Bluescat

What are you cooking tonight?

Alright you two (i.e Abs)! :nono:

We are only about 75% raw. I keep increasing that percentage. And every now and then I cheat and eat cheese. That is becoming less frequent, though. It kills my stomache. I can really feel the effects of food in my body now. I can definately see the difference since I have been going raw. My skin looks amazing, my hair is super shiny, and my nails shine like glass (which is really trippy).

My bf claims to be a vegetarian, but I have to keep reminding him that fish is not a vegetable. His kids are both vegan, so it makes preparing meals at home easy. I even make my own nut cheeses and milks.

Thanksgiving was awesome. Butternut squash ravioli, squash medley, corn, salad and apple pie. All 100% vegan, organic and raw.

We are only about 75% raw. I keep increasing that percentage. And every now and then I cheat and eat cheese. That is becoming less frequent, though. It kills my stomache. I can really feel the effects of food in my body now. I can definately see the difference since I have been going raw. My skin looks amazing, my hair is super shiny, and my nails shine like glass (which is really trippy).

My bf claims to be a vegetarian, but I have to keep reminding him that fish is not a vegetable. His kids are both vegan, so it makes preparing meals at home easy. I even make my own nut cheeses and milks.

Thanksgiving was awesome. Butternut squash ravioli, squash medley, corn, salad and apple pie. All 100% vegan, organic and raw.

Super nice!

Although 99% not raw,

we did portabellos w/tomatoes, fresh yummy corn otc, mashed taters, crooknecks with garlic, spinach salad W/hot dressing, and pickled peaches, with baked acorn squashes and sweet potato pie for dessert.

YUM

:thumbup: It took a long time to get around to making it.......and I'm sorry it took us so long........but we finally made Brook's White Beans with Sage. Now that is a very delicious recipe. Glad I made enough for tomorrow too.

Mmmm. That reads good going down in my belly on a cold night! Nice job!

We made a shrimp mold for a short list Christmas party tonight and it turned out to be a pretty big hit. Those Louisiana spices always seem to make a difference.

I took a 3 lb. brisket and put it in a crock put with mushrooms, onions, peppers, a rauch beer, some beef broth, and some onion soup mix. I am super duper buzzed right now, but I set the crock put on a slow long cook time. We'll see what we've got in the morning. :cheers:

At least, youl'll find, a house full smellin' of somethin' oh so fine, Sistuh! Hmmnghhhh. 'Dat sure smells fine nah, yah heya?: "Slurwupabup!" Fast forward to Sunday morning 10am EST.. Ahem. Ahem?

Don't go messin' with no recipe, 'kay?

l

llhh

Izah still salivatin' now sistuh! Youze got to do somtin' fine for us simple folks here, nah! Give us sum kinda chrimmas cheer, in da bess way you can now sissah. We have faiced and trust in you now, heyah?

You be da blessed one!

I'm here to report that my brisket turned out pretty damn good. My only complaint, and I have no one to blame but my drunk ass self for this, is that I should have unplugged the crock pot early this morning so it wouldn't have overcooked a tad. Also, don't taste test your gourmet creations while suffering hard core from a hang over, otherwise the sick feeling and the food's smell will become paired in a nasty way. Oh well, the SO says "More for me!"

My brother came to visit me this past weekend, and since I knew he was comming I picked up a picnic ham (fresh) on monday and dropped it in a 2 gallon ziploc bag along with :

1-1/2 cup Tender Quick Salt

1-1/2 cup sugar

3 crushed cayanne peppers

I let it soak till Friday afternoon, and gave it a dry rub with:

1Tbsp Sage

1Tbsp Garlic powder

1Tbsp Onion Powder

1Tbsp Corriander

2Tbsp paprika

Smoked it over night with apple wood.

Pretty tasty.

Sauteed onions, yellow and orange peppers with chunks of Italian sausage.

I'm trying to stay away from starches and sugars.

Damn, it smells good.... :dribble:

Funny, that's tomorrow night's dinner for us, and I'm getting hungry just reading about it...which is strange considering I just polished of a half a large meatloaf, giant baked spud, and a salad.

At this rate there'll be more of me to love in no time. :thumbdown:

I'm a notoriously bad cook; however, yesterday I made lasagna and didn't burn down the house. I'm proud that the dog didn't vomit when I offered her samples.

I'm a notoriously bad cook; however, yesterday I made lasagna and didn't burn down the house. I'm proud that the dog didn't vomit when I offered her samples.

How hard can it be to peel back the cover and bake for 45 minutes?

Yeah, and besides, Gerald Ford couldn't even walk, and chew gum at the same time, and he managed to become President, so big whoop, Julia Child. :tongue:

Not so much cooking but kitchen hackery-- I saw this edible martini video and caved and got a FoodSaver vacuum sealer today. I already have a temperature controlled bath so I'll be mesing with sous-vide stuff, curious to hear if anybody has worked/played with sous-vide and has any suggestions.

So I had to instant-infuse something-- heated vodka with a broken up cinnamon stick, strained it into a mason jar and dropped in thin Fuji apple slices, a small jar lid dropped in to weigh down the fruit. With the jar sitting open in the FoodSaver canister, it ran through the seal cycle, and just like in the video, it went translucent when I released the seal and the vodka rushed in. Reminded me of a reverse louche, a visual transformation. Super crispy, delicious, maybe a little too alcohol-y-- I'll try more cinnamon and tarter apples to stand up to the vodka next time.

I infused some vodka with a quartered satsuma, sealing and releasing three times to suck the vodka in and out. The satsuma was great, and I'm sipping the vodka on rocks-- tasty, very fresh and bright, strange since there's no "juice"... different flavor when the fruit hasn't been mangled.

Any ideas what would be good infused with absinthe, and vice versa?

After buying a couple new cookbooks, I have decided to get crack-a-lackin' on my sauce work. I have been cooking far too long to have such a scant knowledge of decent sauces, so I spent a good chunk of yesterday working on a few. Started by going back to the basics.

Roux (did a blond, a peanut butter, and a chocolate).

Bechamel

Veloute

Some failures, so successes. I am so out of practice though.

I'll do the darker 'Mothers' later this week, I think.