Preacher

Blood sausage

A legend says that blood sausage was invented in a bet between two Bavarian butchers drunk on absinthe during the 14th century. Homer's Odyssey from Ancient Greece says that "As when a man besides a great fire has filled a sausage with fat and blood and turns it this way and that and is very eager to get it quickly roasted...".

"...and swiftly eaten, so as not to let the flavor ruin the experience of choking down such a monstrosity." I'm pretty sure Homer says something about that, too. He must have thought about it.

Blood sausage is delicious. Try it with a splash of whisky. Really, right on the sausage.

If it's offal, I'll eat it. :)

Scrapple, anyone? Despite what's in it, it's bloody delicious with your greasy-spoon diner breakfast.

Edited by precenphix

If it's offal, I'll eat it. :)

:sarc:

You got some guts to say that !

I like the Spanish Morcellia (sp ?) its seasoned a but stronger and has about 30% rice in the filling.

I remember as a kid helping grandma make head cheese. Another of those love it or hate it delicacies.

I remember as a kid helping grandma make head cheese. Another of those love it or hate it delicacies.

The brawn of a statement like that!

I luv scrapple or puddin' as we call it down South. It's what grits are for.

I had grits for the first time when I was down in your neck of the woods...the most recent time, actually. They're not anything special, but it's palatable. I think I'd have to draw the line with duck's blood soup, however. That's just raw as hell. :puke:

Liver puddin' is great!

In Buffalo, I used to enjoy the Polish/German version, liver dumpling soup.

One bowl of that fatty, starchy goodness would cure anything, especially a bad case of dysentery. :)

I like the Spanish Morcellia (sp ?) its seasoned a but stronger and has about 30% rice in the filling.

Oh yes. Quite good. Here's some that I've found here in the states that is a very good approximation.

That same website sells some of the products used to make the 'Airs', 'Foams' and spherifications with various ingredients from El Bulli (considered one of the best restaurants in the world). If you like experimenting, and love to cook, I suggest trying them out.

Blood sausage? Duck's blood soup? Where's that vampire emoticon?

In Spain, we had a dish that was just a square of gelatinized blood served with onions over it. All I can say, is that it was... interesting. :twitchsmile:

Basically every thing mentioned makes me wanna toss my cookies. The exception being grits- & only if they are homemade- NEVER instant.

Though my husband would be drooling at the whole thread- go figure.

Blood sausage,fried potatoes and scrambled eggs mixed together in a skillet for breakfast. I had a Portuguese friend who made this when we were deer hunting. It was a lot better than I thought it would be.That was 20 years ago and I haven't had any since.

Why is it that more women don't claim to be fond of blood sausage? :devil:

With a spokeswoman like Lorena Bobbit, who needs a big show of numbers? :devil:

Heeey, cut you fingers, and feel the taste :reaper:

It's delicious! Just like non smoked hot dogs with

a taste of rust on the end...

And it gets fun dipping your fingers in ethanole after-

wards :pirate:

And that's why she gets referred to in the plural? :devil:

Never heard that one before.

And now you have taken my innocence.

Hmmm, my edit option vanished....

Well, I suppose some of the blood-sausages can be referred to in the plural...

If the waistline is tight enough,

you could suspect them of being 2 sausages linked together!

I'm guessing the better half got to pick that restaurant. And he's already drooling. B)

I'm tellin' ya, a shot of whisky right on it and a beer to wash it all down. Mmm.

Some years ago I was on a soccer team with some friends from work, it was an all asian league,

they were a bunch of rough & nasty bastards, but that's not my point.

All the wives and girlfriends of the players would come to the games and sit together,

during the 2nd half they would start putting out a ton of food and starting up grills,

we always had a great feast after matches.

One time they made this amazing soup, I always ate first and asked after.

This soup was dayglo green and had bits of "meats" and veggies in it.

The base was a spicy curry stock and the "meats" were tripe and blood sausage.

I must say, it was pretty damn tasty.

I also liked the grilled corn with a coconut glaze brushed on it, mmm...