact that I like François Guy, so that wouldn't be much of a confession, so guess I'll have to admit that I like ...

um,

I'm trying to think of another crappy absinthe I like.

I can't.

Okay, I'm a snob.

I don't have a crappy absinthe I like to drink, because since my VdF adventure I only drink Jade this or that, and I like all of them for the most part. I would LOVE to find a crappy (read: cheap) absinthe I would like to drink, but then again maybe most of us here would share that sentiment, no?

I myself am too much of a n00b to have a guilty pleasure absinthe (at least being aware of it). My first order was L'Ptite (love it), Duplais (Really love it) and Doub's (so-so but my wife loves it, and since it is relatively inexpensive, who am I to argue?). Getting my selection ready for a second order... thought I would try some top of the line stuff mixed with middle shelf stuff... which is why I guess I am on this fishing expedition. Thanks all for sharing!

it is an absinthe you always thought was underrated, or over-berated? While others call it an "absinthe of dubious breeding" you are "amused by it's presumptuousness"

You do mean Hill's, don't ya :devil: printmkr?

Okay, I'll fess up.

Segara 68, when I first tried it at Midwest Louchefest' 04.

Yes, I could tell that there must have been A.A used in the coloration step, because there was that over the top harsh bitterness, but it sort of put me in mind of Buffalo Bill's Alimony Ale, and my days as an unregenerate hophead, so I indulged the nostalgia. :twitchsmile:

OK. If I must...

Though it has a horrifically harsh bite (not the wormwood, some other ingredient?), I am intrigued by the lemony/citrusy tone of the Absinthe Leone. I keep trying it and find there is an appeal, but if only it could be reformulated to soften the astringent/chalky aftertaste.

Lemercier Abisinthe Amer 72 as well. Extracts used or not, it's not bad. I was actually toying with the idea of picking a bottle of that up with an order in the near future.

F. Guy would be just fine if it weren't so sweet. I do like that one as well. It's not complex at all, but you can sure taste the wormwood.

The Lasala, though...woof! That was the last oddball absinthe I bought and will probably be the last.

Old Way may be a guilty pleasure of yours, Oscar, but tell me you didn't actually pay for a bottle of it.

I need to know that the Absinthe Balance of the Universe hasn't shifted that far to the Dark Side.

La Fee. Anyone who knows me knows I have a soft spot for the stuff.

And the only thing that has ever given what could be called a true secondary, beyond the generally better-then-average-pleasantness-drunk of a typical absinthe.

Ooo... a true secondary! and I have been itching to get one of their spoons... the eye... it looks like it follows you around the room... See? Now isn't confession good for the soul?