Sign in to follow this  
Mark

DRINK THE BAD, KNOW THE GOOD

hello again.

A few of you might remember 2 weeks ago I ordered the Alandia Strong68 starter kit.

I know "alandia is the devil" & "avoid the strong68"

but it was a good deal on a starter kit, and you must drink the bad to know the good.

I was a bit worried that the strong68 was going to be undrinkable after what I read here.

anyway...

I ordered a bottle of Clandestine 53 from LDF, just in case.

I received the Clandestine 53 first, 4 days after I ordered it. LDF is great!

I had to wait 6 days for the alandia strong68 kit, then I had to wait home to sign for it.

finally after both bottles arrived the wife and I decided we will drink the strong68 for a few days,

then switch to the clandestine 53. start with the bad and then appricate the good. :)

we tried

-1 strong68.

-2 sugar cubes.

-3 parts iced water.

it was like drinking HALLS cough drops with a grapefruit peel after taste.

then we tried

-1 strong68.

-3 sugar cubes.

-3 parts iced water.

the extra sugar made it sickly sweet then HALLS cough drops with a grapefruit peel after taste.

then we tried

-1 strong68.

-2 sugar cubes.

-2 parts iced water.

less water made it less bitter and less to drink :) it was to "strong"

so we decided the strong68 was a to bitter and tasted to much like cough drops.

but, it is good mixed with low acid orange juice.

SO..!

after 4 days of choking down strong 68 (2 or 3 glasses a night) nodding off on the couch in a green haze :)

we figured friday night would be the best time to try the clandestine 53.

WOW, just the smell of the Clandestine 53 was enough to convince me it was going to be great.

we tried

-1 part clandestine 53.

-1 sugar cube.

-3 parts iced water.

and it was prefect!

It had such a great taste, I was so glad to taste and smell all the natural flavors.

I am pleased to know not all absinthe tastes like cough drops and bitter grapefruit peels.

I am hooked...

what should I try next..? :cheers:

The Duplais three pack from Markus. A Blanche, a Balance and a Verte.

Jades are very good also.

I really don't want to start anything but.....

You should give it a try without sugar.

I absolutely love the sugar ritual, but it tastes a lot better without it. (in my opinion)

I really enjoy the Clandestine Marrianne. Eduoardo is the only Jade I have had,but wow !!

I also like mine without sugar sometimes. Congratulations,by the way :cheers:

I truly admire your dedication in attempting to make the strong68 palatable.

Congratulations on the ClB!

I would recommend a decent verte. It'll give you an opportunity to see the differences between a verte and a blanche.

The Duplais selections are highly recommended as well as quite affordable. The Jades are all very well regarded; personally if I were to buy a Jade today it would be the NO.

There are many different opinions and points of view on the matter of preference in absinthe. I perhaps risk offending some, but nearly any choice from LDF or Markus will provide a very satisfactory absinthe.

:cheers:

Look at the Absinthe-suisse website. ALL the clandestines (one of which you´ve tried) are excellent. I like them without sugar but the spoons are so cool.

What fun!

I have to agree with Dakini.

I really enjoy a good blanche,as I posted above, but a good verte is completely different . I have found that I really like the blanches,but I prefer the verte.It's a matter of taste.

Good luck in your tasting. :cheers:

you must drink the bad to know the good.
Knowledge is power.
The Duplais three pack from Markus. A Blanche, a Balance and a Verte.

Jades are very good also.

I agree with him.
I really don't want to start anything but.....

You should give it a try without sugar.

I absolutely love the sugar ritual, but it tastes a lot better without it. (in my opinion)

I, on the other hand, couldn't gag down even the best of absinthes without a ton of sugar. By all means, try it without sugar. Do what works for you.

I agree with Dakini as well. I was perhaps fortunate enough to have started with a decent absinthe (UE68) and worked my way up from there. I haven't had anything that most here would label drain cleaner so my appreciation is only based going from good to better. Cheers on the decision to start with the Strong68 to strengthen your appreciation for the "good" stuff.

I have become a fan of the Jade NO. The 1901 is also excellent as well as the Duplais and Balance.

I like the Clandestine with sugar, prefer the Jades without and I oscillate with the Duplais depending on my mood.

Hmmm, I'm thinking maybe I should increase my appreciation for good absinthe by attempting the sugar/fire ritual..... :paperbag3:

I enjoy the Duplais and Jade Verte's without sugar. I find them to be naturally sweeter then the Blanche's.

The Blanche's I enjoy with just 1 sugar cube.

I too bought the Strong 68 and the moulin Vert 68. I actually dumped the Strong after I had 2 to 3 glasses. I still have half a bottle of the Vert. Keeping it around to show people what Absinthe shouldn't taste like.

I would recommend any of the Jades. Although, after trying the line I do like the Edouard. Maybe because of the 72% instead of 68%. The Duplais balance is good also.

If your looking for definitely a different taste, then try the Monmartre. It is very good and a bit spicy. A lot of "seasoned" Veterans like that one.

Trying absinthe (especially verte) sans sucre is very challenging experience but really worth trying and may sometime make you never go for sugared absinthe (depending on the brand you have chosen, though).

Try drinking les bleues sans sucre (which is the most popularised method) and avec sometimes and catch the slighest nuances and let them guide your taste, only for the better :cheers:

I found drinking absinthe without sugar to be absolutely effortless, and very, very, very rewarding.

I've only tried sugar on several occasions, and found that any subtle herbal nuances were considerably masked by the added sweetness. Of course, I was a hophead from way back, so an absinthe has to be extremely bitter (like KOS, and then sugar won't help it anyway) for me to feel compelled to use any sweetener.

In sugar's defense, however, I will say that it does add texture.

I've definitely become no-sugar in the past year. Early last summer drinking a glass of CLB without sugar would make me gag from the excessive astringency and dryness. But by the time I finished off the bottle I could taste the inherent sweetness, didn't really notice the astringency, and didn't use sugar at all anymore.

I shall try a CLB-SUGARFREE tonight.

thanks for the recommendations, I think I am gonna try the 1901 next. :twitchsmile:

Hi

Being a novice, I made the same wrong purchase. Not only did I get the Strong 68 but it'e cousin Gold 68.

Moderation not being one of my strongest atributes, I found what swill is.

I've listened to these fine people posting here and have enjoyed many good drinks.

I'm pretty smitten with Kübler at the moment, I think I got the last two bottles at LdF.

Have fun searching! :cheers:

Seems like "drink the good, know the bad" would be a better alternative.

As for sugar, it's a matter of taste. I generally don't do it but it depends on the absinthe.