printmkr

Italian Absinthe?

In my never-ending quest to work in absinthe for any social situation, I am looking for thoughts or recommendations on Italian absinthe. I have been invited to an Italian dinner, and would like to bring along my beverage of choice, but also want to stick with the program. I did some googling, and found a few mentions of Italian absinthes, but, to quote Monty Python, the "reviews were less than enthusiastic -- in fact they gave it a right good padding!"

I can only think of one Italian absinthe: Caselli

The fact that it is blue in color should be a clear warning to stay away. ;)

Maybe a nice Italian pastis would be a better choice of beverage.

Sambuca, Strega, Fernet Branca and other alike will not approximate absinthe but might suggest something in the right direction, including those beverages that do not necessarily must be made in Italy but should be sold there. If alandia rates Caselli as the best Italian absinthe, it definitely means that it will never be even good.

Yes, I mean, to my knowledge there are very few Italian choices to choose from, with the drinkable ones being even fewer.

This ought to be interesting. Isn't, er...the "H" one, um, Heugot(sp?) from Italy? That's probably the wrong spelling anyway, possibly not even a real absinthe.

Aaron

Haha, nevermind. Andorra's not even close to Italy, oops.

Ok, well, one more down. Slim pickins' in Italy.

Aaron

If you do decide to go the Andorran absinthe route, Larsand would be a much better choice, however.

Just in case it's available in Italy, I mean. :)

Andorra's not even close to Italy, oops.
And it's about the size of Seattle.

The only brand of assenzio I've had is the stuff made by the Pastiglie Leone folks, Absinthium. It's not horrible as a drink, but it's not what most of us look for in an absinthe. If you like limoncello, you're in luck, because this stuff has the melissa note right up front, BAM! It reminded me of citronella. It might make a decent aperitif for an Italian meal.

Seen Dedo and some other Italian Absinthe during a tour in Rome with friends last week. The new stuff was made in Italy but there was no "Farom" anywhere on it. It was a "anti freeze" green and was a mix per the label so no samples were had.

Some of the latest stuff around is a "Dr. Hyde" same color, bottle and spoon of what use to be Xenta a year or so ago, SSDD.

The Leone is ok but the citronella/melissa is somewhat strong. Try some of the better grappa's for a after dinner, get some that have been aged in a sherry or port barrel for a while, they should have a amber color to them. Beware the white lightening grappa that some restaurants push, ask for a drink menu or go visit the bar to see what they have and choose a amber grappa.

I've tried this grappa and found it to be outstanding (the bottle lasted only a week....)

Sibona

:cheers:

I'm with Hiram and Rabelais on the Leone. If almost everyone has run into an "anise bomb" or "wormwood bomb" along the way, then the Leone is a bonafide "lemon bomb", no pun intended... If the folks at Pastiglie Leone could tone down the harsh aftertaste, it would make an interesting alternative absinthe for your collection. Anyone know if there are more recent production runs that are more palette friendly?