Since our good friend Robert "DrinkBoy" Hess has been too busy (or modest) to post about this, I thought I'd pass it on.

Robert has been working with a Seattle based company that's doing a web-based series of shows. Their plan is to start off with food/cuisine types of shows, and they wanted a cocktail show to be their first offering, so they asked Robert to do some cocktail pieces for them.

After a sucessful pilot last year they decided to spend the weekend out at Robert's house earlier this year and filmed about thirty episodes.

This weekend the first episode went live at SmallScreenNetwork.com and there will be new episodes pretty much weekly.

To quote Robert:

"My goal with these shows is to try to provide an 'approachable' introduction to cocktails and mixology. Something that will allow the average bar customer to better understand what they might be able to order at the bar, or perhaps even try to make at home, as well as hopefully providing the average bartender with some information and details that they might not have previously been aware of. But in general, something that folks will just have fun watching, and want to come back for more in the future. Hope you enjoy it!"

I did, so check it out.

Very cool, I'll be eager to catch further shows. Good work, DrinkBoy! :cheers:

(and I know just the spoon to stir that champagne cocktail with ;) )

Thanks for the link, Hiram.

Well done!

Only reservation I have is that the theme music playing at the beginning and end of the video is also used for one of the shows (or perhaps for promotional purposes) on The Cooking Channel, so you might get a Cease and Desist caution from that direction if the cocktail series becomes popular.

I liked it, though. I'll be checking out the other episodes as they come along. :thumbup:

That was soooo cute!!!!

I can't wait to see more episodes!

DrinkBoy - you have the same voice as one of my friend's dad's. Freaked me out a bit.

Well done!

Only reservation I have is that the theme music playing at the beginning and end of the video is also used for one of the shows (or perhaps for promotional purposes) on The Cooking Channel, so you might get a Cease and Desist caution from that direction if the cocktail series becomes popular.

I liked it, though. I'll be checking out the other episodes as they come along. :thumbup:

Ha! This show should be ON the Cooking Channel! Do you mean The Food Network? In any case, very very cool! :cheers:

Classy job, DB! :cheers:

Now I think I need one of those early editions of Jerry Thomas's bartender's manual...suddenly my 1910 copy of 'Jack's Manual' seems so twentieth century.

It's always wonderful to watch a professional mix a drink the right way. DrinkBoy (and anybody else) would cringe if he saw how I mixed my drinks.

Very cool DB,looking forward to more. :thumbup:

Thanks for the link Hiram

hey, nice one Drinkboy. I look forward to further installments. You know, I have always wanted to know how you decide what type of Bitters to use for what drink. Would you get on that one for me?

I must say that was most fascinating. And I thought I wasn't interested in cocktails.

The absinthe fountain in the back was a very nice touch. I hope it gets some use in a future show.

:cheers:

:thumbup: We enjoyed that very much too.....please continue to link us to new episodes.

I, too, would like to hear your answer to ShaiHulud about bitters.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Never had a champagne cocktail, it is now on my must try list.

Good observation on the fountain. I watched the vid before reading these posts. I saw the fountain but I've become so accustomed to having mine around it just seemed like a natural item in the background and I didn't think twice about it.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Since our good friend Robert "DrinkBoy" Hess has been too busy (or modest) to post about this, I thought I'd pass it on.
...thanks for doing my work for me :->

...I wasn't involved with the music selection process, but I know those guys are aware of copyright issues, so I can only assume that they purchased the rights to the music...

Now I think I need one of those early editions of Jerry Thomas's bartender's manual...suddenly my 1910 copy of 'Jack's Manual' seems so twentieth century.
...they are supposed to be posting a link to where you can get that, but haven't yet. Here it is

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0974325937/

and the $9 is a lot cheaper than the $400+ I paid for mine :->

You know, I have always wanted to know how you decide what type of Bitters to use for what drink. Would you get on that one for me?
...used to be simple, there was just Angostura to choose from.

Now days the basic list is:

Angostura

Peychaud

"Aromatic" (Fees, The Bitter Truth)

orange (Fees, Regans, The Bitter Truth, Hermes, Hoppe, Collins...)

peach

lemon (Fees, The Bitter Truth)

mint

Oh yeah... and "Hess Bitters"... which is currently only available at my house, or at the Pegu Club in New York :->

There are no "rules" for which bitters to use, it's just part of the process, and at a certain level can be used interchangeably. However I tend towards an "Aromatic" bitters (ala Angostura) for whiskey drinks, Orange for gin drinks, and have found that lemon works well in tequila drinks. Peychaud and the others come to play when their individual flavor elements appear to simply be the right ones to let loose in the drinks.

Next one is up. But I'm having trouble watching it. The sound is fine but the video lags really bad. In fact, it after resetting everything and deleting my temp files it lags exactly the same every time, which makes me think the actual file is messed up. Anyone else having trouble with it?