Bluescat

What are you cooking tonight?

I don't think we have an ovary festival but I'll let you know.

The Testical Festival is about 15 miles east of Missoula, a college town. I've never been but I understand it's quite the party. I have, however, had rocky mountain oysters in San Antonio at the Folk Life Festival. It was the beginning of my second divorce. Didn't tell my then husband what he was eating. :harhar:

Edited by Attack Accountant

I've been to Missoula twice. Eh. Not bad. I spend my life in college towns, so I try to find something in each that stands out. I guess now I know what to look for next time I am there.

Testicles. Fair nuff.

Gimpy makes a darn good point (no, serious) about the tomatoes. I had a discussion with a meddlin' historian recently about that, and other food history sundries.

Imagine the following-

Italy without tomatoes, pasta sauce, or noodles.

Ireland without potatoes.

India/Thailand/China/Korea without chilis.

The Swiss/Germans without chocolate.

The Sioux without horses.

The Iroquois without a tomahawk.

Kay, picturing it? Before 1492, none of them had any of it. Frankly, before 1580ish, 90% of that wasn't known by the cultures that we most often associate them with. And that only scratches the tiniest of surfaces. It goes on and on. And for MOST of those foodstuffs and goods, they freaked the heck out of the new cultures the first time they saw it. Some adopted quicker then others, and in over half, it was the lowest of the low food, eaten by only the most destitute and helpless/hopeless.

Amazing how things change.

So, Nymph... you'll be eating testicles in no time.

If you can get fresh calamari, (said recipe) is really good.
Sounds very tasty. I think I can get a hot plate in my room at the Terrace this weekend.

So the question remains. Does calamari contain the same whatever-it-is that shellfish does that makes so many people take a trip to the hospital after a Surf 'n Turf dinner?
I'm guessing, most definately.

Absomphe: What I really want from my lovers is deep, spiritual conversation.

You don't belive that, do you?

Me either.

Back to cooking, I'm smacking my lips over home cooked turkey pot pie. MMMMMMM

So the question remains. Does calamari contain the same whatever-it-is that shellfish does that makes so many people take a trip to the hospital after a Surf 'n Turf dinner?

I'm guessing, most definately.

Not always. I can't even be in the same room where crustaceans are being cooked but I could almost eat my weight of oysters, clams and calimari.

Thanks, T. That is way more information than my doc ever gave me!

As I said before, I haven't had even the smallest hint of a problem with clams. I avoid mussles because they tast too "fishy" for me. I have seen luscious-looking scallops and wanted to try them, but been very afraid.

For me, scallops are a regular cooking ingredient. I love 'em and never had the slightest problem. If your allergies are anything like mine, I'd know if something was friendly or not the moment it hit my plate (not my palate). Be careful. ;)

tonight will be a nice pork tenderloin with a cajun-apricot glaze, accompanied by risotto and steamed broccoli.

as this is my friday.. and its been a LONG week.. I am endulging myself in Lucid until I cant anymore.

Salute!! :yahoo:

(yeah... Lucid is quite fine for moments such as these)

Indian tacos.

You may have had them at a pow wow?

Basically, it's frybread topped with chili and beans, lettuce, tomato, onions, cheese, and tons of Pace.

Has to be Pace.

It's written that way in our treaties.

Peanut butter spread on a tortilla.

If I were a chef at a "New American" restaurant I would surely get rave reviews.

I'm sorry, I would have to pour rum and maple syrup on it before those reviews poured in.

I'll be preparing broiled tilapia w/ butter, garlic, lemon & herbs, with a rice pilaf.

I like a good fish dinner to accompany my blanches

My peppers are finally ripening.

I made two quarts of hab sauce today. 30 Habs and other assorted peppers. The large ones got smoked on the grill with apple wood.

Small_Pick-a-pepper.JPG

Small_Smoked_Peppers.JPG

I just ate over half a jar with potato chips.

I will probably regret it tomrrow.

Small%20DEFCON%205.JPG

Yum-o!

Um-no! :thumbdown: I despise that abrasive, megalomaniacal biotch!!!

But I have to agree with about those peppers, Bill, they look marvelous. :thumbup:

I'm a chicken when it comes to habaneros. I cut the membrane and seeds out. I like the flavor but not too much heat. On the other hand, the jalapeños are pretty hot this year. I counted 30 Habs in this batch of two quarts. Enough to give it some zing even without the seeds.