A doctors opinion :-)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Preacher

Preacher

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:08 AM

A retired neurosurgeon explains the myths behind the green fairy and what draws him to this forbidden fruit :-)

Have a look:

;-)

I hope the docs will soon give us a prescription for absinthe...

#2 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:54 AM

It's a great little film. :cheers:

And I think this is the third time it's been linked to from the forum, that I know about. ;)

#3 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:36 AM

Mebbe a sticky for "absinthe on youtube"? There must be about a dozen we could list, if we include good old jmfranc that is.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#4 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

I'll give you all an rx for absinthe, just as soon as us psychologist get rx privileges in STL, MO. I hear we already have them in NM! :cheers:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#5 Preacher

Preacher

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:04 PM

All good things are 3 :-D

Hm, I better put my own psycho movies in here...

#6 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:49 PM

I hope the docs will soon give us a prescription for absinthe...

Oh, let me look for my prescription pad.....
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns
"Leave the gun. Take the Rossoni" - Peter Clemenzza
"Give me wormwood, or give me death!" - Patrick Henrry
"I find your lack of louche....disturbing" - James Earl Jjones
"No maceration without distillation!" - Reverend Jonathan Mayhhew
"It is by absinthe alone I set my mind in motion" - Frank Herrbert

#7 kuchenhure

kuchenhure

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:31 PM

That was a neat little video.
:cheers:

#8 existone

existone

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:08 PM

That video was very interesting, however the only thing I couldn't stop looking at in the video was his lazy eye hahaha. I don't know why.

Edited by existone, 21 December 2007 - 01:09 PM.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

--Churchill

#9 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:10 PM

Sorry if this really doesn't have anything to do with the video, but after reading the title I posed myself with this question.
I wonder how long it will be until absinthe is pushed as an "Antioxidant Powerhouse!". Has anyone done any research on this? One would imagine that liquors with a large herb profile would have a good bit of antioxidants in them, unless they are somehow destroyed by the distillation process. I know next to nothing on the subject, perhaps a more experienced member could fill us in?
"Babies belong in this lake, go ahead, throw him in!" said the Baby Eating Monster that lives in the lake.

#10 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:20 PM

All I know is that since I started drinking absinthe regularly, my hair had more body and luster plus my nails seemed stronger. A prescription would be nice.

Okay, I made it up. I'm working on a sense of humor. ;)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#11 existone

existone

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:21 PM

There was something I read a while back about the antioxidant properties of wormwood and it curing heartburn or something.... Let me see if I can dig up the link. On the other hand, I don't think any "elixir" with the ABV of absinthe would qualify be pushed as an "antioxidant powerhouse" so to speak.

Edit: The article is here, but it was about A. Asiatica, if this is the same article that I read (it seems like the one I read was more recent.)

Edited by existone, 21 December 2007 - 03:24 PM.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

--Churchill

#12 Wrayalien

Wrayalien

Gone Star Trekkin'

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:41 AM

:cheers: Ever since I started drinking Absinthe the ....... in my digestive system have been acting rather ........ and I am able to have more regular .......... along with a much more sustained ....... this coupled with a rather large and stronger ......... I can only say that I am so thrilled to be able to once again imbibe the Green Fairy! Now if I can get Molly to get on the trapeze and swirl around the apartment :yahoo:
Don't listen to those who would water down ahhh burn up the true history of absinthe, rather research the facts to determine the significance of the Green Fairy. Those who can't do it themselves, get their kicks trying to undermine those who can.

#13 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,826 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:30 AM

Actually the most amusing thing I ever came across was the ingredient listings for some of the natural "cleansing" products out there. Most of them include wormwood, cloves, and a number of others that I don't dare mention because I don't remember them specifically. Most of them were either found in good old Absinthe and HBP (I'm sure there are more examples, but these are the only two that I know of for certain). I know there have been references here on WS about Wormwood's aid in digestive health before, but I don't remember where. Anyway, all that has been said before, in fewer words and by people who are more well informed in the issue.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#14 Trid

Trid

Ooo Shiny!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:24 PM

I'll give you all an rx for absinthe, just as soon as us psychologist get rx privileges in STL, MO. I hear we already have them in NM! :cheers:

Sweet...I could use my flex spending account to pay for it. Pre-tax absinthe. How awesome would THAT be?
Some people are like slinkies....not really useful for anything, but you can't help but to smile when you see them tumbling down a flight of stairs.

#15 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:40 PM

That's good thinkin'! :cheers:

#16 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:11 PM

It's the absinthe talking!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#17 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,826 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:22 PM

jcpphd- It took me a while to get that. I've been seeing Dr. Yueh for several months now and the psychological benefits have been brilliant. ;)

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#18 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:13 AM

Maybe I could pioneer a new treatment--absinthe therapy. I'd have 'em lined up at my door 5 deep!
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association