Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Beer question

A neighbor of mine gave me two bottles of beer that he made 8 or so years ago, one a wheat, the other he didn't know. I know there are at least a few beer aficionados here so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if these will still be good. Thanks.

The rule of thumb here is the higher the alcohol content of the beer, the better chance it has of aging well. Generally, barleywines, eibocks, and imperial stouts will be much longer lived than your standard lager, or lower strength ale.

The exceptions to this rule include certain Belgian specialty ales, such as Lambics, which are spontaneously fermented with wild yeasts, and seem to have an incredidbly long shelf life of up to fifty years, or more.

Chances are, however, that your friend's two beers are probably well past their peak (to say the least) after 8 years.

I know next to nothing about beer but I would say there is only one way to really find out. Pizza sounds like a good idea....

Unfortunately,I cannot posively answer your question.I can however agree with Lister,open it and see.I think you will know right away if it is bad :cheers: