• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:43 PM

Although I'm not a chocolate person (I prefer licorice, Swedish Fish, Gummi Bears, etc) I do miss See's bordeauxs. I've also found that Lindt's milk chocolate goes great with Lindt's white chocolate. I'm not very fond of the dark chocolates and I can't tell the difference between Belgian and Hersey's. What's your favorites?
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#2 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

I like Godiva 72% dark and Dagoba organic dark, 72% or 74%, I forget, with different stuff added like Lavender or fruit/berries. These are easy to find locally.
For everyday, Hershey's special dark works for me. Oh, M&M's come in dark chocolate also. Yummy!

It's so much better for you than milk chocolate or white chocolate. JMO. ;)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#3 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,621 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

I don't actually remember some of the brand names, but Michel Cluziel, and El Rey are two of them...I'm a big fan of bitter chocolate, even the extreme 99 and 100% varieties (where a little goes a long way), because, although they are incredibly dry in taste, underneath the dryness there is an amazing depth, and range of flavors. For regular consumption, I'm happy with a bitter chocolate that's about 72-85%.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#4 Die Gruene Fee

Die Gruene Fee

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:31 PM

My husband has got me hooked on German Nougat.
(Imagine a chocoalte bar with the flavor of Nutella)
I also enjoy belgian chocolates and Cadbury -Mini- Cream Eggs on rare occasions

Dark Chocolate-I have to be in the mood for it.
White chocolate- Good in small portions.

However, more than a few bites of Milk or Dark chocolate make me feel icky.

Good thing that I prefer uber-sugary candies...
(ie-See's Scotch Kisses: butterscotch-drenched marshmallows!)

But what is my favorite?
White Chocoalte fondue with Amaretto in it...
*drool*
Pass the Bananas, Marshmallows, and that long thin fork this way, if you please?
"As the evening starts to crawl, Dark shadows on the walls
Are dancing and inviting you, To come and taste it all"~ The Damned

#5 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,260 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:36 PM

... I can't tell the difference between Belgian and Hersey's.

Easy: the Hershery's is the one that smells like vomit. Seriously. Smell it.

I'm a milk chocolate kind of guy usually. Godiva, Lindt, Michel Cluizel, Venchi, Scharffen Berger, even Cadbury.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#6 Bob

Bob

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:45 PM

Terry's Dark Chocolate Orange. In fact, any dark chocolate bar with Orange in it is good. I also like Cadbury's Flake bar.

#7 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

I love Nestle Aero bars, especially the one with mint bubbles. Sadly, the best chocolatier in Richmond closed down last month and I can't find it anywhere else locally.
"The decline of the aperitif may well be one of the most depressing phenomena of our time." -- Luis Bunuel

#8 Bluescat

Bluescat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

Dark, dark dark chocolate. Darker the better. Lindt pretty good. Hersheys has a new very dark chocolate that Costco carries that definitely doesn't smell like vomit.....it is good. White and milk chocolate are a waste of time.
Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify.
- Henry David Thoreau

#9 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:29 PM

I like all chocolate! Godiva is my favorite. I'm a chocoholic. Damn....now I'm hungry.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#10 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:13 PM

Dan's Chocolates are simply the best. Dan's truffles are hand made in small batches and shipped via airmail to stay fresh. The shells are thin and the fillings are soft and smooth, because they don't sit on a shelf in a store for a year, like some other commercial chocolates. I used to be a total Godiva/Lindt devotee, but once I had Dan's it was all over. They are a bit spendy, but entirely worth it compared to anything else you can buy and put into your mouth. :dribble:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#11 absinthe_de

absinthe_de

Absinthe-Distribution.com

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:57 PM

Try a piece of dark chocolate with a tiny sip of pure Duplais Verte - that's phantastic...

#12 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:03 PM

Last time I had Duplais Verte it was with a chocolate brownie with chocolate ice cream on top.

It fit very nicely.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#13 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:39 PM

Chocolate? Yes, thank you.

The smell of vomit properly belongs with cheese, not chocolate. And it is appropriate and good.

Damn, now where am I going to find a Hershey bar to sniff?

#14 Mrs. Hiram

Mrs. Hiram

First Lady

• Root Admin
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:50 PM

CADBURY'S!!!!!

Cadbury's milk chocolate rules. Which reminds me, I still need to write a letter to the powers that be at Cadbury's, to make a complaint about them having changed the colour of the wrapper from gold to silver. But their chocolate still rules.
"We're organisms; we're conceived, we're born, we live, we die, we decay.
But as we decay we feed the world of the living: plants and bugs and bacteria".
~ Dr. B. Bass (forensic anthropologist)

#15 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:10 AM

Lindt Excellence, Lindt with whisky or cognac, Lindt with hazelnuts and raisins, and for a change anything from Lindt :thumbup:
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#16 GrayWolf

GrayWolf

The one that keeps disappearing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:54 AM

Cadbury's cream eggs? It's that time of the year again!

