Sign in to follow this  
Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Local source for Pontarlier glasses & spoons

Hey all,

Found a new local (Seattle area and mail order) source for repro Pontarlier glasses, spoons, and wrapped sugar cubes. A shop in Bellevue now stocks the Cristallerie la Rochere, Pontarlier repro glasses ($9.00 ea) and stainless "les fleches" absinthe spoons ($12.00 ea). They also have small packages of the wrapped French sugar cubes (expensive, $2.50 for about ten wrapped cubes). Nice people too. I spoke to a nice person there (invited her to check us out) and told her I would put a shameless plug for us local WWS folks. The shop is:

Mais Oui

1075 Bellevue Way NE

Bellevue, WA

(425) 451-0585

www.maisoui.net

Perhaps our mighty admin might add this store to our resources page?

Okay, I just got back from there...who snatched the last three Pontarlier glasses? I know Hiram was there earlier, and he didn't get them, neither.

I like the wrapped sugar cubes. I've been looking for "Daddy" cubes for awhile.

who snatched the last three Pontarlier glasses?
I don't know, but I'm going to hunt the bastard down and take them from him.

Brigette sold them to him because she thought he was the guy they were saving them for. AARRGH! They'll be getting more in April, as well as the swirl glasses in glass and crystal. They still have a butt-load of spoons though, for $12.

I also turned her on to Phil and told her about the hand-blown glasses, fountains and other spoons and stuff, all of which she seemed interested in carrying if they'd sell. Being able to buy this stuff locally will be more betterer. Molly (the owner) is super nice and totally interested in absinthe and WS. We chatted for over an hour.

She offered to link us from her site, but I declined for now. They may be coming to the next event.

Thanks again to Zman for this amazing find!

I don't want to go too high profile too fast. If we get too many people all at once without being selective, it's harder to assure discretion. That's why I closed the doors a few weeks ago.

My first impulse was all "Yeah! That'd be cool!" But then I thought about it.

Although I guess it wouldn't be any different than links on FV and Oxy's and Markus's. And they are a Local Shop.

Let me sleep on it.

Edited by Hiram

No, we don't have the Pontarlier glases or the spoons on the Mais oui! website. Frankly, before last week we were going to discontinue them! They literally sat here for a year, that is, until last week. However, due to overwhelming response, we will be ordering them for delivery in April. We are also ordering the Torsade glasses, the ones Hiram saw in the La Rochere catalog when he visited us. Unfortunately, the Pontarlier glasses are all sold out right now. We do have the Perigord glasses, if you are desperate...

I travel to France a few times a year and will be on the lookout for antique glasses and accessories. One never knows what they will find in a Saturday Antique Market in the South of France.

Thanks Molly. You're our new best friend.

Folks, the "Torsade" glasses are the ones we all know simply as the "swirl" glasses.

Molly also has a few very nice, high-quality pastis glasses as well as the Perigord line.

Oh, and lots of other killer stuff du Francais.

... We are also ordering the Torsade glasses, the ones Hiram saw in the La Rochere catalog when he visited us....

I believe those are the ones we call "Swirl" glasses.

edit: Hiram "beat me" to it.

Edited by Jack B

Jack,

Did you try the India Tree cubes? I came across a source here in Atlanta and considered buying a package. I'm not that keen on the added sugar (so far) in the absinthes I've tried, but would like a nice cube selection for when I have guests over for a tasting... I figure I ought to be ready for an invitation when my next shipment from across the pond shows up.

Jack,

I'd be glad to send a box or two out your way. If nothing else, you could take them to the next WS event for a side-by-side with other favorites.