• Please log in to reply
889 replies to this topic

#61 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:30 PM

Grrrrrr! Blueskitty might need to protect you if we perchance to meet.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#62 MTgrayling

MTgrayling

Thymallus arcticus viridius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:44 PM

http://wormwoodsocie...h...ost&p=82910

We think alike Sonny. Scary for you.
I had my taste buds amputated many years ago after an unfortunate toothbrush accident, any reviews or opinions I give are suspect and should be viewed as utterly useless.

Jeremy Bentham, the Pieta, and a Precious Few Grayling ; by David Quammen

#63 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:14 AM

Had a few clients over to talk money, and so I could cook for them.

Started with a field greens salad with dandelion greens, some rocket, spinach, arugula, radichio, some corn and parmesan croutons. Served with a homemade raspberry vinaigrette.

Main course was dry aged filet mignon topped with shitake mushrooms and a red wine and shallot reduction, smashed red skin potatoes with garlic, butter, and a bit of gorgonzola crumbles, and a side of sauteed snap peas with julienned carrots.

Finished of with a desert of inidivual sized cheesecakes toped with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries.

Wines were a Costieres de Nimes 2004 Rhone Red (from which the reduction was also made), followed by a Galil Mountain Yiron Red (78% Cabernet, 22% Merlot).

I'd never had those two wines before, but both were very pleasant.

As for the steak, I used the Cooks Illustrated method that was mentioned about a week ago. They were the best cooked steaks I've ever made. Oh, and for all of you cooks out there, I can't say enough about the magazine. It's fantastic.

Speaking of steaks:

Attached File  STEAK.JPG   57.75KB   41 downloads

The 37 oz. Porterhouse I ordered at a steak house in Rome. Woof. It was quite tasty.

Bruschetta with rocket and beer from a place on Via Venetto.

Attached File  Bruschetta_at_Il_Peperoni.JPG   65.45KB   46 downloads
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#64 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:25 AM

Being a teacher, I'm a little short on the money but I'd be happy to sit down to that meal, Shabba. I suppose I could pretend to have money...

#65 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:24 AM

You're welcome any time. :cheers: However, aside from the steaks (which were about $15 each), the rest of the meal was very cheap. Even the wine didn't go above $15 per bottle.

And for the steaks, substitute a fresh filet for the dry aged one, and you're cutting out quite a few dollars without sacrificing too much in taste.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#66 Bluescat

Bluescat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:01 PM

I gave this recipe to MT as he had lots of peapods.......but I haven't found a vegetable it doesn't work with. This is too good not to share.......

Chicken with Long Beans and Walnuts

4 servings
Prep: 30 minutes

Ingredients

* 1 12-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
* 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon water
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 8 ounces fresh Chinese long beans*, cut into 4-inch lengths, or 8 ounces fresh whole green beans
* 1 tablespoon cooking oil
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
* 1/2 cup coarsely broken walnuts
* 2 cups hot cooked rice

Directions

1. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.

2. For sauce, in a small bowl stir together hoisin sauce, soy sauce, water, and sugar. Set aside.

3. In a medium saucepan pre-cook long beans, covered, in small amount of boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes (cook whole green beans about 10 minutes) or until crisp-tender. Drain. Set aside.

4. Pour cooking oil into a wok or large skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry garlic in hot oil for 15 seconds. Add onion; stir-fry about 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove onion mixture from the wok.

5. Add walnuts to the hot wok; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. Remove walnuts from the wok.

6. Add chicken to the hot wok; stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until no pink remains. Return onion mixture and walnuts to the wok. Add beans.

7. Stir sauce. Add sauce to the wok. Stir all ingredients together to coat with sauce. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes more or until heated through. Serve immediately over hot cooked rice. Makes 4 servings.
Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify.
- Henry David Thoreau

#67 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:15 AM

I can see that making its way to the dinner menu this week. Thanks, Bluescat!

#68 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:33 AM

Oh yeah! Making that this week too! Sounds delicious!

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#69 hissykitties

hissykitties

Ms. Sassypuss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:19 PM

Tonight was penne pasta with cannellini beans, artichoke hearts, kalamta olives and pesto.
"The less I behave like Whistler's mother the night before, the more I look like her the morning after." ~ Tallulah Bankhead

#70 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:32 AM

Last night was tarts with feta and carmelized onions, a good baguette, some olive tapenade, yuzu preserves, triple cream brie, port salut, peaches, and some chardonnay.
Nothing is simpler than to complete pictures in a superficial sense. Never does one lie so cleverly as then. - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

#71 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:53 AM

Now for last night: I am still going through this girlie cheese meal thing -

I took a wheel of brie, sliced in to layers, in between one layer spread pesto, and in between the other, spread sun dried tomotoes, wrapped in a puff pastry shell and baked until golden. Served with shrimp cocktail, fresh oysters and proseco to drink. Fabulous. Truffles for desert.
Nothing is simpler than to complete pictures in a superficial sense. Never does one lie so cleverly as then. - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

#72 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:23 AM

All of this sounds insanely good. I can't believe how glamorously you guys eat!

