Brian Robinson

Our wordpress friends

You're quite right, in some areas they have really nice taste.

But to take information from erowid as fact is clearly a sign of delusions.

Perhaps they've been drinking ... whiskey.

I'd say that 2.25 kilos Aa, 140 g cardamon seeds, 450 g coriander seed in 42 liters proof spirit (50% abv) is going to be quite unpalatable (even distilled). However, given the state of medicine in 1757 I'd drink it if it made me feel better.

But I don't think you were really asking me... :laf:

The wordpress folks don't really understand their own arguments. Culpepper was English. They search for references to wormwood in old alchemical/medical texts. Most of which were written by people who weren't Czech. Yes, the people there may well have been using similar recipes for medicinal elixirs, but that does not establish that the products - they're promoting as a popular beverage - have any connection to the medical or herbalist tradition.

Let's try another tack. 10 mg/L or less thujone is faux absinthe, not the real stuff. But 11 mg/L is strong absinthe, authentic? How do they know that 11 mg/L or 15 or 20 or whatever wouldn't pass the FDA tests as thujone free?

Yes it would be nice if Dr. Lachemaier would test the degradation (or not) of thujone in the bottle due to aging. (This is their argument for the low levels of thujone in bottles of pre-Ban.) However it didn't just evaporate from the bottle while the wormwood, anise, fennel, calamus, etc molecules stayed behind! And if it degraded to something else, you'd still see that something else in the GC/MS results. Now maybe some chemist among you will tell me that's not so, but then I get to learn something.

Wow. They even have to put down Marilyn Manson and Mansinthe. Because he's not (indirectly) promoting their swill any more, and they don't sell it. No mention that it's an amer (bitter) so maybe it will be here in the states some day.

That first one scales to 53.5 g Aa, 3.3 g cardamon seeds, 10 g coriander seeds per liter.

I don't know if this would louche or not. My guess not.

The quantities for cardamon and coriander are in line with recipes in Duplais.

There is the other recipe that macerates the Aa for 24 hours, strains it from the spirit, and then macerates the other ingredients for 14 days. The distill over a brysk fyre.

These friggin' guys. Luckily I was able to shut down his comments on my blog without moderation, something I'm glad I didn't have to do. I really wish an impartial entity would gain access to multiple samples of a variety of preban and conduct every form of test for t-bones that exists so we can finally have a conclusive answer. Although this will never happen and even if it did there would still be disputes. At least we don't have to worry about any Tbombs making it into the states legally.

Dr. D.W. Lachenmeier

I believe the paper is in our Absinthe in Science section. It's probably also over at www.thujone.info.

But they probably wouldn't listen to any of that. They already have complained that Dr. Lachenmeier, a respected scientist, published in several peer-reviewed journals, is really just one scientist. Implying that, well, he might be wrong. In theory yes. In practice, I doubt it.

Most the their rant begins with TAB bashing. By dredging up something he said in 2000 (seven years ago), when everyone's information was much less than now, and then claiming "well that must be true!" is disingenuous at the least.

After all he is just one person, who has never published his results in a peer-reviewed journal, well, he might have been wrong back in 2000.

What I find hilarious is that assumptions by various people that absinthe had upwards of 260 mg/L thujone are always given more credit than actual testing done by anyone else that indicates the contrary. Especially in the case of Ted, who made an assumption at one point, but then tested vintage absinthe and found himself to be wrong.

I really wish an impartial entity would gain access to multiple samples of a variety of preban and conduct every form of test for t-bones that exists so we can finally have a conclusive answer.

It's been done, and will be published in a peer-reviewed journal next year.

Damn it Ted, since I apparently work for you, where's my money?

"It's been done,"

But unless it was done by Kyle it can't be considered impartial. I mean it's known fact Dr Lachenmeier was bought off by the millions made on jade liquor, there is no other way around it. This new study not done by Lachenmeier et al? Obvious they were bought off too.

This is their 8th anti-Lucid article.

And they accuse some of us of being negative and hostile. According to absintheur, sorry, RedSalmon on Wikipedia, I have apparently "written many anti Czech articles" on my blog but with a count of 2/3 such articles, I am way behind absintheur's level of negativity! Of course since one of my articles was an interview with the "Pony-tailed founder" of the Wormwood Society, that's all just further proof of us all being "a highly organised group."

Although this will never happen and even if it did there would still be disputes.

Of course, because even after every conceivable test result is in, some devil's advocates will still insist that the thujone molecule isn't very stable over a century, and therefore the actual thujone content of the fresh pre-ban was considerably higher than it is today. :rolleyes:

While we can't get an actual 100 year test, it is possible to test this hypothesis. It is possible to see how much it degrades and at what rate and under what conditions. How much does thujone degrade from the fresh state to the dried state? How does it change during the distillation (i.e., in the pot) under such conditions? How much does it change once distilled and in the bottle?

I'll have to czech tonight, but the Lachenmeier and Nathan paper references analyses of thujone levels in the actual AA plants from various regions. Many of those chemotypes showed no thujone at all! Even those in France.

So where did the French and Swiss get this super thujone laden wormwood, if it wasn't in their own country?

I don't know, but Oxy mentioned something about the high thujone level of the Pontarlier wormwood used in the distillation of the Doubs Mystique, (and the necessity of figuring out the right proportions so that the final product would be relatively low in residual thujone), so I suppose the thujone level in fresh wormwood can vary significantly, from one crop to the next.

So far all the papers seem to point to how you treat it and where you get it from as being a major factor.

Another paper noted breakdown products left behind by UV destroyed t-jone, so it would be possible to check the bottle to find out how much tjones (if any) was destroyed by UV.

I suppose the thujone level in fresh wormwood can vary significantly, from one crop to the next.
... and according to harvest time and drying time. I seem to recall that pre-ban wormwood was harvested right as it came into flower, but that it was dried and stored for a year before use.

So far all the papers seem to point to how you treat it and where you get it from as being a major factor.

Any reference different than the Lachenmeier papers? Are these listed on our Absinthe in Science pages?

Ted is part of an evil conspiracy. Rise up for your fellow thujone and fight back against the marketing giant, don't let Ted and those that he has paid off destroy your faulty vision of absinthe hallucinations (oh and while you are at it, I have this overpriced bottle of herb soakings that Van Gogh used to drink, please buy it).

Do you mean to say that in your opinion Tom Boyd is the real real name for these other screen monikers, or yet another alias? 'cause I don't believe absintheur or Drab sinthe are single entities behind the names.