gfpoet

Question and opinion needed

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bother everyone, but I need some advice about exposing new people to Absinthe. I'm planning on having a Happy hour this week and of course, Absinthe will be there. Problem is people I work with do not know anything about Absinthe. So, this is what I was going to do:

Send an email invite and within the email talk a little bit about it and attach theFAQ link from this website to give them more information. I will also be limiting each person to 2 glasses because I do not want to deplete my entire stock. Problem is, theFAQ talks about Absinthe being illegal in the US. I don't know how the people I work with will take that once they read about it.

So do I or don't I attach the link????

Maybe I'm just being to careful or cautious I do not know.

Any advice would be helpful.

Once again, sorry to bother everyone with trivial matters!!

My advice would be not to link. I would plan on having "normal" (non-absinthe) cocktails available, and drink absinthe yourself. The ritual involved will spark plenty of interest, and you can use the opportunity to let people try out the absinthe and explain the history of it, including the fact that it is illegal to import it. Thus, each of your guests can decide for themselves if they wish to imbibe of the absinthe. Point anyone who wants further information to WS.

Good advice. Best to be matter of fact about the presence of absinthe. Those who are interested will find it and of course need a crash course on preparation 101. Having a fountain will help.

I might recommend also having some printouts of theFAQ handy so that folks can read for themselves about it right then.

I've run into cases where I've offered somebody Absinthe and they go all whacky on me saying how poisionous it is, sometimes nothing I "say" can convince them otherwise, because they've clearly "read" about how dangerous it is.

Hi gfpoet

I've done my research on this so here's the facts. Asinthe is not illegal to import nor is it illegal to own. It's only illegal to sell in the U.S.

Internet sales are the loop hole. Because it's not sold in the U.S. no laws are broken. Shipping and possession in the U.S. is real cool and legal.

I also agree with everyone on how to introduce absinthe to the party.

cheers

Edited by TR. WILLY

It seems to me that most folks have heard of the drink and myths. What I've done is get into discussions about it before ever bringing a bottle out. Some are very narrow minded and some actually have read about it. Most are curious.

Based on how the discussions go will dictate to me what I want to share. My fountain is on a shelf in the den next to a couple vintage east glasses and a few neat little sampling glasses. It looks interesting. People ask what they are used for. No pressure that way. Let them think it's their idea and everybody wins.

I agree with all the suggestions above. This is just how I "play" the game at my house. The small glasses have really helped me by being able to offer a variety without getting crazy. Also, I never serve bad absinthe. JMO

Relax, it'll be just fine. :cheers:

I've done my research on this so here's the facts. Asinthe is not illegal to import nor is it illegal to own. It's only illegal to sell in the U.S.

I don't know about "Asinthe" but I'm pretty sure Absinthe is illegal to import, ask anyone who has sweated over a delayed package. ;)

I might recommend also having some printouts of theFAQ handy so that folks can read for themselves about it right then. ...I've run into cases where I've offered somebody Absinthe and they go all whacky on me saying how poisionous it is

A good idea along with the others.

I've ran into this too, which is why I'm sometimes hesitant to share my hobbies with everyone. Sometimes I don't feel like doing mythbusting to someone who seems to view hollywood or legends as absolute truth.

You should smash all those urban legends swarming from every hole and show them the right way.

I like the "no-pressure"'s OMG_Bill's style. People need to be educated. But the other problems you are facing with vermins and such I can only send my Polish sympathy, hopefully one day they will be over :cheers: I do not know, too what "Asinthe" is but must be something too waered I bet.

Surement, Mindshifter, surement :cheers: Very nice poster you have. Thanks. Maybe mine for you is not that militant, but it was that army's favourite tipple: otherwise why "production polonaise" would have been used?

post-1144-1176328389_thumb.jpg

I have been having a few Absintheur parties at My place, and how I got some people interested in it was by just drinking absinthe while others are drinking beer. Like what others have said, the ritual alone attracts interest in the subject. Now trying to get others to order their own absinthe is tricky all in its self. ;)

Edited by Stephen

I don't know about "Asinthe" but I'm pretty sure Absinthe is illegal to import, ask anyone who has sweated over a delayed package. ;)

O.k I missed a key and Absinthe is legal to import for personal consummation. Online sales are the loop hole to the law. I will return with the proper facts to back up my statement. I know I read it.

