Hunnibunni

My 1st absinthe-related dissapointment

We stopped by the Old Absinthe house last week while in NOLA to sit & have a taste of the wannabe (we didn't even think to bring our own & ask for a mix -next time....) in the original place.

I was absolutely horrified when the barkeep LIT the sugar cube. I cried out for her to stop but it was too late- sugar was flaming. Why? We're not frat kids (if we were we'd had been across the street @ The Frat House!) .

I was disappointed that even after conversation with her that she assumed we were looking for a cheap thrill. Her condescending look after I laughingly told her I was a purist was not appreciated.

I felt dirty.

Hi Hunnibunni

Some people are to closed minded to learn, or even listen. You were right and she was wrong. The world abounds with closed minded fools don't let them get you down.

:cheers: TR.

Is it really true that there's a drinking establishment across the street called The Frat House? Cuz then they're gonna hafta agree on what absinth/e ritual goes where and advise customers appropriately.

Sad. In their history section: "As it turns out, Absinthe was indeed a dangerous substance, as the wormwood used for making it had narcotic properties. The consumption of Absinthe was associated with hallucinations, delirium, madness and even death. It is further rumored that Jack the Ripper, an unknown killer of a number of prostitutes in 1888, went mad through his addiction of Absinthe."

This is truly disheartening. I've never had the pleasure to visit New Orleans, though my wife has on several occasions. One would think a historical landmark like that would have their facts straight. I guess the long, drawn out truth isn't as big a draw as murder, death and hallucination. :thumbdown:

Is Ted still in New Orleans? I am suprised that such a poorly researched history(or obviously embellished one, as precenphix has pointed out) has not been met with some kind of protest from him or others in the area.

What is sad is the fact that they don't need to sensationalize the facts to get a draw. Knowing that Mark Twain drank there without knowing anything about absinthe would get me in the door. Of course, it would be hard to pass up the Frat House. I could sure go for a rolling rock.

Is it really true that there's a drinking establishment across the street called The Frat House? Cuz then they're gonna hafta agree on what absinth/e ritual goes where and advise customers appropriately.

I cant recollect what was there before but it has a huge banner wrapping around the entire building. Sadly yes- while sipping our "French Drip" (made with herbsaint) our view was of The Frat House.

Old Absinthe House's drink menu & "literature" encourages the "narcotic" connection.

blah blah blah "....For those not in the know, Absinthe is a liquor created with ... wormwood which had narcotic properties....which made it both popular and deadly- creating a hazy drunken stupor replete with hallucinations and threat of madness..."

Such a shame.

Edited by Hunnibunni

Nothing goes together better than an old building and a moltov cocktail. I wonder if they pay extra insurance for participating in stupid rituals?

If this was 100 years ago the bar tender probably would have received a face full of flaming drink. I think many of the drunken professors would have considered a bar tender preparing the drink for them as an insult.

You can't really blame the waitress if she's not told how to properly prepare the cocktail. What miffs me is the mention of "narcotic" in the same breath as "absinthe". It's more bad press in a place that should damn straight have it right.

If they wanted to keep some of that myth in there, it'd be nice to at least add an update that negates this "finding" with the real reasons behind the ban - lost wine sales in Europe, adulterants in inferior absinthe thanks to zero quality control and at the very least, an early form of prohibition to sober up the masses from the plague of quickly, cheaply achieved alcoholism.

But like I said, that's a long, drawn out story...who wants to read a novel while browsing Creole cuisine? To have a true history lesson mapped out, you'd have to include the whole deal -- including why it was banned.

From where we stand, it shouldn't have been. It's still illegal here in most ways, right? So now a whole other section of information would have to be included explaining why the ban was just an unfortunate misunderstanding due to the lack of technology and the US following suit with the rest of the world. The Old Absinthe House would be a nice venue to have this argument discussed. However, I'm doubtful they'd be willing to take up a cross for the cause.

Where the hell is Ted? There's plenty of others on this forum and others who have enough pull to make some changes in that joint...at least some influence. I say send in one of the natives, though. It just doesn't seem right that a place that's one of the American hubs of this group's credo can disseminate false information. It makes absinthe look worse than it already does when presented in this fashion at a legitimate, historical establishment associated with the drink's heyday. :nono:

/me steps off soapbox

Edited by precenphix

Knew he could play guitar, but I had no idea he toured with the B'52s. ;)

Unless it is another reference in which I am unfamiliar, which is highly likely.

Sad. In their history section: "As it turns out, Absinthe was indeed a dangerous substance, as the wormwood used for making it had narcotic properties. The consumption of Absinthe was associated with hallucinations, delirium, madness and even death. It is further rumored that Jack the Ripper, an unknown killer of a number of prostitutes in 1888, went mad through his addiction of Absinthe."
Sounds like something worthy enough to be included here. ;)

Ted the “Absinthe Avenger”. Ha!

Well, not exactly. Maybe not at all. But definitely Ted the "Very Public Figure" in the absinthe community who happens to be a NO native. I just figured I'd save Hiram, Oxy, yourself (who I'd very much like to meet, BTW...you sound like a hell of a nice & hospitable guy from what I've heard and the pictures I've seen from gatherings, despite your label of Mr. Pissy and apparent dislike of everything) or anyone else out of town with knowledge and clout the trip.

*Caution: Beware of horrible run-on sentence.*

Edited by precenphix

No, in real life I’m a really nasty person. Ask anyone who’s met me they will tell you stories that will make your skin crawl. I’m the kind of person that people tell stories around campfires about. I’m a very bad man. I hope to meet you some day also. :cheers:

Sounds like all their research on absinthe came from the movie From Hell. Don't you have to positively identify Jack The Ripper before you begin to explain why he committed the murders?

No, in real life I’m a really nasty person. Ask anyone who’s met me they will tell you stories that will make your skin crawl. I’m the kind of person that people tell stories around campfires about. I’m a very bad man.

It must of been all that absinthe you drank as a child. :cheers:

No, in real life I’m a really nasty person. Ask anyone who’s met me they will tell you stories that will make your skin crawl. I’m the kind of person that people tell stories around campfires about. I’m a very bad man.

Jack, is that you? :shock:

Prolly. That's really me in my avatar, what happened to me?
Who knows, but it probably wasn't a case of being deprived of Christmas booty.

*Coughs*

Perhaps ye Olde Absinthe House should make sure that they train their staff to properly serve drinks.

Ted my not be on tour with the B-52's, but Oscar used to be housemates with Ricky Wilson on Ruth Street.

Ask anyone who’s met me they will tell you stories that will make your skin crawl. I’m the kind of person that people tell stories around campfires about. I’m a very bad man.

I've seen him yell "Fire!" in a retirement home...