I adore Godiva and Lindt, but also Droste
Alcohol may be the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.

#17 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:58 AM

I've had orange flavored chocolate that's also shaped like an orange, but I don't see it very often and I keep forgetting who makes it.

Ghirardelli used to make an awesome orange creme filled thin chocolate square. I know someone who's wife works for the company and he told me that they discontinued it. :(

I've never smelled a nasty Hershey before.
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#18 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,804 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:37 AM

Zchocolate is some of the best I've tried.

They have a range of 'Origins' chocolates which are small batch bars that are made with only one type of cocoa bean. They really give you an amazing look at the difference in flavors between the beans from different areas.

I tried to link the exact page, but it's all flash, I think. Either way, go to the site, click on products (on the left hand side of the page), scroll down, and select the Single Origin Bars. I suggest buying a "Chocolate Paradise", which is a sampler of all 6 single origins: Venezuela, Ecuador, Madagascar, Dom. Rep., Papua New Guinnea and Ivory Coast. Just fantastic stuff.

And no, I don't work for them. ;)
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#19 Le Gimp

Le Gimp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:25 AM

I've got two bars of Lindt's 85% on my computer desk at home. I usually have a square or two in the evening.

A friend of mine found Lindt's 99% in Germany, I've yet to find it locally.

I've got a 45 oz bag (yup, 1.275Kg) of M&M peanut candies in a drawer at work for emergencies.

Chocolate? na...

#20 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:27 AM

Damn, you reminded me of Reese's Pieces....mmm MMM!!

#21 MTgrayling

MTgrayling

Thymallus arcticus viridius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:40 AM

Easy: the Hershey's is the one that smells like vomit. Seriously. Smell it.

I'm a milk chocolate kind of guy usually. Godiva, Lindt, Michel Cluizel, Venchi, Scharffen Berger, even Cadbury.

CADBURY'S!!!!!

Cadbury's milk chocolate rules. Which reminds me, I still need to write a letter to the powers that be at Cadbury's, to make a complaint about them having changed the colour of the wrapper from gold to silver. But their chocolate still rules.

All the Cadbury bars I can find in this area are made in Hershey, PA, by Hershey's. Are you able to get authentic english Cadbury?

I tend to like a few of the the Lu-Pim little schoolboy biscuits with the dark chocolate on top (45%) at night, and they do go wonderfully with a strong absinthe like the Duplais verte, Jade E72 or even the Ike. The 70% cocoa biscuits have a deep intense almost smoky flavor that I crave at times.

Le petit ecolier biscuits
I had my taste buds amputated many years ago after an unfortunate toothbrush accident, any reviews or opinions I give are suspect and should be viewed as utterly useless.

Jeremy Bentham, the Pieta, and a Precious Few Grayling ; by David Quammen

#22 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,804 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

I LOVE THOSE THINGS!!!! The giant near me carries them now. They have 4 varieties. My favorite is the dark chocolate 45%.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#23 absinthe_de

absinthe_de

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:11 PM

A friend of mine found Lindt's 99% in Germany, I've yet to find it locally.

That's a pretty hefty one - I bought a 50gr bar maybe a month ago and still have some squares left over. It's a quite extreme experience of taste...

Attached File  lindt_99_noirissime.jpg   22.59KB   19 downloads

#24 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:20 PM

I do agree, it is hardcore chocoshock. But if you eat it with one sugar cube per square (which I strongly recommend) it is simply delicious.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#25 Selmac

Selmac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:41 PM

We have a local place in the Twin Cities that makes good truffles. I think they are called Legacy Chocolates; and I encourage any and all Minnesotans to give them a try. Out of all the foods that I have found enjoyable with absinthe, chocolate has to be the one I like the best. I would have said 'the darker the better' but 99%? You guys are nuts!
Walking the ocean
Any time I take the notion

#26 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:07 PM

What do the percentages mean?

#27 absinthe_de

absinthe_de

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

99% Cacao

#28 Bob

Bob

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

What do the percentages mean?

Percentage of pure cacao in the chocolate mixture. Dark chocolate has a higher cacao content than milk chocolate does, which gives it a more intense taste, but less sweetness than milk chocolate. People's taste in chocolate tends to change as they grow older, from milk chocolate when younger to darker chocolates as you grow older. That's a generalisation, but backed up by studies. More people prefer milk chocolate to dark chocolate, but dark has been making inroads in recent years.

#29 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

Ah, thanks. So how much cacao is in white chocolate? roughly?

#30 Chris

Chris

• PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:13 PM

None; but it does have coca butter. I don't think it is even technically chocolate.
"This is their busted future, and this is our dreams."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association