deaddybear

Cigars and Absinthe

OK, so the newbie jumps into deep water...

When I introduced myself, I learned that some of you are fellow cigar fans (hat tip to Hiram!). I am new to absinthe, but not at all to the cigar world. At this point, I am almost exclusively smoking cuban cigars (the exception are the Padron maddies) - but I've noticed they can overpower the absinthes I've tried. Granted I like the strong smokes - Bolivars especially. Last night I paired a Romeo y Julietta Churchill with the Blanche Traditionelle "Brut d'alambic" 'Essai 3'...it was the best I've tried.

My question? What pairings have my fellow herfers discovered that really work? I am open to suggestions (as long as they have nothing to do with Philly Blunts - yeah, i'm a cigar snob!)

I suggest doing a search. We've had several threads on this in the past.

Cubans tend to be a bit too spicy to drink alongside absinthe. I've found the same with most Opus X and Forbidden X products. However, I paired a 1995 Opus X with some Ike the other day, and it worked well. The aging of the cigar mellowed out the flavors.

Onyx cigars tend to be flavorful, yet not too spicy. Try one of them.

I like the CAO MX2 which has a Brazilian Maduro binder and a Conn. Madure wrapper.

I tried it with Jade PF1901. It was definitely a treat. :thumbup:

I will have to try an Onyx at some point. Still doing some research though.

I'm going to try a CAO CX2 which has a Cameroon binder and cameroon wrapper although it may be too spicy.

I will let you know.

CAOs tend to be too spicy too. I typically use something simple, like a Thompson Wall Street with absinthe. Also the God of Fire cigars work very well, as they are quite mild. A stupendous smoke.

I am finding that I need to change my prefernces with absinthe - the strong 'gars just bury the flavor in smoke. I was thinking about giving the Montecristo No. 4 a run - it is such a mellow cuban, it might work...of course I don't have any in the humidor. I am planning on hitting the local cigar shop to see what I can find. I used to smoke Onyx all the time, but drifted into the stronger smokes...maybe it is a good time to revisit them!

I started off with Monte Cristos because of their mellow flavor but I've "upgraded" to Maduros, which is why I like some Onyx and Macanudos. I'm not a cigar snob, or a snob of any sort :) , so I even like some of the cheap cigars from Thompson's - the Belmondo Lonsdale has a nice mellow taste as well.

I have found, for myself, that Maduros go well with very flavorful things like a carne asada burrito from Roberto's in San Diego.

I've found that a mild claro goes pretty well with absinthe, although I've also enjoyed the CAO MX2s with it.

At the risk of starting a sugar fight, try varying the amount that you use. It can have a great impact on the flavor, especially when pairing with other things, whether food or smokes.

I've found that a mild claro goes pretty well with absinthe, although I've also enjoyed the CAO MX2s with it.

At the risk of starting a sugar fight, try varying the amount that you use. It can have a great impact on the flavor, especially when pairing with other things, whether food or smokes.

I broke down and dipped into my "vintage" cigar stash and paired a 1996 Fuente "Hemingway" with Jade PF1901 (2:1 with one sugar, thank you very much). It was great! The cigar was very mellow and brought out the flavor in the absinthe rather than fought with it. Of course, my aged cigars have a limit...so I will keep looking for some current smokes to pair, but at least now I am sure that you can smoke a more full bodied cigar without masking the absinthe's flavors.

Claros are nice, I just lean toward the maduros and more full bodied cigars - but hearing your advice, i will certainly give it a try (also the CAO! thanks gfpoet).

On the sugar front - do you find more or less works better with a cigar? My VERY limited experiance seems to be that more works better - eg the Hemingway - since I usually don't use sugar.

The only time i ever smoked while absinthisizing, it was a Run Runner (snob alert!)

At the most (some years ago) i smoked a cigar a week, usually a Fuente.

As bizzare as it may sound my favorite drink while smoking is ....Orange Crush...straight from the can no less :pirate:

Edited by OneBadPig

OK, Onyx is a good match! I had forgotten how nice they are, I stopped smoking them when I moved to stronger smokes...my bad! I am finding that my aged cigars taste much better with absinthe - especially the cuban Montecristos - a very smooth buttery smoke paired with the Jade PF1901 works very well for me. Maybe it is the blending of the tobacco flavors or just the mellowing effects of aging the tobacco? Regardless, I keep experimenting (more absinthe and cigars? all in the name of science!)

I have Perique on my next order list and I am making a run to BevMo tonight to grab a bottle of the Delmore - I will let you know how it goes!

I tried something that Shabba53 did. He mixed the Dalmore Cigar Malt with some Perique.

I must say that it does kick a**

Thanks Shabba53!!!!

Not bizarre to me because I like Dr Pepper with mine, but usually in a glass with ice. :)

Nice!!! Down here i have Dublin Dr.Pepper (made with cane sugar insted of nasty corn syrup)

My dentist specifically forbids it ;)

Finally made the BevMo runs and scored the last bottle of Delmore Cigar Malt in stock (along with some Hendrick's Gin and all the Chimay Red they had in stock). Props to all with that suggestion - I paired the Delmore with a RyJ Churchill and had a most grand time...

On the Cigar with Absinthe front (how did we get back on topic???), I tried Duplais Verte with a Fuent Curly Head and think I have found my "everyday" match...actually I think the Dalmore has stolen the regular pairing with my cigars.

Dublin Dr. Pepper is good stuff! I order it every once in a while - almost as expensive as absinthe by the time they ship it to Cali!!! I like Coca-Cola made with canse sugar as well...I wish they would dump that nasty corn syrup completely.

Hey Elf, those sound pretty interesting...I am going to the local cigar shop this week and will see if they have any. If no, then I guess an online order is in order.