This is not a chat-room

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
117 replies to this topic

#61 InAbsinthia

InAbsinthia

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:33 AM

The one thing I can truly say about the posters here is that at least they are, on the whole, very nice folks. Or at least their posts are:-) Even the "jibba-jabba" is nice stuff and yes, while I think we could all do with a tad more thought before each post, I certainly hope we don't lose the friendly banter completely. I've been turned off of more than one forum because of mean-spirited posting, and it's always a pleasure to come back to WS.
all the green children pine for you
they learned all your secrets and made up your mind for you
although they were unkind to you
all the green children pine for you.
-- Winterpills, "a benediction"

#62 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:22 AM

I, for one, am doing so much better. For example, I am not posting simply to point out that InAbsinthia said that we are very nice... on the hole.

That would be immature, off topic, and an excellent illustration of what we ought not to do around here. I say "would be" because, as I mentioned, I am not doing it.
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#63 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:07 AM

Werd.

Ooops.
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#64 DesertWolf

DesertWolf

Absinthe Geek

• Content Team
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:06 PM

I, for one, am doing so much better. For example, I am not posting simply to point out that InAbsinthia said that we are very nice... on the hole.

That would be immature, off topic, and an excellent illustration of what we ought not to do around here. I say "would be" because, as I mentioned, I am not doing it.

And I want to be the first to say we are proud of you Shai!
I wish I had as much self control as you! :devil:
I start to feel like I am in an existentialist play written by a person with multiple personality disorder...

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." -- Philip K. Dick

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart." -- ee cummings

#65 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:33 AM

Hiram was serious when he opened this topic.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin and vodka.
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#66 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• 2,385 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:04 AM

Ok Zman, I know he was serious and I am taking it seriously as well... really. I just think one can take something seriously and still joke about it a bit too. I really meant no disrespect to Hiram's point and I know that this is a big issue for you and others as well. I like you and respect the fact that you are almost all business around here. I also respect your position as a moderator.

I do remember that many new people find us and like us because of the sense of humor that displays itself here from time to time (I am not claiming to be the pinnacle of WS humor but I do enjoy it) and I thought we had established the difference between chat room style emoticon and three word posts ad nauseum vs. an attempt at a joke every once and a while.

For what it's worth, my comment was tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be disrespectful to anyone or to undermine the point of this thread.
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#67 Dr. Verte

Dr. Verte

Professeur d’Absinthe

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:27 AM

License means I decide what is right and wrong and I do whatever I want to do, whenever I want to do it, because I have the ability to.
Freedom is knowing the difference between right and wrong and, thus, choosing to do the right thing because it is what I should do.

#68 DesertWolf

DesertWolf

Absinthe Geek

• Content Team
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:04 AM

Ok Zman, I know he was serious and I am taking it seriously as well... really. I just think one can take something seriously and still joke about it a bit too. I really meant no disrespect to Hiram's point and I know that this is a big issue for you and others as well. I like you and respect the fact that you are almost all business around here. I also respect your position as a moderator.

I do remember that many new people find us and like us because of the sense of humor that displays itself here from time to time (I am not claiming to be the pinnacle of WS humor but I do enjoy it) and I thought we had established the difference between chat room style emoticon and three word posts ad nauseum vs. an attempt at a joke every once and a while.

For what it's worth, my comment was tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be disrespectful to anyone or to undermine the point of this thread.

I second this, and I admit I am guilty of off topic remarks at times, but things can go too far in the other direction. Things were a bit slow around here for a couple of days after this post first came up. MasterPC hasn't been around in over a week.
If a person is just looking for the basic info on absinthe, that can all be found on the main part of the WS site. If someone is looking for a community, which I for one view the WS forums as, then an active forum is necessary to keep people involved. I really love the community here, and would hate to see it become too strict and straitlaced Unless things have changed this is not an academic forum, but it is a place to learn about absinthe, and meet others who are interested in absinthe, maybe even make some new friends.
I am not going to repeat what Shai has already said, I just wanted to add some of my view to the discussion.
I start to feel like I am in an existentialist play written by a person with multiple personality disorder...

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." -- Philip K. Dick

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart." -- ee cummings

#69 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • 11,390 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:10 PM

I don't mind a poke now and again to help lighten things up, but I think that maybe the likes of me and Zman and some of the others have an instinctive, knee-jerk response to what we can invariably spot as the sort of post that will start a difficult-to-stop cascade of nonsense. It's like a catalyst; some people are relatively immune to it while a minority just can't resist.

I struggled mightily (and successfully) to avoid that perfect straight line in post #61 that Shai gave in to.

I love the humor here, and I do NOT want the place to go all cold and boring and academic all the time. Yes, we are a community, but we are also a public service and educational resource. I obviously need to work on communicating my point more effectively. Judging from responses here and in past threads, I'm coming across way stronger and harder than I intend.

I would like to avoid long rambles off-topic in the more informative and serious threads. And remember: serious does not need to be sombre.

We just need to do an intervention on Absomphe.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.
Every bit helps the further development of the site and future events.

#70 Ari (Eric Litton)

Ari (Eric Litton)

Meega, nala kweesta!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:28 PM

I'm coming across way stronger and harder.

*Cough*
Perhaps a IPB "remove double entendre" hack needs to be created.
Possibly a shock keyboard for Absomphe as well.

"Oscar Wilde once traveled to an all-cat dimension and appeared on the Late-Late Show with Catman O'Brien."

#71 DesertWolf

DesertWolf

Absinthe Geek

• Content Team
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

Hiram, From my point of view, your tone and comments were at an appropriate level. Zman actually came across stricter and harsher than you. As I said this is from my point of view.

As for Absomphe, good luck, maybe someone could hold the last of his Abyss hostage .....

#72 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:28 AM

Well you folks could just drive over to his house in East Bumfuck the night of the party. Knock on the door. When he opens it, nab 'im! And take his last bootle of the Abyss along - to serve as samples at the party.

That'll teach him to say he can't attend... :dev-cheers:

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#73 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,342 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:36 AM

I am now born again with seriousity, and thus will not dignify such frivolous chatter with a response.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#74 CurtisG

CurtisG

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:21 AM

I am now born again with seriousity, and thus will not dignify such frivolous chatter with a response.

Good. Now you must chop down the mightiest tree in the forest with...A HERRING :)
But seriously, jokes and silliness are great coupled with a comment that is on topic.
Sorta like what i just did

#75 Jaded Prole

Jaded Prole

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

While I am fascinated with absinthe on may levels, there really is only so much to say about it and I find a little digression entertaining. Social interaction can be killed if it's too stilted. I'm not into bondage though some folks may be. The developement of real communities online is a fascinating thing but it has to flow naturally.

#76 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,342 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:56 PM

But seriously, jokes and silliness are great coupled with a comment that is on topic.

Perhaps, but quoting the post directly above yours is not. ;)

#77 CurtisG

CurtisG

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:32 PM

I know, but i type so slowly that sometimes another post gets in before mine, then my post looks sillier
than usual :twitchsmile:

#78 DesertWolf

DesertWolf

Absinthe Geek

• Content Team
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

Don't know if that is possible OBP :devil:
Now back to our original topic....

#79 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • 11,390 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:22 AM

While I am fascinated with absinthe on may levels, there really is only so much to say about it and I find a little digression entertaining.

Agreed! The operative word here is "little." WS isn't intended to meet all of its members' online needs. It's only one forum, not a place to live. When I find that I'm done talking about absinthe, I head over to the food forums.

Social interaction can be killed if it's too stilted. I'm not into bondage though some folks may be. The developement of real communities online is a fascinating thing but it has to flow naturally.

Social interaction can also be killed if it's left to chaos, or at least made intolerable to many. People behave differently online than they do in person. In person it's more obvious when someone isn't contributing their fair share of silence. Online, protected from disapproving stares and other subtle gestures and expressions, and sitting alone in your underwear, it's easy to remain oblivious or apathetic to the normal social self-moderation we take for granted as a part of courteous interaction. That's why forums have moderators who try to gently keep things relatively on course. When the moderators get harsh, it's not for purposes of bondage or censorship, it's because there are a minority of individuals who are oblivious to the gentle nudges and need a brick upside the head to get their attention.

I know, but i type so slowly that sometimes another post gets in before mine, then my post looks sillier than usual :twitchsmile:

That's chat-room thinking right there. Here, you can go back and edit your post. ;)

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.
Every bit helps the further development of the site and future events.

#80 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:09 PM

This forum has been such a terrific source of information for me that I check in several times a day. OK, a lot. I find it real easy to get caught up in the whirlpool effect.
I believe a nudge back to topic isn't a bad thing. I know in my case, it makes catching up easier with fewer off topic posts but the entertainment was sometimes worth it. Guidelines are good to have. Subtle reminders are taken to heart. I hope my posts have been satisfactory,lately, but folks make it so easy when they leave the door open for snappy one liner type responses.

I've had my hands slapped for punctuation, grammar and spelling but I believe it's worth it for the info/opinions available.

It's easy to get comfortable here.

My current $.02
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#81 WhyteKnight

WhyteKnight

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:30 AM

I still read the board often, but I can't find anywhere to say anything useful that has'nt been said before.

Hrm. I must say I find myself in a similar boat, though I don't get a chance to pop in very often these days due to time constraints and extreme laziness. Between that and the fairly high rate of posting it makes giving things a brief skim-through difficult, so I can see what Hiram means. Also, finding ways to contribute in a constructive manner can be sort of tough for me when faced with so many more experienced and (somewhat) intimidating intellects.

#82 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:22 AM

For several weeks I've only posted when I had something meaningful to contribute...

#83 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:06 AM

Holy xit, man. Where you been holed up?
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#84 Nymphadora

Nymphadora

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:37 AM

Holed up? :laf:

Oops! I SINCERELY apologize for my chatty response to this very important thread.

Edited by Nymphadora, 17 April 2007 - 12:07 PM.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#85 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:27 PM

First-off, super-glad I took a long hiatus recently from the boards (by the way- that had NOTHING to do with post-padding and post-padders). Also though, glad Hiram brought it up. It gets annoying, and while I know even on the best-intended boards, derailing 'just happens', it'd be nice for folks to at least attempt to check it in check... for at least a few posts on any given topic.

"what ya drinking tonight" is a great exception though.

Oh, is this ever a perfect place for the old 'NOT THE LOUNGE' emoticon though. Frankly, ya wanna go off on tangs', babble, post-pad, or just post a series of smilies (they at least used to be of legendary proportions there), have at it... there.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#86 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:05 AM

I do miss MPC though. Hasn't been around since this thread was opened.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#87 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,342 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:22 AM

Unfortunately, I doubt he'll be returning anytime soon.

Not that I've been communicating with him, it's just a strong feeling I have.

#88 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:27 AM

I sent him a PM about a week ago, but haven't heard anything. I think you're right.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#89 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:29 AM

I have been in communication with him.....it's been a week or so but we have discussed the issue at length.
Nice guy to talk to. Terrific enthusiasm. :)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#90 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:39 AM

Well tell that turd to reply to my message then! I'd like to hear from him!

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association