I sent 2 e-mails 1 to Markus and 1 to LDF ,let them state the definitive. Not everyone agrees some say it's legal to buy and sell in the U.S., some say it's totaly illegal. Not everyone says the same thing. I defer to Markus & LDF

Edited by TR. WILLY

hmmmmm... Still don't think I agree. If it's legal to import for personal comsumption, then packages wouldn't get sniped by customs. Next time you get an order, check your slip.

Customs agents at the gates at airports will also confiscate the bottles if they know it's absinthe.

Online sales technically aren't legal as well, but unless the government censors websites, there's not much they will be able to do about it.

I find that most people have heard of absinthe (they've read Hemingway or have seen Coppola's Dracula, Eurotrip, etc.), but many people think it's an illicit drug and most aren't aware that it's available today. Some know someone who brought a bottle back from Europe, possibley Eastern European swill.

Once you set up a fountain and start laying a spoons on glasses, most people are completely fascinated and will want to try it.

Yes, indeed, that has been my experience, too. When the uninformed ask about the legalities, I emphasize that only a very minor part of absinthe is a FDA banned substance. Perhaps that's only so much semantics but I disagree. If a package was stopped, would I be arrested or even ticketed? I don't think so. That's not very illegal to me.

Absinthe is about the same as bringing in european soda or liquor with FDA banned dyes the only difference is customs lists it specifically (why they do, they don't know). Which technically makes plenty of artificially colored products double banned.

Markus sent me this wedsite http://www.cfsan.gov/~dms/qa-ind4a.hmtml

What guidance does FDA have for manufacturers of Alcoholic Beverages?

Heres the important sentence. The importation of absinth (there spelling not mine)and any other liquors or liqueurs that contain an excess of Artemisia absinthium is prohibited.

I was wrong,and I stand corrected. my apologies to gfpoet.

Willy with my slice of humble pie out

Heres the important sentence. The importation of absinth (there spelling not mine)and any other liquors or liqueurs that contain an excess of Artemisia absinthium is prohibited.

Ah, but ask them what an "excess" is and they are clueless and point you to the FDA. The FDA then wonders what you are talking about because you can have a whole truckload of A.A. in your liquor as long as it contains no thujone.

Hi Shabba(post#21)

I did, but since some sites vary and I did read my mis information on a site. My hope was that Markus & LDF would agree more with my view.That didn't happen, more proof of my mistake.

So since honesty is the flavor of the evening you are being pissy. Because I stood by my word and did not shirk from both my statements. Although the import of your post that I should have kept it with the society is understood. One thing is certan I will check my facts more carefully.

Hi Ari(post#22)

I agree, what do they mean by excess. but I said I would stand behind what markus said and his word is prohibited. Besides if it's prohibited why do they let it through at all. all they have to is check the internet,make a list of all the vendors. then check there packages.

Edited by TR. WILLY

...some sites vary...

I should have kept it with the society is understood.

My appologies if I came across as pissy. I didn't want to seem that way, hence the disclaimer. I was merely pointing out one of the best sources on the internet for facts on absinthe was at your fingertips.

It's not that you should have 'kept it with the society', or that some sites vary. It's that the specific U.S. laws surrounding the legality of the importation of absinthe were cited in the FAQ, which gave a definitive answer to the contrary of your original statement.

I'm not implying that you a traitor or anything for going outside the WS. In fact, it's encouraged to do your own research.

And as for your question to Ari, it's not that they are making a conscious effort to let some through and detain some others, it's more than most packages aren't inspected as closely as you may think they are. The U.S. customs system is totally outdated and undermanned. A perfect example : Only 3% of the shipping containers that come into U.S. ports are inspected. That's only one of many examples.

Hi Shabba(post#24)

Accepted and understood,thank you. We basically agree on all points. Traitor or anything like that never entered my mind.I just felt that you meant the society is about Absinthe and highly respected. That in certain situations,this being one of them. I'd be well served as a member to stay in house because what I need is here.

As to Ari and others I think they were looking to be supportive which I appreciate. O.k. I have a half glass of La Ptite calling to me and I must answer.

Cheers to all

TR. :cheers: