Preacher

Another newcomer into this society :-)

Hi everybody,

An introduction of myself... Hm... I thought that having the la Fée Verte on my shoulder, and living in the Arctic, was enough description of myself...

But, ok, here we go. I am a lucky bastard who lives in northern Norway. Just like in the States (and MANY other places on this tiny planet Tellus) there are HUGE regulations about what kind of alcohol the government will allow you to drink. But, as everywhere else, the rules are quite ok to bend a bit :o)

So, here we are not allowed to import alcohol stronger than 60%. But in these remote areas, people have sorted out how to make stronger "water" themselves :-) And, wormwood... OH, the government is holding their HUGE eyes to forbid those things. BUT, it's always nice to be the best friend to the local healt food dealer ;-)

In my private life I work as a biologist, and I live in a small village with only 150 inhabitants. The nearest shopping centre is 85 miles away. The good thing is that everybody knows everybody, and the during the summer loads of rich Germans are visiting this place. Mainly to see the northernmost lighthouse on main land on Earth (Slettnes Lighthouse).

So, if anybody are visiting this place, please look me up, and I am (nearly) always in a good mood for sharing a glass of absinthe =)

Welcome, Preacher!

I just gotta ask: are you there by choice? ;)

And the government restricting the ethanol to 60%! I figure that concentration just begins to act as an antifreeze in such northern climes. Any particular absinthe favorites? Do the flying monkeys make it up there or do you have to use more creative ways to import the green fairy?

Ahoj and welcome! :cheers:

I think my village may still be smaller than yours (there has been a number of births lately, so I'm not so sure). But the shopping is definitely closer. And the rich Germans buzz right through here looking for more interesting destinations, fortunately.

Welcome!

Now I really want to visit, and I'm not even interested in the lighthouse even though I bet it's very cool.

I really fail to see how the government can restrict alcohol to 60% abv. In that climate that will barely keep you warm!

Send picture if you can.

:cheers:

WOW, what a warm hello from loads of people =)

**looking at the time and date in Norway = friday = soon evening = soon the green stuff = soon lifting my glass for all of you**

Then back to answer some questions:

First of all I live up here in the Arctic by choice of course :-D It's sooo brilliand and relaxing. Well, the winter, and several months of total darkness, will of course affect a few people. For me that is just one out of many adventures in life :-)

It's a pity that the government are restricting the etanol to 60% in my country. On the other side, it's ok too. It makes the real absinthe taste even better when travelling. Something I do quite a lot in my job.

My favourite absinthe have the strange name Absinthe Abisinthe Amer. And as they write in one commercial site: "This Absinthe represents what many Absintheurs have waited for! Amer is an distilled Absinthe with the triple amount of wormwood. Intensive louche, intensive effect." In Norway I mostly drink Absente 55.

So, unfortunately I am not into any illegal import of absinthe ;-) I have to survive with what the government gives us. We are still belonging to the stone age in this country, where we have to go to special stores to get strong alcohol too... We are not even a member of EU :-)

BUT, thank you again for all the greetings. We keep in touch inside the forums ;-)

-Preacher-

PS! Hiram, where did you learn that Norwegian ;-)

Velkommen, nabo! :cheers: Alltid trevligt att se fler nordbor. Du är så vitt jag vet den förste norrmannen här! :)

Oh, and besides that - what did you do with that glass of Père Kermann's that you're holding in your avatar?

WOW...and here I thought I was the only Norwegian on this forum. I have never spoken up because of the preponderance of Sweedes and Danes. Now I have some backup!

Welcome from the Kildahls of Tvedestrand!

Haha =) So many kind people in here! And a few threatened species belonging to the Scandinavian race too! Puh, nice to know that I am not alone as a Norwegian here though :-p We, who by many people ar regarded as a stone age people eating old cheese, fish conserved in lye, stockfish, using cheese slicers, whale hunting and many many more horrible things!!! Kjempehyggelig med hilsener fra dere :-) Hm, it seems like we have to advertise more about this forum in our small countries ^^

Then the question about Père Kermann. Mmmmmh, the taste was just magnificent. Bought it in Finland =) The only "bummer" is that the drink is not turning white after adding water :-( I think that is some of the symbolism in drinking absinthe, the way the drink shift from green to milky white is like a sign of the entry of the la Fee Verte ;-) But I should keep my mouth shut. Absinthe IS absinthe in either way :-)

Kommer noen av dere til Finnmark, så besøk oss på Slettnes Fyr :-D

Keep going strong everybody :cheers:

Velkommen til!

I wouldn't call Pere Kermann absinthe. If it doesn't louche (the turning cloudy thing), that's a hint (apart from the taste) that it contains little or no anise, and without anise, it ain't absinthe.

The Lemercier Abisinthe ... well, it was considered OK, when it came out, and you could say that it still is, but a lot has happened, and there is better stuff out there. Are you sure you cannot order through the internet? Here in DK, we have no problems doing so, even though it technically is not entirely legal if (when) we forget to notify the tax authorities. But then again, we're in the EU, and packages from Germany or Britain are rarely the subject of much attention.

Slettnes Fyr? Damn, I don't think I have ever been further north than Beitostølen. Could be fun to go up there once.

Gertz: I agree with you, Père Kermann’s Absinthe is not the "real" stuff. Unfortunately I was holding on to that Père bottle doing the small photo session for my avatar :-p

About ordering absinthe from internet, I will be punished by law if I import anything containing more than 60% alcohol to Norway. So I better go travelling and live a bohemian life in other countries as often as possible =) In Norway I am more or less stuck to the Absente 55 ;-) But of course, there are many other mild absinthe types to buy out there ;-) So, I might try one of those fine absinthe sites on internet later on :-)

Beitostølen :-D Well-well, a nice place anyway ;-)

:cheers: