Bluescat

What are you cooking tonight?

Alyssa and I are having Osso Bucco with grilled eggplant brushed with balsamic vinegar. Sauteed cherry tomatoes with basil. Frozen mango cream.

Cocktails! :cheers:

Alyssa and I are having Osso Bucco with grilled eggplant brushed with balsamic vinegar. Sauteed cherry tomatoes with basil. Frozen mango cream.

Tell us about the cocktails, please, if you remember them?

Tell us about the cocktails, please, if you remember them?

We had lemon drops, and then we drank some vodka straight that was wonderful. It was distilled with honey, and the honey flavor really came through. Then we had some white wine. At the bowling alley (yes, we went Rock-N-Bowling) we had gin and tonics and screwdrivers.

For breakfast the next morning, we had caviar while watching a Vincente Minelli marathon.

Tonight, we had a Jamaican rice and bean dish (cooked in coconut milk) that was out of this world. Recipe will follow shortly.

Grilled chicken with a habanero and honey glaze: cheap and easy.

I'm quite disappointed in baubel and Absomphe for letting the "cheap and easy" comment go for over 24 hours without a one-liner. You're slipping fellas.

Wow, me, too. How's that Phoenix?

You're slipping fellas.

'K.

Y?

But Abs, you missed the obvious... Hyssop Ho's!

But Abs, you missed the obvious... Hyssop Ho's!

Not really, you see, Fennel Ho'™ has been extant for years, so I (or we, actually) were trying to avoid unnecessary repetition...hence Hyssop Hussy™, and Hyssop Harlot™. :)

Carne picada with fresh bell, onion, garlic, and jalapeno. I'm no fan of cooked tomato; I hate pizza and ketchup/catsup/what-have-you.

I hate pizza and ketchup/catsup/what-have-you.[/font]

What do you mean? You don't like pizza with a tomato based sauce or pizza and plain old ketchup? I've never had it with just ketchup and would think it'd leave me droopy sad.

I'd probably gag on pizza and ketchup..

I don't like cooked tomatostuffs. Love tomatoes; once they're cooked, ye've wasted a perfectly good misdefined fruit.

I've only grown to like eating tomatoes as an adult..like, within the last few years. Cooked, more than raw but, just had an iceberg wedge with tomatoes for lunch. Was good!

Used to work at Red Hot & Blue a few years ago... anyone got a good dry rub mix for pork ribs? Theirs was very good and I've been trying to find something comparable for awhile...

This evening, I’m going a different route with steak. I like to call this the “Scarborough Fair” marinade / rub. It actually works better with chicken, but it does just fine with steak as well.

In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup olive oil with equal measures (be liberal with it) of parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme and chopped bay leaves. I actually up the sage and thyme more than the other herbs, but just eyeball it or do as you will to taste. Mix well. Paint on your steak or chicken and let sit refrigerated for 1 to 2 hours.

Follow by either grilling (charcoal works best) or baking chicken / grilling (charcoal, again) or broiling steaks.

When using beef, I would recommend strip steaks. Don’t ruin a filet mignon with this. Large cuts like a London Broil work fine, but it takes a certain amount of skill to get it to taste right on a grill. Broiling would be your friend here as the name indicates.