Are you all cooking for more than one person? I just can't get into cooking when I'm the only one eating the food.

#73 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:08 AM

I LOOOOVE cooking at any time, for anyone, even just me.

As for AD, that is in NO WAY girlie! That's just plain awesome. I love baked brie, especially how you made it!

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#74 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:42 AM

I HATE cooking. Anyone that eats my cooking hates it too.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#75 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:02 PM

Don't know why, but when I cook for myself I feel sad, like a forlorn single obeying Cosmo magazine's advice to: "Prepare a scrumptious dinner, light some candles, and put on some soft music. After all....you're worth it!" Not that that's bad advice per se, but I can't fuss over myself without simultaneously seeing the whole setup in a cinematic long-shot, and it makes me sad.

It's no sadder, I guess, than eating beans out of a can, although though I DO drizzle my chick peas with excellent olive oil. And mealtime is over with quickly.

Shabba, you and my brother would get along great. Like you, he'd cook if he were single. In his long and happy marriage, he's done most of the cooking because he loves it. And because he loves it, he's a great cook!

#76 Jaded Prole

Jaded Prole

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:28 PM

I like to cook and do most of the cooking at home. I got a new grill and have been grilling on hickory. Lots of hickory smoked black olives too.

#77 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:42 PM

God knows I'd walk barefoot through hot coals for those olives. The best things I've ever eaten!

#78 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

I've never had nor heard of them. That good?
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#79 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:04 PM

Cooking is an art.

I do cook from time to time, but I am still more advanced in theory than in practice. If, discovering something new is always a nice challenge.

Now I am fascinated with two ways how De Volaille is made (and most importantly, is it stuffed with butter or cheese and how, is it spiced, etc) - I am eating any De Volaille to be found on my way, getting the ideas together and soon shall be able to make it the way it shall be.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#80 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:14 PM

When you finally settle on your perfect De Volaille, please post your recipe!

And yes, MPC. Prole's smoked olives are that good, and better!

#81 AlyssaDyane

AlyssaDyane

Now with less gall.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:21 PM

Are you all cooking for more than one person? I just can't get into cooking when I'm the only one eating the food.

Being a single gal, I usually am cooking for just one person - unless I can talk the roomies into eating with me. They are pretty strict vegetable-tarians, so they wont eat everything I make. Well, that and they have lives, too. I just really like to cook, and I am overly fond of good food.

Tonight: enchiladas!

#82 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:35 PM

Shabba, you and my brother would get along great. Like you, he'd cook if he were single. In his long and happy marriage, he's done most of the cooking because he loves it. And because he loves it, he's a great cook!

Sounds like we're dopplegangers! Well, at least in the kitchen. :cheers:

My wife used to absolutely abhor cooking, but through the years of watching me enjoy it so much, and experiment on variations of her childhood favorites, she's come around to love it now.

That's actually one of the reasons we want to move. We need a kitchen big enough for us both to be in there chopping, dicing, searing and baking away!

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#83 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

Not unlike this house. Except by the time Maggie gets home after her work day, she's ready to kickback and relax. That's ok, I love to cook for her and when she's finally able to retire, we'll having fun in the kitchen... cooking...food. Really. :devil:

Comfort food tonight: A big pot of chicken-vegetable pho.

#84 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,750 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:41 PM

Mmmm, Pho. :twitchsmile:

Catfish fillets marinated in chipotle/mango salsa, with toasted pine nut couscous, and asparagus tips.

I'm atoning for last night's KFC.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#85 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:47 PM

If that's atonement, then sign me up!
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#86 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

I love to cook catfish!

Roll 'em in flour and popcorn salt! Gimme Channel Cat steaks to cook and I'm a happy man!

#87 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:15 PM

All catfish should be d-veined, chunked, soaked in buttermilf overnight, floured and fried.

Sorry, it's right up there with liver-puddin'.

The missus is making me roast the green p-nuts. She said I'm gonnna get a tummmy ache.

I got a new grill and have been grilling on hickory. Lots of hickory smoked black olives too.

Legacy.
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#88 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,750 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:49 PM

All catfish should be d-veined, chunked, soaked in buttermilf overnight, floured and fried.

When I'm in the mood to fry 'em, that's exactly what I do do.

Tell me I did not just say that. :twitchsmile:

#89 Bluescat

Bluescat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:54 PM

Okay.......you did not just say that.
Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify.
- Henry David Thoreau

#90 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,750 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:27 PM

Thanks. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association